Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new house loud noise?

• 06-04-2010 8:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

hey, we've just finished building and have been living in the house for 8 weeks or so. The house is making really loud popping/cracking noises. not often but they are very loud when it happens. is this just the house settling or does anyone have any ideas. its mainly in the roof between the sitting room and one of the bedrooms but they are very loud at times.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

no way of knowing without being there i am guessing but I live in a timber frame house 4 years and it still does this every now and again. It done it constantly at the start to the point that I thought someone would be coming in the door.

I am guessing its your heating drying out the house...But again would need to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Your fascia, is it uPVC ?, and if so what colour? and the same question for your guttering.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sounds like drying out to me. Are there plaster mouldings/cornices to the ceilings in the Living Room?

When I lived in a new house, the plaster cornices were stuck to the ceiling of the Living Room and we had the same noises/loud pops for about a year as the ceilings dried out, and obviously shrink a little, causing tension to build up between the ceiling and the adhesive to the plaster cornices, which every so often would just pop (not fall down).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭giardiniera

thanks for that i think it is just settling. its a block house but its wooden beams holding the upstairs floors so i think its just those beams settling in.
    it is upvc fascia and its all white. No moldings or cornices though.

hopefully it'll settle down in the next while i just wanted to make sure it wasnt anything more serious.

Advertisement