Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Random Photo thread XIX - DO NOT QUOTE PHOTOS 800PX SIZE LIMIT.

1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

[IMG][/img]EC2B0734998444F39987BE9E14C74F61-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

4595095153_62ab271863.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

123.1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Xiney wrote: »
    ffs

a bit of a copy & paste job for fun = fair use, no doubt about it.

and I doubt keps is going to try and sell that image - no offence intended keps, it's just not something that anyone would buy really since it's just a bit of fun!

Fair Use is a principle in American intellectual property law. It does not apply here.
    The_Joker wrote: »
    Strictly speaking a lot of photographs posted on threads could possibly have copyright or other infringement issues e.g Places, buildings, people, animals or items some people could take the high moral ground on and pursue ownership rights from a legal point of view.

For example a calf in a field or a dog on a beach that doesn't belong to the photographer and has not received permission by the owner to reproduce an image of well these could all fall into the Gollum category.

Nope. This is completely different. You couldn't be more wrong.

I hope you all remember your positions the next time someone posts a thread in here about someone "stealing" their work.

Anyway, the solution is clearly to watermark all frames of The Lord of the Rings containing Gollum with the words "© copy-right Peter Jackson" in curved translucent Comic Sans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

well, let me put it this way:

keps is not looking to benefit professionally or monetarily from the image. Therefore they would have difficulty in proving that he owed them anything.

In addition, sites like cracked use photoshopped images of pop culture icons with impunity... so I think our man keps is alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Great minds, trooney!! :)
    0D9D5529230844EFA1C5246D36B28EA5-800.jpg

Xiney wrote: »
    well, let me put it this way:

keps is not looking to benefit professionally or monetarily from the image. Therefore they would have difficulty in proving that he owed them anything.

In addition, sites like cracked use photoshopped images of pop culture icons with impunity... so I think our man keps is alright.

That doesn't matter. It is defined as theft.

Copyright is not about owing people money, it is about being able to control the use of works. How, for example, would someone owe a recording artist money for listening to their songs if they're not benefiting professionally or monetarily? Or how would someone who prints out another photographer's photograph and hangs it in their home? Or someone who copies another photographer's photograph and uses it on their own website, not for professional or monetary benefit?

Cracked.com is based in the Unites States and as such is subject to different intellectual property legislation and is probably definable as journalistic in nature (barely, although maybe not compared to the newspapers in the this country) and as such, have different restrictions on how they use material for illustrative purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Right folks i really am getting frustrated with all this stuff going about and kept quiet but seriously read the rules of the random photo thread in the first post please.....

"* No arguments. Self explanatory really.

* If you have a disagreement with a photo, use the report post feature - don't go abusing the poster."

And for my 2 cents keps done nothing wrong at all...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

breadbin wrote: »
    is this stitched?

Nope, one exposure.
    7EE98D98C0564C938965DDCAB2346320-500.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Just wanted to put this up. I took it last week, my first time using my Nikon D3000 properly. C&C very much welcome.

30132_1314729266674_1183973745_766435_3155361_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Right folks i really am getting frustrated with all this stuff going about and kept quiet but seriously read the rules of the random photo thread in the first post please.....

"* No arguments. Self explanatory really.

* If you have a disagreement with a photo, use the report post feature - don't go abusing the poster."

And for my 2 cents keps done nothing wrong at all...

So, instead of reporting the offending posts, you quoted the section of the rules about not arguing and reporting posts instead, then offered your opinion and position on the argument?

Also, your opinion on his actions is probably irrelevant, this is a discussion of a legal matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

48622A0524EB4A089C65D24F6FCE5D4F-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

pixbyjohn wrote: »

hey pixbyjohn is that between Greystones and Bray over looking kilruddery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

36D487C41E864A49B8AEE57D9D856EDD-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Corrosive Machine
    4784AB9B48084C59B43383215BAD2488-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

charybdis wrote: »
    So, instead of reporting the offending posts, you quoted the section of the rules about not arguing and reporting posts instead, then offered your opinion and position on the argument?

Also, your opinion on his actions is probably irrelevant, this is a discussion of a legal matter.

Ive been reading all the post about this "legal" matter and I have to say it seems over the top to be worrying about copyright infringement.

If someone of authority on the matter did accuse him of copyright theft then he would be requested to remove the offending image and unless he didnt comply they would hardly take action againt the millionth person to make an art piece for amusement.

it's not like he is using it for commercial gain.

Ive been reading all the post about this "legal" matter and I have to say it seems over the top to be worrying about copyright infringement.

If someone of authority on the matter did accuse him of copyright theft then he would be requested to remove the offending image and unless he didnt comply they would hardly take action againt the millionth person to make an art piece for amusement.

There was a question over potential copyright infringement and many people were spouting misinformation. I really don't care about pasting Gollum into a photograph for amusement, but I do care about people proliferating ignorance and contrived double standards as they see fit.
    it's not like he is using it for commercial gain.

As I said above, it doesn't matter; not in the eyes of the law anyway. Similarly, someone can appropriate one of your photographs and republish it themselves but it's still copyright infringement even if it's not for commercial gain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement