Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 of a pair of Chinchillas that died

Options
  • 06-04-2010 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hello

A friend of mine had 2 Chinchillas that got on well, but last night the female died, she hadn't been well for a few days and in the end the vet appeared to draw a blank.
    The chinchilla had been continually drooling and rubbing her mouth and the vet had though it was the teeth needed filed which she did, but she never came round again properly.
    Yesterday, the vet had provided Critical care food and water additive, but the chilchilla was having none of it.

Anyway, now the concern is that the male isnt eating anything and he will end up dying of dehydration or the lack of food.

Anybody have a similar experience or know what to expect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Do you know if the male seems sick like the other one did, or is he just not eating? Has he seen the vet? Some animals don't eat for a few days after their companion dies. I've known cats to do it. And I'd say the chinchillas were probably really close friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

It seems to be more "not eating" rather than being sick like his friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

It might just be pining then, and if so should start eating again. I'd offer it its favourite treat, like a piece of fruit or something?

But if it gets worse or continues to not eat (or isn't drinking) then I'd consult another vet.

But I don't know much about chinchillas so hopefully someone who does reads this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Would start on the critical care anyway if the chin isn't eating.
    Hopefully someone else can shed some light on it, how experienced is the vet with exotics? Has there been any blood tests done or anything to rule out any infection. Could it be something in the animals surroudings in the air in the room they are in or anything.

If he isn't eating anything at all then he prob. needs to be syringe fed best to talk to the vet about it.

Advertisement