Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checks when hiring a contractor

Options
  • 06-04-2010 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

folks, we're building a kitchen extension, and have narrowed our search to 2 builders. The differance between them in quotes is €15K .. we've had a look at their work as well and all seems ok, both come highly recommended. Short of asking the builder how he can charge €15K less than most, are there any further checks I can do to ensure that we are hiring the right contractor and not just going for the lowest quote?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Hi,
    I asked the same question off an electrician recently and he upped his price by 2k. I woulddn't ask him but double check your quotes are like for like.

See if he has other jobs on. I know it sounds a little odd in todays climate but i lost my block layer for 4 weeks. Wish I put a time frame in concrete writing before starting rather than asking will you be finished in 8 weeks. Verbals mean little when you are getting excuses after excuses. I am now 8 weeks with only 2000 blocks layed and 1 1/2 weeks work put in over that time frame.

Advertisement