Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting En-Suite Ceiling

• 06-04-2010 7:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭

Paint in En-Suite ceiling has begun to bubble and crack above the shower. From what I've been reading a number of reasons are possible for this -
    1. Wrong paint used first day (house is 4 years old)
    2. The en-suite is really cold so when the steam from the shower hits the cold ceiling the moisture affects the paint work.
    3. Not enough attic insulation above the en-suite.

I think it's a mixture of 1 and 2 myself. So the plan for the weekend is to remove all the paint from the ceiling and re-do it with the proper paint. The question is, what is the proper paint to get for this job?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Paint in En-Suite ceiling has begun to bubble and crack above the shower. From what I've been reading a number of reasons are possible for this -
    2. The en-suite is really cold so when the steam from the shower hits the cold ceiling the moisture affects the paint work.

I think it's a mixture of 1 and 2 myself. So the plan for the weekend is to remove all the paint from the ceiling and re-do it with the proper paint. The question is, what is the proper paint to get for this job?

I am not a painting expert myself but have seen this problem many times before and find its not the reason above but simply that the bathroom fan is not used or not used enough. Another reason is that the bathroom fan is not vented correctly and the moisture is lodged in the fibreglass just above the fan.

The simpleist way is to make sure

1. The fan is connected to a hose that expels the air outside.
    2. The fan is used all the time the shower is used.
    3. The ceiling is sanded to remove the peaking paint.
    4. A good bathroom ceiling paint with a antifungacide is applied.

Always works for me.... If fact the paint with the antifungacide works great in a bathroom where there is no fan..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

+ 1 Joey the lips

Use Dulux Weathershield paint on the ceiling - yes the outdoor one. I have used this in many a house and it works a treat because it is designed to withstand damp conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

+ 1 Joey the lips

Use Dulux Weathershield paint on the ceiling - yes the outdoor one. I have used this in many a house and it works a treat because it is designed to withstand damp conditions

Thanks for this info Folks.

I gotta a job on my en suite this weekend.

However what paint would you recommend for painting the walls with.

Thanks,

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

oldscoil wrote: »
    Thanks for this info Folks.

I gotta a job on my en suite this weekend.

However what paint would you recommend for painting the walls with.

Thanks,

B

Dulux bathroom paint. Get it anywhere. Anti fungal etc. I used it in an ice box bathroom and no more ceiling mould since.

Heat and ventilation also help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

dogbert27 wrote: »

Bubble and cracking is caused by the steam from the shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

CBYR1983 wrote: »
    Dulux bathroom paint. Get it anywhere. Anti fungal etc. I used it in an ice box bathroom and no more ceiling mould since.

Heat and ventilation also help!

Thanks for that CBYR.

One other quick question.

The outside wall in the bedroom with the en suite is quite susceptible to damp on the. i.e. the wall that has the window and backs on to the outside :o

Would it be a good idea to paint that with Dulux anti fungal paint, or treat it with an anti fungal protector before I paint it with normal paint?

Thanks again…

B

Advertisement