Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice needed

• 06-04-2010 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭

lads is this a daft idea,im thinking if i can sell both my bikes and buy a do it all bike so to speak.let me try and explain.i have a look kxlight full carbon all top notch gear never raced minded like a baby perfect nick and a newish thorn touring bike again all top notch gear.
    i want to buy a touring bike that's super light and strong that wont cause any stress on the frame when loaded up.
    i would need to sell one or both my bikes to do this,so whats my best option on selling and any thoughts on what bikes is out there that i could have a look at that fit's the bill.
    hope all this makes sense

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Strong Light Cheap, pick two comes to mind except in this case you cant pick strong and light together :p

A superlight touring bike can never be the same as a superlight racing bike.
    you need to decide what you mean by a superlight touring bike, some people will take this to be 12kg, while others 9kg?

Anyway a dawes supergalaxy fits the bill, proven tourer, but it wont be superlight (strong touring wheels weigh a TON in racing terms) uless you get light road wheels and make it go from about 12kg to 10kg maybe less when you are using it in race bike mode.

I have also have a Kinesis Racelight also (as well as the Dawes) its very light, some would say super light :p, is aluminium so much stronger than carbon and almost as light, has braze on holes so can fit a rear rack and is designed for winter riding (mudguards, long reach brakes, and wider fork so can fit touring wheels) and LIGHT to MODERATE touring (no front rack, though you could fit one if really wanted) Its a great all rounder!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

A titanium frame might be an option as a strong and light frame. Several companies make them, including: Litespeed, Merlin, and Lynskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

thank's for the info lads i know litespeed had the amazon as there touring bike but not sure if they still make it.
    i have seem the new ultra galaxy dont really like it my thorn is a much better bike imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Why do you want to sell 2 perfectly good bikes and get one compromised bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Why do you want to sell 2 perfectly good bikes and get one compromised bike?

Id say there is an OH involved somewhere :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

+ 1. It'd be a shame to let both go. Unfortunately different bikes are suitable for different purposes. We should have one of each type...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Don't do it, honestly don't. It will be compromised. I have two fast/light racers in titanium and carbon (Litespeed Archon and a Planet X) and a titanium tourer (Van Nicholas Amazon) and while the latter is a great lightweight tourer it is not a patch on the racers for unloaded riding.

Why do you want an ultra-light tourer? I have done short light tours (up to 5 days) on my racer with a saddlebag.

If you MUST have only one bike I would get a fast audax bike that will take a rack and mudguards; take them off for summer spins.

But again, why exactly do you want to do this?

If it involves simply buying another bike, that is fine, indeed should be encouraged, but I would not sell your current ones. You won't get back what they are worth to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

ok lads thank's i'll admit defeat maybe i will stick to what i have as you say i not going to get much back on my bikes .thanks again i've come back down to earth.;)

Advertisement