Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

update

• 06-04-2010 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭

what is the new update for?I was playing mw2 and it disconnected me to make me take the update

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

allows for saves / dlc / profile to be stored on usb keys up to 16gb with a max of 2 keys supported at once.

Edit : Tested with an 8gb usb stick and a 2gb sd card recognises both but tells me they are too slow, does not prevent me from using them though. Will install a game on one of them and see how it runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I've Dl'd this update and tested it, Copied over a 930mb demo and have to say it was pretty quick.. Sadly the demo I wanted to try has expired(?) and couldn't run off the memory stick, But it did seem to start up quick..

My 8gb memory stick is corrupt so couldn't copy over a game burnt to the HD..

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I've Dl'd this update and tested it, Copied over a 930mb demo and have to say it was pretty quick.. Sadly the demo I wanted to try has expired(?) and couldn't run off the memory stick, But it did seem to start up quick..

My 8gb memory stick is corrupt so couldn't copy over a game burnt to the HD..

It wont let you copy games , you need to delete it and reinstall on the drive.
    Tested on Just Cause 2 there, cant say it made any difference mind you it did tell me the memory stick was slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/03/26/USB-Memory-Support-for-the-Xbox-360-coming-April-6th.aspx[

Some linkage for you guys to read up on. Is it confirmed that you can't copy full games onto the USB's?

Slugs wrote: »

Copy no but I was able to install Just Cause 2 to a flash drive after removing it from the hard drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

My 8GB Sandisk Cruzer is apparently fast enough, so I've ordered a 16GB one. Can't think of a game with especially bad loading times to try it out on though... Maybe Rock Band

Love the way that this came out a few days after Sony's recent "update":p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Here's a Quick guide to getting started, and listing what can be saved to the USB Key
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981974

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I'm using it to transfer all my stuff to my 250GB HDD for the xbox

Very happy about it as I busted my bàlls for 6 months lookin for a Transfer kit capable of transferring from 120gb to 250gb HDDs.

Couldn't get one in the end so this update has saved me lol Despite the fact i can only transfer 16gb at a time but it's not a big problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

does that mean i can bring my modern warfare 2 profile, with all the xbox live unlocked stuff to my mates house for loacal multiplayer?

does that mean i can bring my modern warfare 2 profile, with all the xbox live unlocked stuff to my mates house for loacal multiplayer?
    Yes It does, though you're friend won't be able to use any DLC content unless you're on the same console with the same profile

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    Copy no but I was able to install Just Cause 2 to a flash drive after removing it from the hard drive.
    After reading up on it, it seems it has to be installed directly to the storage unit, rather than copied. Everything else seems fine though. Very satisfied with it ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

how do we know whats fast and whats not in terms of usb sticks?

edit:would this be alright-http://www.focalprice.com/MF125L/16GB_High_Speed_USB_20_Drive_Blue.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

I wanted to copy my profile onto my external hard drive but could not.

Good new for banned peeps is that this update uncripples your console, Meaning you can install games to the HD on banned machines and adds the new USB support.

Seems MS realised it was stupid to take functionality away from banned consoles.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5r3ux6

Extract it to the root of a usb stick, plug it into your xbox and accept the update :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

So, would I have to redeem my profile on a friend's machine and then use the game save file from my USB stick in order to be able to play with my unlocks on split screen stuff? Or can I bring the profile itself and sign in from the details on the USB stick.

I'd say you'd need to have your profile and the game saves on the USB Key itself, and your friend's 360 would need to be connected to Live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

cisk wrote: »
    Good new for banned peeps is that this update uncripples your console, Meaning you can install games to the HD on banned machines and adds the new USB support.

Seems MS realised it was stupid to take functionality away from banned consoles.

I'm guessing they kept the profile 'corruption' feature though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

So has this made the old memory cards opsolete? I have a 256meg one that i was using to transfer files about but now instead I can just use my 4 gig stick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

This would have been amazing for the Dublin Street Fighter tournaments, as it was a massive pita to bring in our Hard Drives / Memory Units for the character unlocks at the venue. Super is coming out soon though and there's no unlocks needed for that, and we had our last tournament before its release on Saturday.

So close MS, so close.

So has this made the old memory cards opsolete? I have a 256meg one that i was using to transfer files about but now instead I can just use my 4 gig stick?
    While they're not necessarily obsolete (you can still use them), yes, it does mean that you can just use your 4GB USB Key instead.

• Advertisement

Digital Foundry have finally gotten around to testing it out;
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-storage-update-the-flash-factor-article

tman wrote: »
    Digital Foundry have finally gotten around to testing it out;
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-storage-update-the-flash-factor-article

Interesting read indeed, I did install to a low speed drive as I mentioned further up the thread and after having played for a while no big drop or gain in performance, however I did suffer some occasional audio glitching when playing Just Cause 2. Main + for this is that fact I don't have an official memory card so being able to go a pals house with profile and rock band dlc intact.

I tested it on my 8GB Sandisk Cruzer, and as they mention towards the end of that article, waiting for the installation to complete can be frustrating.

Kind of negates the little extra space you gain, so I think I'll just shop around for something with a decent write speed instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Never seen an update take so long to download.

quad_red wrote: »
    Never seen an update take so long to download.

Went through in a couple of minutes for me...

The recent PS3 update on the other hand took 15 minutes+, and that was an "update" with the sole purpose of removing functionality:confused:

currently trying this 16gb memory stick out, xbox has already said its slower than recommended but i shall be the judge of that, installing Fifa10 right now and ill see how it performs.

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/USB-Flash-Drives/Kingston/Kingston-16GB-DataTraveler-102-USB-Flash-Drive---White

just played an online ranked game of Fifa and it worked beautifully off the USB stick. very happy, badly needed the extra space and didnt fancy paying so much for a Hard Drive.

Advertisement