Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hidden gems of Dublin

• 06-04-2010 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Ok so me and my girlfriend take a saturday and usually go for a drive somewhere but Im running out of ideas. So far we've done a few different things such as Powerscourt waterfall, the zoo and poolbeg lighthouse. I was wondering if anyone knew of some more things that are good to do. Somethin different to do on a saturday or sunday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ok so me and my girlfriend take a saturday and usually go for a drive somewhere but Im running out of ideas. So far we've done a few different things such as Powerscourt waterfall, the zoo and poolbeg lighthouse. I was wondering if anyone knew of some more things that are good to do. Somethin different to do on a saturday or sunday

Farmleigh on the weekends in Phoenix Park, foodie market etc.. and the house is interesting too. We paid for it with our taxes after all.

Hellfire Club in Dublin mountains. Lovely walks.

Glencree German War cemetery (might be on the borders of Wicklow though!) Lovely spot, go to the former British barracks across the way for coffee. What a view.

Blessington Lakes.

St. Michan's Church. See the mummies... seriously weird.

Dalkey on a Saturday, magic. Lovely pubs, lovely grub, and it has a mediterranean feel to it around the Vico Road.

Killiney Hill. Great walks, and plenty of houses of the rich and famous to seek out, if you're into that kind of voyuerism.

Liffeyside by the Strawberry Beds (Lucan/Castleknock). Lovely pubs by the waterside.

The walk from Bray Head to Greystones (Wicklow encroaching again), but nearly Dublin!

That's me lot for now. Be interested in other's views on OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

There was a book called Slow Dublin that was reviewed in the papers last week - it was full of these things!

Also, there's a facebook page called Secret Dublin which you might want to have a look for, it has a lot of things like the above on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

I like taking a stroll down towards the Samuel Beckett Bridge. It's actually quite pleasant. If you want to then you could get the Luas back from the Point.

If you're a fan of hidden gems in cities maybe you should go on a short weekend trip to London sometime. There are thousands of those kind of places there, and I know a lot of good, very cheap hotels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Since you 've a car how about the Japanese Gardens and Irish Stud in Kildare. If you are clever go into the tourist office in Suffolk St and pick up a booklet of vouchers which allow 2 of ye in for the price of 1 ;)
    Trim castle and it's grounds are a great place to visit on a sunny day. Pack a picnic. It's only an hour from duiblin and I'd suggest going by the N4 instead of the N3.
    St Annes Park & Rose Gardens are lovely during the Summer and there is a farmers market on Saturdays.
    You can have agreat day out in Dun Laoghaire, walking the pier, watching the boats, eating ice cream :D and perhaps taking a walk to Sandy Cove to see the James Joyce Tower!
    Have you visited Kilmainham Gaol?
    The Botanic Gardens
    The Irish Jewish Museum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nickhaydens

Thanks for the replies. I've done a lot of them and am now thinkin about branching outside dublin. I have a car so im open to anywhere within an hours drive.
    Any more suggestions?

• Advertisement
Advertisement