Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Ping Touch

Options
  • 06-04-2010 1:46am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, My nokia 5310 is starting to die so I'm looking into getting a new phone and am interested in the Samsung Ping touch. Does anyone have any experience of this phone and is it any good? Or any other recommendations?

What features are important to you in a phone?
    well I text an awful lot so would need it to be easy to text on. Tried using a shop display phone earlier and found it alright, should be easy to get used to though.

Form factor
    Not hugely important to me but have always loved the idea of a sidekick and touchscreen seems cool.

Internet
    Not particularly important as i have my laptop so don't need my phone's internet that much

Operator - Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free
    Currently on Meteor PAYG but have no problem switching PAYG as long as I can keep free texts to all networks

Price range
    As cheap as possible. €130 is probably the highest I'll go. i'm only a poor student!

Carphone Warehouse
    Meteor
    I think I can get it for €99.99 in Xtravision as well if I trade my old phone in.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Anyone got any idea?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Also take a look at the Nokia 5230 which is only €110 online from Meteor at the moment. Its an excellent phone for the price, and i cant help but think it would be far superior to the ping touch

Afaik, same touch screen as the 5800 so texting on the qwerty keyboard should be pretty alrite, possible not quite as fast as the ping touch tho

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Also take a look at the Nokia 5230 which is only €110 online from Meteor at the moment. Its an excellent phone for the price, and i cant help but think it would be far superior to the ping touch

Is that not fully touch screen though?

I had thought about that phone but i have an issue with it being fully touchscreen considering that I text a lot!

There is also the issue of nearly every person I know who owns a touch screen phone has reported some problem with it or even just a complaint of how hard it is to use!

Ya, it would be fully touch alright, but i had a samsung tocco lite for the last year and never had any trouble texting, in the end found it quicker than any phone i had before. They're not for every one though!

You dont seem too pushed about having a touch screen so you could look at the LG KS360, which is only 60€ on meteor online at the moment, that would have a full qwerty keyboard like the ping touch but would save you 60€

Ya, it would be fully touch alright, but i had a samsung tocco lite for the last year and never had any trouble texting, in the end found it quicker than any phone i had before. They're not for every one though!

You dont seem too pushed about having a touch screen so you could look at the LG KS360, which is only 60€ on meteor online at the moment, that would have a full qwerty keyboard like the ping touch but would save you 60€

I've heard very bad things about the LG. It's meant to prone to problems such as turning itself off and the like. i really don't feel like another phone that doesn't like me! :)

I know at least two people with the phone and heard of several others that would definitely advise against buying it.

Sorry if i seem to be arguing with you btw as that's not what I'm trying to do. I have actually looked at both those phones but discounted them for the issues mentioned above.

• Advertisement

Haha, arguing on boards, never! :)

Ya fair enough, just used that LG a few times and thought it was nice for texting!

The ping touch sounds like it would suit you down to the ground then, looking at the specs, its not all that different from the tocco lite which should mean amazing battery life(up to about 5 days sometimes) and an easy to use os. 99€ in xtravision seems an alright deal too!

Haha, arguing on boards, never! :)

Ya fair enough, just used that LG a few times and thought it was nice for texting!

The ping touch sounds like it would suit you down to the ground then, looking at the specs, its not all that different from the tocco lite which should mean amazing battery life(up to about 5 days sometimes) and an easy to use os. 99€ in xtravision seems an alright deal too!

Ha ha true! I just don't want to seem like the unreasonable type who is trying to cause trouble over nothing if you know what I mean! :)

Thanks for the help and suggestions anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭captainwang

sorry to step in guys but i have just been to tesco in wilton, cork and they have a weekend offer on the iphone 3g, im not sure if its an older model i havnt looked at it much but im going back later. the offer is for a sim free iphone for €129, the only condition is that you must donate your old phone to a charity they have collection points in store, looks like a good offer to me however im not sure what the stock levels are like

sorry to step in guys but i have just been to tesco in wilton, cork and they have a weekend offer on the iphone 3g, im not sure if its an older model i havnt looked at it much but im going back later. the offer is for a sim free iphone for €129, the only condition is that you must donate your old phone to a charity they have collection points in store, looks like a good offer to me however im not sure what the stock levels are like
    I dont believe you!

An 8gb Iphone 3g for 129€? Who's taking the hit here? Pictures or it is'nt real!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

That sounds like their selling fakes or a clone. No one can sell a sim free iPhone 2G for that cheap let alone a 3G.

• Advertisement

Hi, My nokia 5310 is starting to die so I'm looking into getting a new phone and am interested in the Samsung Ping touch. Does anyone have any experience of this phone and is it any good? Or any other recommendations?

What features are important to you in a phone?
    well I text an awful lot so would need it to be easy to text on. Tried using a shop display phone earlier and found it alright, should be easy to get used to though.

Form factor
    Not hugely important to me but have always loved the idea of a sidekick and touchscreen seems cool.

Internet
    Not particularly important as i have my laptop so don't need my phone's internet that much

Operator - Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free
    Currently on Meteor PAYG but have no problem switching PAYG as long as I can keep free texts to all networks

Price range
    As cheap as possible. €130 is probably the highest I'll go. i'm only a poor student!

Carphone Warehouse
    Meteor
    I think I can get it for €99.99 in Xtravision as well if I trade my old phone in.
    Get a Nokia 5230. Brilliant for the price you pay and it's just as powerful CPU wise as the Nokia N97 but with more modest specs. That and the fact apps on Symbian OS are probably a million times more numerous and more useful than anything that Samsung have on their phones.

tesco wouldnt sell fake's though surely, if only our messenger would post again with a bit more info..

like i said i only had a brief look but im sure it was the real thing, im heading down later again and will hopefully purchase one for myself so ill let everyone know the story, must check tesco.ie and have a look also

tesco wouldnt sell fake's though surely, if only our messenger would post again with a bit more info..
    They were selling fake "Ziis" a while back (Maybe it was Dunnes, can't remember) so I wouldn't put it past a company that big to sell a look alike.

right im just back, had to actually go to mahon point as wilton was sold out. the phone seems ok just have it on charge now, seems to be working fine apart from 2 issues: the language setting is in Chinese??? as is all the manuals and literature with the phone, and secondly the camera is in black and white only it appears, maybe i can change it when i get the phone into english. i may have to bring it to my local chinese restaurant to see if the guys there can change the setting for me. apart from those problems i cant fault the phone. i wasnt even required to donate my old phone but i did anyway as i dont need it. hope this helps guys

right im just back, had to actually go to mahon point as wilton was sold out. the phone seems ok just have it on charge now, seems to be working fine apart from 2 issues: the language setting is in Chinese??? as is all the manuals and literature with the phone, and secondly the camera is in black and white only it appears, maybe i can change it when i get the phone into english. i may have to bring it to my local chinese restaurant to see if the guys there can change the setting for me. apart from those problems i cant fault the phone. i wasnt even required to donate my old phone but i did anyway as i dont need it. hope this helps guys
    You got ripped off. Real iPhones don't support Chinese out of the box and they also cannot take black and white photos without an app from the App store.

Do you have any pictures of the phone/box? I'm 99.9% sure it's a fake but I have to be sure.

are you sure? im not the best with things like this, must bring it to the carphone warehouse tomorrow to see what they make of all this. im sure they can tell me if its the real thing. i will take photos for you in the morning when my wife gets home with our camera. i will also be heading to the chinese takeaway within the next hour. keep you guys updated hope somebody else doesnt get ripped off in the meantime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Of course its a fake. Your probably, well not probably - definately, confusing it with another phone on the market. I was thinking it could be one of those CECT iPhone clones but networks don't do those. So I don't know what/how you got that... whatever it is.

are you sure? im not the best with things like this, must bring it to the carphone warehouse tomorrow to see what they make of all this. im sure they can tell me if its the real thing. i will take photos for you in the morning when my wife gets home with our camera. i will also be heading to the chinese takeaway within the next hour. keep you guys updated hope somebody else doesnt get ripped off in the meantime
    One sure fire way to tell if it's a fake is the browser. Does it have pinch to zoom?

Another way is to see if there's an icon for the App store. If not, it's a definite fake.

Get a Nokia 5230. Brilliant for the price you pay and it's just as powerful CPU wise as the Nokia N97 but with more modest specs. That and the fact apps on Symbian OS are probably a million times more numerous and more useful than anything that Samsung have on their phones.

Thanks for the advice but as I said earlier i'm not very sure about touchscreen because i text alot - thius why i think a qwerty keypad would be better.

Do you know how easy the touchscreen is to text on?

• Advertisement

Just spotted the LG Etna 3g on the meteor website for €130. Anyone have any experience of that and would it be better than the ping touch or 5230?!

The only real advantage they have over the 5230 is the camera and the qwerty keyboard. The 5230 has a higher resolution screen and is a smartphone that can run apps from the Ovi store. The Ping touch and Etna 3G are both "dumb" phones.

Your choice really, which is more important. Having a smartphone or having qwerty keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Wouldn't recommend the 5230, its a cheap, irresponsive piece of sh!t tbh. The Tocco Lite would be better. The 5230 is horrible for texting.

I reckon you stick with the Ping Touch, it's a decent phone for messaging. Also recommend the E63 (second hand around 110 euros).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The only real advantage they have over the 5230 is the camera and the qwerty keyboard. The 5230 has a higher resolution screen and is a smartphone that can run apps from the Ovi store. The Ping touch and Etna 3G are both "dumb" phones.

Your choice really, which is more important. Having a smartphone or having qwerty keyboard?
    On phones like the LG Etna or the Ping Touch, can you text normally using the touch screen AND using the QWERTY keyboard, like you can switch between the two? :confused:
    I'm like the OP, No idea what to get but I like the idea that I could use the QWERTY for facebook/mobile boards and the touchscreen for texting..

Posy wrote: »
    On phones like the LG Etna or the Ping Touch, can you text normally using the touch screen AND using the QWERTY keyboard, like you can switch between the two? :confused:
    I'm like the OP, No idea what to get but I like the idea that I could use the QWERTY for facebook/mobile boards and the touchscreen for texting..

I got the phone in the end and yes you can!
    I find QWERTY way easier, to text on as well as on the internet!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Thanks, that's great! I don't want to tie myself down to a QWERTY or a touchscreen in case I just don't like it so love the idea that I can get both, hehe. :)

Advertisement