Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs. FC Bayern München - Champions League Q/Final 2nd Leg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

5ForKeeps wrote:
    Channel 5 on Thursday nites!!! To all the United Fans who Laughed at Liverpool. Guess what we're still in Europe !!!!!

Yes but you were knocked out of the Champions League long ago. We won't lose sleep about not being involved in the Europa League as we never want to be in it.

All I want to say is United already have a trophy in the bag, have won the title 3 times on the trot and are fighting for a fourth, and have been the last English team in the Champions League this season.

So if this is a team in decline what does that say about the rest of the Premier League?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Staggering lack of grace from Ferguson

Was it really staggering given his history ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

The amount of ABU's on this thread is staggering. Reminds me of Nelson off the simpsons. I hope ye get a great kick out of tonight cos next year the United quest to win the champions league continues. Not just to qualify but to win it. If Rafael deserved a second yellow then the match should have ended 7 a side.

yeah we are very worried by the threat poised by Ferdinand Scholes Giggs Neville and Co next year

oh thats right Fergie said he will add some squad players, Pep may as well retire in glory at the end of the season so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Whatever about the German comments.
    The gall of him to actually complain about the players surrounding the ref is pretty staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭goddevil

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    Channel 5 on Thursday nites!!! To all the United Fans who Laughed at Liverpool. Guess what we're still in Europe !!!!!

I'll take a CL quarter final defeat over winning the Europa League every single season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

K4t wrote: »
    Of course they will.

Ah GTFO of here and go watch the highlights.:rolleyes:

I am watching the highlights but now know who goes through. Who the **** are you anyway? How bout minding your own business. I'm sure ghe op can speak for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Was it really ?

yes it was exceptional and he should get fined from Uefa but I'm sure he won't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The amount of ABU's on this thread is staggering. Reminds me of Nelson off the simpsons. I hope ye get a great kick out of tonight cos next year the United quest to win the champions league continues. Not just to qualify but to win it. If Rafael deserved a second yellow then the match should have ended 7 a side.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

_47603761_oliccelebrates_afp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

I hope this finally means an end to the references to the 99 final and late upsets whenever an english team is playing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

3e lets support our own in the recession!

(deliciously ironic I know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'm a Liverpool fan mate so I mean this in the nicest way; just stop before you embarass yourself. ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Why Liverpool fans? WHY? So ****ing petty posting this ****.

peabutler wrote: »
    I'd love if Fergie heard Dunphy blabbing on and called him out on it.

Serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

All I want to say is United already have a trophy in the bag, have won the title 3 times on the trot and are fighting for a fourth, and have been the last English team in the Champions League this season.

Well joint last... It's hardly Arsenal's fault that they were scheduled to play a day earlier:pac:

Agree with the rest though:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Is that how far your standard has fallen , Wow Rafa job is really safe .

Anyway fair play to Bayern , many teams would have given up after Utd third .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Yes but you were knocked out of the Champions League long ago. We won't lose sleep about not being involved in the Europa League as we never want to be in it.

So if this is a team in decline what does that say about the rest of the Premier League?

thats a big come down in itself for utd ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

and have been the last English team in the Champions League this season.

not to be a pedant but ... uh.. Arsenal went out in the same round as United. Just because it was a night earlier shouldnt count imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

3e Home of Liverpool in the Europa League- so good they signed them up for a second season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Says ye are on the decline- blip (whatever), albeit momentarily, and the rest of us are delighted by it!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

I'm not a United fan but that's fairly ridiculous. Liverpool are in a worse competition to United AND they are in the exact same stage of that worse competition as United were in Europe's best competition before tonight's game, same score and all 2-1 down after the away leg, AND United were probably tipped to win tonight's game, so you could well be eating your words come this time tomorrow given Liverpool's state this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

wow, i see its spastic central in here tonight then

we were playing so well until conceding that goal. looked well in control and even then i thought we could take the game to them. the red card changed the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

If the United players had of reacted the same way when Van Bommel clattered Rafael in the 39th min, he would have been off imo.

Bayern maximised their situation, United didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

efb wrote: »
    3e Home of Liverpool in the Europa League- so good they signed them up for a second season!

Should just make it 3e - home of sh1t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

murpho999 wrote: »
    After that interview I'm wondering if SAF stands for 'Speaks Against Facts'.

How he could say Utd did well is beyond me.

Makes Utd losing even sweeter after an interview like that!

When it was 11 against 11, United tore strips of Bayern Munich. Van Buyten and Van Bommel were consistently fouling players, Van Buyten in perticular was targeting Rooneys weak ankle, recieved a yellow for his troubles and pertsisted to commit the same foul without consequence. Van Bommel got a yellow card and then commited a professional foul on Rafael, and was let away with it. Rafael deseverved to be sent off for stupidity alone, but why could the rules not be applied evenly for both sides?

United destroyed Munich in the first half, Bayern were fortunate to finish that half with 11 men as opposed to 9 and got a well taken and lucky goal. The second half started well for them and before United had a chance to attamept to hit their stride they were a man down.

Rafael was stupid and showed his inexperience by getting booked stupidly in the first half and allowing himself to be played by Ribery in the second. He also should have squared a cross to Rooney to put the tie to bed.

All that aside, the game was ruined after the sending off and Bayern were gifted a semi final appearance.

I can understand how the many ABU's here will have loved the result, but the way in which it was achieved was hardly fair.
    Had United played as dreadfully as they did last week Bayern would have deserved to go through, but as it stands they went through on luck and a poor set of decisions from the ref which made the second half less of a contest than a procession.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

in fairness Valencia spent plenty of time asking for players to be booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

But at least Rafael is young and there is a fair bit of potential there.

What's Michael Carrick's defence?!

i wasn't defending carrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

This thread should be locked. Nobody is discussing the match and ive seen more dignified discussions in a creche. Embarassing for the website.

I feel like this:
    2ynnwx1.gif
    ^^^not a pop a Liverpool, just an accurate description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Mr Alan wrote: »

In fairness he was being fouled more than anyone on the pitch.

I understand you're delighted United got beaten, but be serious for a moment.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

adox wrote: »
    I am watching the highlights but now know who goes through. Who the **** are you anyway? How bout minding your own business. I'm sure ghe op can speak for himself.
    No. There were two Cl matches on tonight and understandably and rightfully so, there is going to be crossover discussion in both threads. My advice to you is to come back here when you've finished watching your highlights. Taking spoiler etiquette to this extent is farcical.
    BERBA wrote: »
    thats a big come down in itself for utd ..
    The expectations are so great for Utd and Utd fans each season that when we don't reach the final of the Cl or win the league it is considered a disappointment. This is great but you can't go on like this forever. No team in the world in any sport can. Ffs, Kilkenny didn't even win the Hurling League this season! We still have a great chance of winning the league so it's time to put this defeat behind us and concentrate on the league.

will you be there next year tho

united will...:D:D:D:D:D:D

Boskowski wrote: »
    I think I said that. But I didn't mean that they were fooling the football world.

What I meant was that Manu seems on a bit of a slope. And now that I think about it...

- Ronaldo has not been replaced adequately.
    - Some nasty long term injuries. (e.g. Hargeaves was 25 mill out the window effectively)
    - A good few players are still great players but age-wise def'ny on the way out. Their (supposed) replacements don't seem to have the same quality.
    - Overall the team seems to live of experience rather than quality (of course such a statement must be put into perspective - I'm talking about "lack of quality" with regards to their own very high standards)
    - No flair. It has become a boring old Manchester United. No Cantona, no Beckham, no Ronaldo. No 'wow' factor.

If nothing happens Manchester may not be able to retain their dominant position in Europe and even in England and this just may be the start of it.

Now some of what I say here may seem a bit superficial but thats just the impression I'm getting.

I felt this post got a unfair reaction before the match and now it seems it more a sign for United fans that it's a big summer of spending they need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

joint last English team to be knocked out ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

cooker3 wrote: »
    Whatever about the German comments.
    The gall of him to actually complain about the players surrounding the ref is pretty staggering.

LOL.

How many times does Fergie have to deflect attention from his players' performance before the penny drops?

Twenty f*cking five years and people still fall for it.:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

correct, I seem to remember him counting out the number of fouls with his fingers to the ref... (the same thing junior infants do by the way.)
    Also I remember seeing utd players SURROUND refs over particular decisions in the past - or maybe they were Germans!

i never knew once = plenty

explain...

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    This thread should be locked. Nobody is discussing the match and ive seen more dignified discussions in a creche. Embarassing for the website.

I feel like this:
    2ynnwx1.gif
    ^^^not a pop a Liverpool, just an accurate description.

What the hell are you on about???
    Read the posts man, most posts in here are about the game, fair enough a few are about tv coverage of the game and a few about fergusons reaction after the game but I think that constitutes part of the game talk unless I'm wrong!!:confused:

nullzero wrote: »
    In fairness he was being fouled more than anyone on the pitch.

I understand you're delighted United got beaten, but be serious for a moment.

haha be serious? So it's okay to asked for players to be booked if they have been fouled a few times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

in fairness both were iron cast yellows. The red was deserved IMO. Less so that Bayern go through but such is life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Bayern were clearly intimidated by the arena in the first half but towards the end started to show signs of hope, which bled into the second half where we were on the attack for a lot of it, and managed to take a lot more possession.

Once it went to 11-v-10 (which was deserved, though I thought Evra was far worse on tackles, but Ribery is pushy when he needs to be - and don't dare suggest United wouldn't do the same) it was Bayern's game to lose. And we didn't. Once again my pre-match stuff comes true. It took 45mins for anything I said to take hold, but it happened - and all the nay sayers are moping around. Me? I'm drinking shiraz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    correct, I seem to remember him counting out the number of fouls with his fingers to the ref... (the same thing junior infants do by the way.)
    Also I remember seeing utd players SURROUND refs over particular decisions in the past - or maybe they were Germans!
    angry2803_468x414.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,564 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

nullzero wrote: »
    When it was 11 against 11, United tore strips of Bayern Munich. Van Buyten and Van Bommel were consistently fouling players, Van Buyten in perticular was targeting Rooneys weak ankle, recieved a yellow for his troubles and pertsisted to commit the same foul without consequence. Van Bommel got a yellow card and then commited a professional foul on Rafael, and was let away with it. Rafael deseverved to be sent off for stupidity alone, but why could the rules not be applied evenly for both sides?

United destroyed Munich in the first half, Bayern were fortunate to finish that half with 11 men as opposed to 9 and got a well taken and lucky goal. The second half started well for them and before United had a chance to attamept to hit their stride they were a man down.

Rafael was stupid and showed his inexperience by getting booked stupidly in the first half and allowing himself to be played by Ribery in the second. He also should have squared a cross to Rooney to put the tie to bed.

All that aside, the game was ruined after the sending off and Bayern were gifted a semi final appearance.

I can understand how the many ABU's here will have loved the result, but the way in which it was achieved was hardly fair.
    Had United played as dreadfully as they did last week Bayern would have deserved to go through, but as it stands they went through on luck and a poor set of decisions from the ref which made the second half less of a contest than a procession.

Wow, I didn't know Alex Ferguson used Boards?

The fact is that Utd let a 3 goal lead slip. That is a bad performance.
    Sending off was of course important to the game, but how many times have you seen teams down to 10 men defend leads or even go out and score a winner. Good tactics combined with a good performance can make 10 men very difficult to beat.

Also, the winner was a great finish by Robben, which had nothing to do with sending off, and should have been better defended by Utd.

Please don't use the 10 men as an excuse, yes it was an important factor but you have lost a 3 goal lead and the tie, which in my eyes is a bad performance. Game is about playing for 90 minutes not 45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Aidric wrote: »
    I am a little disappointed in Fergie's lack of graciousness but the man is absolutely seething. Two season turning results in the space of a few days. One lost to a shocking officials call and tonight the inexperience of youth costing us the game.

Cant argue with either. The drogba goal was levelled out by a handball goal.

Youth didnt cost anything, player did. Plenty of youth playing great stuff, Messi isnt exactly winding up his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

By that logic Newcastle are as good as Chelsea/Man U/Whoever wins the premiership :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

K4t wrote: »
    No. There were two Cl matches on tonight and understandably and rightfully so, there is going to be crossover discussion in both threads. My advice to you is to come back here when you've finished watching your highlights. Taking spoiler etiquette to this extent is farcical.

The expectations are so great for Utd and Utd fans each season that when we don't reach the final of the Cl or win the league it is considered a disappointment. This is great but you can't go on like this forever. No team in the world in any sport can. Ffs, Kilkenny didn't even win the Hurling League this season! We still have a great chance of winning the league so it's time to put this defeat behind us and concentrate on the league.

Emm last time I looked this was a united vs bayern thread. Anyone with a bit of cop on at this stage would spoiler other scores.

Thanks for the advice but if I want it, I'll ask for it, just like I'll ask for your opinion if I want it when I'm quoting someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

fergie has to take a lot of the blame for tonight. if that was rafa leaving an injured player on the pitch while a 30 million quid striker sitting on the bench and then playing most of the 2nd half playing a 4-5-0 formation. saying they didnt deserve to lose and then the typical german comment about the french player frank ribery.
    the media would be having a field day along with all the man u fans that regularly troll the liverpool thread.

I feel sorry for the genuine man utd fans pity they are few and far between

flahavaj wrote: »
    LOL.

How many times does Fergie have to deflect attention from his players' performance before the penny drops?

I'm actually getting disturbed by the amount of times I've agreed with you lately!!:eek:

Not healthy for a City supporter:D

flahavaj wrote: »
    LOL.

Spot on Flah. Still was funny to see him say it.

If he'd replaced the word German with Nazi imagine the meltdown !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

gutted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement