Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car insurance gone up by 33% on last year

• 06-04-2010 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

My car insurance was €303 (fully comp) at renewal with the AA 12 months ago (on a 2005 1.4 litre megane). I received the bill for 2010 yesterday and it was €426. I've a full no claims discount, no penalty points etc etc, so wtf has it shot up like this? Are the insurance companies trying to make up for their losses in the house insurance market/stock market crash?

Anyone else's insurance gone up by this amount?

I'll shop around for a better quote but I've a nasty feeling they'll all be charging similar prices.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

were you really not paying attention to news reports several months ago stating that most of not ALL insurance premiums are going up due to the increased number of claims.

people are claiming for everything and insurance companies are looking for every loophole in individual claims (ie. tinted windows in a car counts as a modification and makes policy exempt so claimant cant claim any damage)

(note: this is just an example - I dont know of any specific cases of insurance companies disputing claims so couldnt give an actual example)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Well why don't they just hammer those who make claims and leave the rest of us alone. I know, in an ideal world etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

funny, i just checked my renewal quote online and its dropped from 1450 to between 800e-1000e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Have you shopped around?

I heard the increases are actually a tax on being lazy - I know someone whose policies with Axa have increased 7 years in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

mine went up from 500 to 750 (i had class 3 business which i dont need ), the brokers i was with then quoted me 509 for standard policy
    allianz quoted me 377 with everything on (breakdown step back nc, windscreen etc)

cheapest policy i've had in years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

mine went up by 50%, I shopped til I dropped and got that increase down to 18% with JLT brokers. as they say its a sign of the times...

W.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

My wifes went up from 505 to 628.They do this every single year and have done for the last 16 years ie every year her renewal is higher than last years premium.

Shopped around this morning,got a quote of 518 from a different company,rang back her own company and got it for 508.

Theyre taking the piss doing this every year.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

JHMEG wrote: »
    I heard the increases are actually a tax on being lazy - I know someone whose policies with Axa have increased 7 years in a row.

Her previous policy was with AXA aswell.Dont get me started with this lot.She tipped the gatepost 3 years ago and the assessor/customer service bloke told her it wouldnt affect her NCB.Next years premium went up from 600 to 2500.
    The usual back and forward with them trying to get it sorted and in the end they wouldnt budge so I rang Allianz who reinstated her full NCB and her premium has been around the 500 mark since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Hellrazer wrote: »
    My wifes went up from 505 to 628.They do this every single year and have done for the last 16 years ie every year her renewal is higher than last years premium.

Shopped around this morning,got a quote of 518 from a different company,rang back her own company and got it for 508.

Theyre taking the piss doing this every year.
    and let me guess, the initial 628 included a "discount" (read, increase) for being a loyal customer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I don't think I've ever been with the same insurance company for more than two consecutive years in the last 9 years of driving. None of them seem to care about retaining customers.

• Advertisement

Max Power1 wrote: »
    and let me guess, the initial 628 included a "discount" (read, increase) for being a loyal customer!

100%--Loyalty discount that makes the premium more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

this 'more claims' arguement is bull****. there are fewer vehicles on the road now than at any stage in the last 10 years, hell even our greenhouse gas emissions have fallen because of the recession. the insurance companies got burned badly on the stock market, this is common knowledge, hence the big increase in the cost of cover.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0207/1233867925621.html

the flooding last november won't have helped so the cost of cover will go up even more this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I've never concerned myself overmuch with the whys & wherefores of how premiums are calculated -I just shop around annually for the best price for the cover I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Shopped round and got it for 380, that's still 77 more than last year. One company wanted 1200 from me. How in jaysus' name can they charge so much on a car insurance quote for a male in his 40's, 20 years plus ncb, no accidents, claims, convictions, penalty points etcetera

With all that's going on in the economy at the moment, it's little straws like hikes in insurance premia that might break the proverbial camels back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

My last policy was increased from 290e fully comp to 450e last year. Rang them and said i was changing to another firm, they agreed and rang me back with a quote for 370! Why dont they give you that price in the 1st place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

mine renewel coming up this year, i am paying 1300 at the moment, allready got 123.ie qoute of 800eu, so ill see what will quinn-direct say about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Shopped round and got it for 380, that's still 77 more than last year. One company wanted 1200 from me. How in jaysus' name can they charge so much on a car insurance quote for a male in his 40's, 20 years plus ncb, no accidents, claims, convictions, penalty points etcetera

With all that's going on in the economy at the moment, it's little straws like hikes in insurance premia that might break the proverbial camels back.

You seem to be getting crap quotes all round.

My commercial policy is only costing me €343 this year.

I just picked Aviva and got an online quote on my 2000, 1.8 Xantia using my 5 years named driver experience on the missus car and I'm getting €437 TPF&T and just over €500 full comp.

I'm 29 and have had my licence 11 years living in Tallaght. I would have thought with your details you'd fare much better than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Anan1 wrote: »
    I've never concerned myself overmuch with the whys & wherefores of how premiums are calculated -I just shop around annually for the best price for the cover I want.

This annual "Harry the Haggler" ritual pisses me off no end.
    Renewal quote comes in with ridiculous increase ...you spend a day on the phone/internet getting a competetive quote from somehwere else ...ring your current insurance and hey presto, they match it.

Why can't they just send out a sensible quote in the first place?

Also ...think of the cost to the economy with every motorist in Ireland spending most of one day on the phone looking for quotes when he/she could be doing something productive instead

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Big J

I must be lucky or something. Last year my premium for full comp was €370 with Tesco. This year they changed their insurer from Hibernian to Royal Sun Alliance and my renewal came in at €300.

OK, so I drive a bog standard '00 1.6 Vectra, my NCB went from 4 years to 5 and turning 40 is a distant memory - but actually going down seems to good to be true judging by this thread.

Even more so as I had a discount for no points on my licence last year but managed to pick up 2 for a speeding fixed penalty and that didn't affect the renewal as the new insurer wasn't offering the clean licence discount anyway. When I told the guy on the phone I had picked up 2 points he just said it didn't matter and took the payment.

The only issue I have with them is that they were slow to send out the paperwork when my wife renewed her car insurance (her renewal went down €30 as well) and I'm hoping I don't have to ring them twice, as she did, before they finally figure out how to use the postal system.

well, i got mine renewel today in morning, it was 1100eu ( with direct debit), and i was paying 1300eu.

then i just went to 123.ie and got a qoute for 819eu, so i called quin-direct and they dropped it down to 839eu, i am happy as pig in th S**t!!!

thats a noticable drop to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

w

then i just went to 123.ie and got a qoute for 819eu, so i called quinn-direct and they dropped it down to 839eu, i am happy as pig in th S**t!!!

thats a noticable drop to be honest!
    Have recent events in the news bypassed you?
    I wouldn't be taking out any new business with Quinn.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Have recent events in the news bypassed you?
    I wouldn't be taking out any new business with Quinn.

you know, thats what allways happens in this country, it wouldnt be such a deep ressetion, if people wouldnt be scared sh*tlessly! Media is not helping, it only kills more business, specially when people are like sheep in this country.

i wount start all the crap about quinn, but i really doubt it will just close down, it will just change ownership at worst...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

you know, thats what allways happens in this country, it wouldnt be such a deep ressetion, if people wouldnt be scared sh*tlessly! Media is not helping, it only kills more business, specially when people are like sheep in this country.

i wount start all the crap about quinn, but i really doubt it will just close down, it will just change ownership at worst...
    Hey it's a free world and you are welcome to go with them.
    I wouldn't use them even when they weren't in examinership, but hey it's your money....:D

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Hey it's a free world and you are welcome to go with them.
    I wouldn't use them even when they weren't in examinership, but hey it's your money....:D

well i am paying monthly so if they will go down ( which i really doubt), it will just cut down payments, so not much loss...

I got thirt part insurance, so i wount deal with them much in case of accident. All the details i provided are 100% correct.

The ather thing is, its not that easy to get a good qoute for mazda mx5, when you are 24 with 3 ncb... need that magic number 25 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

One company wanted 1200 from me. How in jaysus' name can they charge so much on a car insurance quote for a male in his 40's, 20 years plus ncb, no accidents, claims, convictions, penalty points etcetera

Wasn't Quinn was it? I got quotes online from every insurer I could think of online the other night and they all came in around the same price €300-€400 except Quinn, who first of all said online that they couldn't quote me and to ring them - perhaps cos I live in D24 and then emailed a quote anyway - for €1,078.68!!! Maybe they are trying to put people off.

I got my renewal from Tesco yesterday and as mentioned, they are using RSA now - phoned AVIVA this morning to see did they want to match the quote and steal me back off Tesco and your one on the phone was very meh "The online quote will be 10% less than I can give you here" I am surprised they are not jumping at the chance of keeping some of their Tesco customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

My last renewal AXA wanted 1400 (fully comp),I shopped around a few places.Eventually went with a broker for 660 euro (also fully comp).AXA wouldnt drop their price one bit,was the best they could do apparently :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chill.ie (Conor)

It is definately worth shopping around. We carried out a recent survey where we found consumers can still save an average of €165 by shopping around despite the rising cost of insurance premiums. We also have a great young driver product which is worth checking out through our site or our Facebook page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Existing Policy went up 100 euro....Shopped around and got it down 300 :D. Through a broker in the end...best deal I could find....

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

Advertisement