Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Digital Rights Management drove me to Piracy"

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

.Moosejam wrote: »
    Calling it stealing is the basist form of emotionalism going these days. Once you hear that word from someone on this topic you know whose pocket they are in.

And the inverse is true too: anyone who uses lines like "freedom of information", "liberating the medium", "its ok its a copy not an actual game", "Im protesting the DRM" come of as utter twats who try to justfy theft and have obviously never had a job/ been in a situation where they produced a product.

But if your part of this group of dumbarses then you will have no problem PM me your bank and credit card details, seeing as they arent a physical object and just a manifestation of our verbal and numerical languages. Neither would you feel bad me taking your money as I am using a copy and not your original info :rolleyes:

To the mods: Im not actually phishing for bank details, its just a silly analogy :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

To the point of this Topic DRM, Is good if
    1. It does it job.
    2.doesn't get cracked in a week (which it does)
    3.Doesn't affect people buying it

If it doesn't do all 3 it has the reverse effect (makes pirates)

I'm all for DRM aslong as it let you play your game with out interruption and were ever you like, they have no right to dicate to
    us that we need basic broadband to play a game or to set up are network they way they want us to.

2 good examples of bad DRM
    (pointing at ubisoft "assassin creed 2 , you have to always be online" and game for windows "bio shock 2 & fall out 3" *can't play bioshock online as game for windows can't ready my network, and it can't ready any of the to fall out 2 keys I have :/)

just my two cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    But if your part of this group of dumbarses then you will have no problem PM me your bank and credit card details, seeing as they arent a physical object and just a manifestation of our verbal and numerical languages. Neither would you feel bad me taking your money as I am using a copy and not your original info :rolleyes:

To the mods: Im not actually phishing for bank details, its just a silly analogy :P.
    Your analogy is ridiculous, thats a classic example of theft, as he would no longer have the money to spend after you spent it, its nothing like copyright infringement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    And the inverse is true too: anyone who uses lines like "freedom of information", "liberating the medium", "its ok its a copy not an actual game", "Im protesting the DRM" come of as utter twats who try to justfy theft and have obviously never had a job/ been in a situation where they produced a product.

poor example

try this:

youre an inventor, you create a machine which can make exact, fully functioning replicas of any inanimate object placed within it. do you destroy it immediately because its copyright theft? or do you use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Helix wrote: »
    poor example

try this:

youre an inventor, you create a machine which can make exact, fully functioning replicas of any inanimate object placed within it. do you destroy it immediately because its copyright theft? or do you use it?
    Ive always wondered this too. If someone comes up with a method to duplicate food for practically zero energy, usable by anyone, do we ban it outright because Nestle will lose money?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

DRM "digital rights management" obviously is bad for the buyer but i have noticed a big increase of people using cracks just so they can play the game offline without having to be monitored online by the gaming companies computer servers, and for ease of use. I can't believe ubisoft went for, and are sticking with this DRM security it makes no sense at all as it is pushing their own customers to piracy. it's just one of those lunatic things some companies do. imo they are going the wrong way about it. some people say pc gaming is dying, well thats far from the truth. the gaming companies will always blame piracy on this issue but they are making a killing in profit especially from the xbox and ps3 consoles. it's all a ploy. and more gaming companies are joining the DRM gang which will push more people away from buying these games. let no one forget that this it not just pc games it is xbox as well. how many more game companies will follow ?. this is unnecessary from ubisoft and the rest as they know and have been shown that the crackers will always break through their security so i can't figure this mentality out.

Upcoming digital distributor, Green Man Gaming, has signed a deal with Sony to use its SecuROM digital rights management software.
    David Berka, Product Manager for Software DRM Solutions at Sony, said: “The digital distribution channel is increasingly important to a broad range of companies that are attempting to establish their products. We see this partnership with Green Man Gaming and the integration of SecuROM into their revolutionary approach as an important evolution, as it allows publishers to increase new sales revenues through monetising the consumers games library.”
    Paul Sulyok, Green Man Gaming CEO said: “This partnership dramatically accelerates our initial offer to include the majority of AAA PC titles that are currently available. We are looking forward to working with SecuROM and bringing PC gaming to a wider audience through Green Man Gaming and our retail partners.”

they may as well dream on. they are not living in the real world.

Advertisement