Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop repair

• 06-04-2010 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi all

I have a Sony Vaio its about 6 years old and going really well until it just turned off and wouldn't turn back on.

Anywhere in Waterford that does PC repair for a reasonable price?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I know a guy that does it but he's nit based in the city. If noone can come through for you I'll see can I dig out a number for him.

Stay away from PC world though.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

Go to Gary Power at IT Services
    lovely guy

http://www.itservices.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

For a machine of that age, I'd recommend getting a new one. I've seen Toshibas, Dells, Sonys and HPs that were a lot younger than that, all with motherboard failures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 haydo333

wellbutty wrote: »
    For a machine of that age, I'd recommend getting a new one. I've seen Toshibas, Dells, Sonys and HPs that were a lot younger than that, all with motherboard failures

I know the prices of laptops have come down but its all a question of cash and i dont have 400 euro to spend on another laptop. Motherboards arent that hard to fix and i think thats the problem. Cheers for your very helpful post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

haydo333 wrote: »
    I know the prices of laptops have come down but its all a question of cash and i dont have 400 euro to spend on another laptop. Motherboards arent that hard to fix and i think thats the problem. Cheers for your very helpful post!
    You are correct Motherboards are not that hard to replace, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, but you need to consider to overall cost it will take out of your pocket. First you need someone to spend time to look at it, then if computer need spare parts you need to pay for them, then you need to pay that company/person the time to install and verify it works. Before you know it you could be near the 200+ euros mark. Unless you know someone who has computer repairs experience expect to pay a bit of money.

If you give the laptop to someone who doesnt know what they are doing but are cheap then keep your fingers crossed and I hope you have everything backed up. They might be cheap but there is a reason they are cheap. Even if you get it fixed are the parts brand new , second hand or cheap asian substitutes?
    I would be surprised if sony still sold parts for laptops that are 6 years old to be honest.

My advice, if it is 5+ years old and especially if it is giving you hassle abandon ship and invest in a new one. If you dont have the money now, start saving or borrow for a family member. The investment will be worth it in the long run.

Just my 2 cents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

No need for sarcasm. It was good advice and backed up by Baronflyguy. Sometimes Harvey Norman have interest-free schemes over 36 months. If you picked up a laptop during that, it would cost you 15-20 a month for a good machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

I used to sell and repair computers while working for myself. If a computer was older than 4 or 5 years, I always strongly advised people to buy a new one, even if it was not from me. Spending money on a 6 year old computer is like doing likewise on a 20 year old car. The parts break or wear out and will continue to do so. The 3 main parts that will eventually go are the motherboard, hard drive and power supply. Without labour, you're looking at around €250 for these. These could break tomorrow or in 5 years time.

Buying a new machine gets you a 12 month warranty and the 4-5 year countdown begins all over again. My professional opinion is buy a new one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I'd only bring it to an expert if I had important information that I need.

A fancy mobile probably has as much computing power as a 6 year old laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Hi all

I have a Sony Vaio its about 6 years old and going really well until it just turned off and wouldn't turn back on.

Anywhere in Waterford that does PC repair for a reasonable price?

Cheers!

howya,me lack had the same problem,her one was about 4 years old,same problems,wouldnt turn back on.basically it was a problem with the motherboard.

brought it around to a few places,same opinions everytime,would cost about 3-500 to repair it,parts etc.every1 basically gave the same advice,better off to get a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

you did well to get 6 years out of a laptop :D. they dont build them like they used to

• Advertisement
Advertisement