Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 year old Cairn had a Fit last night

Options
  • 06-04-2010 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi guys, our 16 year old Cairn Terrier had a fit last night around midnight, so we made sure she didn't bang her head during it, and then kept an eye on her for the next half hour called the vets and went in to see him about 1.30am he gave her a steroid injection and basically said due to age that wasn't much to do at this point other than keep an eye on her to see if it becomes a regular thing or if it's a one off

I was just wondering if anyone else out there with an elderly dog had been through the same and if the fit was a one of or the start of more?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

I also had a dog, a toy poodle aged 15, who started having fits. My vet also told me it was due to the age of the dog. As time progressed the fits got more frequent, all I could do was make him as safe and comfortable during each fit. He eventually had a severe fit and died but in the meantime I made him as comfortable as possible as he had given me so much joy during his lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hey Paul,

thats awful sorry to hear that. We have a 17 year old dog at home in my mams and its terrible knowing he probably wont be around much longer. He is a legand though still going strong, a bit of arthritis thats hes on daily medication for but besides that he is happy out. Cody the legand dog!

Hope your dog will be ok :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

thanks Mo60 - i figured something similar, i don't know what's worse knowing it's coming or when it happens unexpected

I remember when i was 24/25 my lab/collie Bonnie was diagnosed with an agressive form of cancer i was living in essex at the time my mum called, drove up on the sunday to say goodbye, spent half hour huggin her and to say goodbye, back in the car for the 4 hour drive home crying half the way, she was pts on the monday - still got her photo in my wallet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭thebiglad

My dog started having fits, again just keep them safe and comfort them as much as possible - came home 1 night and dog couldn't stand up, must have had a severe fit whilst was out, nothing could be done and we had him put down.

This was many years ago but still brings tears to my eyes to write this.

Unfortunately not much can be done, all posters here know how you will feel to read this and whilst it doesn't help just make the best of time left.

Advertisement