Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software/programme for compiling family trees

Options
  • 06-04-2010 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

I have to draw up a family tree for research I'm doing, and was wondering if there's a programme or software that would help in laying it out? Or is it possible to lay it out using word, etc.?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There are a lot of them out there - just google "genealogy programs". I use genopro (free) which gives a pictorial representation (circle for a woman, square for a man) in a "tree" format. Other programs like personal ancestral file (free as well) are more like a flow chart and just use words - that type is better for just depicting direct ancestry.

I don't recommend using any that are online because it's too much personal information to give out. I may be paranoid but there's nothing better than a family tree for identity theft.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Thanks for your reply. I'll have a look into some of the free programmes that are online.

Advertisement