Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorporating solar panels into BER

Options
  • 06-04-2010 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Has anyone ever applied a solar panel to a BER? im only getting savings of €60 per year because although the main water heating system falls and so to does the secondary system. the cost of the main space heating system and the secondary space heating system increases and so too does the costs of running the pumps and fans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

what are you using to work out the savings per year?? It used to be in deap but was removed as the SEI data was unrelieable as the prices were changing so quickly. However if the main heating system also heats the DHW it could be correct as solar is IMO still very expensive for a partial solution to DHW heating!! 50 year payback on a 3k system!!!:eek: (if your sums are correct!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mickeyie05

Yes the main water heating system would be the solar i was hoping and the secondary being the boiler! Would i be right to say 70% of the main water heating system would be a saving from oil and that 30% would still be provided from the boiler?

In terms of Deap the primary heating system will be the main heating system. Solar will not be counted as a secondary heating system it will only imapct on the DHW calcualtions provided you input the correct data on the solar water heating tab.

so would solar be regarded as the main water heating system or was i right the first time when i said the savings were only €60 per year

Micky the main water heating for what? Solar will only contribute to Domestic Hot water, (DHW what you wash your hands with) and will not add anything to the main heating system other than slightly reducing the load. It will account for IMO approx 50% of DHW during the year.

• Advertisement

No6 i was asking in regards to the heading in the BER results section called "Main Water Heating System"

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Mickeyie05 wrote: »
    No6 i was asking in regards to the heading in the BER results section called "Main Water Heating System"

im open for correction on this, but this is my reading....

look at your results sheet, see the "delivered energy" for "main water heating system".

now look at the next results sheet, the Part L sheet. Here you will see 'solar water heating system'. Check the "total contribution" figure.

divide the 'delivered energy' figure into the 'total contribution' figure and multiply by 100 to get the percentage of DHW delivered by the solar collection system.

sydthebeat you an absolute gentleman! You've sorted out my problem very much appreciated thank you very much

Advertisement