Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs. FC Bayern München - Champions League Q/Final 2nd Leg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Headshot wrote: »
    very soft yellow

ref was basically bullied into it by the bayer players

Ribery was just better than Valencia at convincing the referee, no biggie :confused:

I can't ****ing live with absolute **** that happened over these two ties.

I know I shouldn't but :D

You're right in saying that United lost to a poor team. Really surprised that they failed to progress against them but I ain't complaining. Some changes needed there, especially in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

It was clear to me at the time that the ref reached for the card BEFORE the Bayern players swarmed him?

He reached into his pocket, about 5 of them ran over, he said something along the lines of "Chill the **** out, im gonna book him like!" then booked him.

Its not as if the ref thought "Foul." Heard Ribery say "Thats a bleedin yella!" and thought "You know what, that actually is a yellow card."

In summary, i dont think the ref was conned into giving a card is a valid excuse. PHB is correct, individual errors cost us.

However, people writing us off as an aging team in the decline are foolish, and i am happy for them to think that and be shocked when we are competing for everything once again next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Dude. Seriously.
    You should get out more often. The sun is shining you know.
    PHB wrote: »
    How the **** we lost that tie is beyond me.

I agree. I don't understand it myself and I support Bayern. I really can't understand how

a) a team that dominates Bayern like Utd did in the first half can give away the match in the fashion they gave it away.

b) a team capable of dominating Utd like Bayern did in the second half can look like a choir of schoolboys for 30 mins,

This must be the most two-faced match, the biggest swing I've ever seen in a game of football.
    He also should be given a smack for the ****ing deliberate attacks of Rooney's ankle by Van Buyten being allowed.

Just repeating a convenient myth because it was said on television doesn't make it any truer. Nobody was deliberately going for Rooneys ankle. There was ONE slow motion replay showing van Buyten TAPPING Ronneys right SHIN ,thats it. Whatever TV eejit it was I can't remember, but he said in that scene 'look they're deliberately going for his ankle'. I thought 'what a load of bollix'.
    Anyway. The man had no business on the pitch. He was clearly not even a borderliner. He was injured going into the match. I'm 100% sure he played with a tapecast which is fine but he wasn't even happy with that. You could see it in every action. He should never have played since he didn't do himself and his team any favours.
    Their defence is absolutely awful and their midfield isn't much better.

The defense was overwhelmed in the first 30 minutes and looked like a bunch of schoolboys. Midfield and goalie were infected by this and I really feared for their 'lives' for half an hour.
    Main culprit was Badstuber, but I forgive him since he's 20 and in his first year as a regular starter in the league let alone CL. The alternative on that position is 17. What do you do?
    Van Buyten and Demichelis had good moments later on but are clearly not up to scratch at that level. Nor arguing with you there.
    Boy did 'we' look like bad in that phase of the match. I was tempted to switch off the telly with the cringeworthiness of it.

Our midfield is much better. Sure even they couldn't calm it down during those first 30 minutes. But thats a very difficult thing to do when your back line is at sea like this. Later on they showed how good they are and they completely dominated Utd just like I predicted.

Mind you Bayern should have been completely not in the game anymore at this stage, but Utd only have to blame themselves that they were indeed still in it.
    The winner of Inter-Barca are frankly going to hammer them in the final, should they get there. ... We lost to a significantly inferior team because of a series of individual errors.

Well, honestly unlike what some Utd supporters are doing consistently I'm not going to get ahead of myself. Lyon is going to be a very tough task. They got the better of Bayern in the group stage and will be very hard to overcome. But I tell you one thing if they do whoever is in the finals with either Bayern or Lyon will not hammer either of them.

I actually have a sneaky feeling Bayern may win the CL this year. Against Inter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Ribery was just better than Valencia at convincing the referee, no biggie :confused:

As I said yesterday, Ribery has blown whatever chance he had of convincing any of the Spanish giants to 'come and get me', he was simply awful and embarresing compared to two wingers on top of their game (Nani & Robben). When he could not get any change out of Rafael he resorted to cheating basically and although he was succesful in getting his way once his marker was gone it only highlighted and exposed the myth that has surrounded him over the last few years.

Bayern deserved to go through over the two legs as they simply dug in and got the goals they needed, fair play to them and best of luck in the Semi's, although I don't think they will beat either Inter or Barca if they get to the final i think they have enough to beat Lyon and you can't argue against that, they are there on merit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Boskowski wrote: »
    Lyon is going to be a very tough task. They got the better of Bayern in the group stage and will be very hard to overcome.

???

lyon were in the group stages with liverpool and fiorentina, how could anyone forget those two lyon injury time goals against liverpool in both matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

rossie1977 wrote: »
    ???

lyon were in the group stages with liverpool and fiorentina, how could anyone forget those two lyon injury time goals against liverpool in both matches

Correct.

Although Bordeaux beat Bayern in the groups and Lyon have knocked out Bord so go figure?

rossie1977 wrote: »
    ???

Oops :o
    Ah well those French, they look all the same don't they...;)

As I said yesterday, Ribery has blown whatever chance he had of convincing any of the Spanish giants to 'come and get me', he was simply awful and embarresing compared to two wingers on top of their game (Nani & Robben). When he could not get any change out of Rafael he resorted to cheating basically and although he was succesful in getting his way once his marker was gone it only highlighted and exposed the myth that has surrounded him over the last few years.

Bayern deserved to go through over the two legs as they simply dug in and got the goals they needed, fair play to them and best of luck in the Semi's, although I don't think they will beat either Inter or Barca if they get to the final i think they have enough to beat Lyon and you can't argue against that, they are there on merit.

How has he blown it? :D He's still in the Champions League and has the potential to win it, so I doubt he's really bothered at the moment about any interest from some Spanish teams. I'm sure Madrid are looking at Nani instead of Ribery :pac:

It's funny that you say Robben was class or whatever when in actual fact he had a poor enough game. Scored a cracking goal (funnily enough set up beautifully by Ribery) but other than that he was a little lost at times. Ribery is clearly not 100% fit but still managed to cause some problems when he was having a poor game. Did well in the last 20 mins of the game in fact.
    When he could not get any change out of Rafael he resorted to cheating basically and although he was succesful in getting his way once his marker was gone it only highlighted and exposed the myth that has surrounded him over the last few years.

:D:D:D

Pure gold. He didn't cheat. The ref was booking the player that was fouling Ribery. Unlucky. I know you're seething right now but some of the stuff you're coming out with here is just plain embarrassing. What 'myth' (:D) are you referring to? Haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Oops :o
    Ah well those French, they look all the same don't they...;)

...Fergie?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't argue that but I'd say Lyon also have enough to beat them. Both sides have poor defenses.

SlickRic wrote: »
    ...Fergie?

dam it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

b) a team capable of dominating Utd like Bayern did in the second half can look like a choir of schoolboys for 30 mins,

That one is easy. United were down to ten men.
    Just repeating a convenient myth because it was said on television doesn't make it any truer. Nobody was deliberately going for Rooneys ankle. There was ONE slow motion replay showing van Buyten TAPPING Ronneys right SHIN ,thats it. Whatever TV eejit it was I can't remember, but he said in that scene 'look they're deliberately going for his ankle'. I thought 'what a load of bollix'.

Sorry. Van Buyten clearly kicked Rooneys right ankle, with absolutely no chance of getting the ball, zero chance. It was done to deliberately injure him and should have been a yellow card.
    Later on they showed how good they are and they completely dominated Utd just like I predicted.

When they were down to ten men? You realise that makes a pretty big difference right?
    I actually have a sneaky feeling Bayern may win the CL this year. Against Inter.

For that to happen, Inter would have to play as ****ing awfully as United, because frankly, Inter are a far superior team to Bayern.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

I feel absolutely disgusted. It's exactly like Porto. How the **** we lost that tie is beyond me.

Carrick needs to be ****ed off. I'm fed up with his consistant **** performances and stupid ****ing decisions. Thanks for 2 goods years but seriously, **** off now please.

Whoever the **** was meant to be on the front post, I think it was Gibson, should be taken out and ****ing shot. Guy on the front post, ball gets cleared. Un-****ing believable.

Rafael was stupid, no doubt about it, and theyw ere both yellows. He's young and he'll learn. The ref needs to be given a smack for not giving him a free the first time around, stupid ****ing decision. But we didn't lose because of the ref, we lost this tie because of a series of individual errors. Evra, Carrick, Rafael, Front Post dude. Un-****ing acceptable.

Fergie's subs after the red were also ****ing ludicrous. He just allowed Bayern to have complete pressure constantly with nobody up front to hold up the ball. Absurdly defensive decision, but not at all surprising if you follow Fergie in Europe.

United lost, and imo deserved to lose. But Bayern are imo a distinctly average team. Their defence is absolutely awful and their midfield isn't much better. Robben and Ribery make them seem much better than they are. The winner of Inter-Barca are frankly going to hammer them in the final, should they get there. That's what makes this defeat so ****ing bitter. We lost to a significantly inferior team because of a series of individual errors. You lose to Barca or Inter because they best you I can live with. I can't ****ing live with absolute **** that happened over these two ties.

Sums up my feelings really. Raf was fouled and ends up getting a yellow the first time. Second yellow was very soft. United where better than Bayern 11 v 11.

Also, this is the second tie that Bayern won due to poor decisions by officials. Against Fiorentina in the first leg Van Bommel should have been sent off for a horror challenge and their winning "goal" was offside by a mile. Unless they get the rub of the officious green against Lyon they will struggle.

Carrick had another costly nightmare.

Valencia was immense. Nani played a blinder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

Bayern are no better than the Milan team we beat 7-2, we just have been off form and had a bad run of luck i these games v bayern, we would beat them 9 times out of ten.All we need is a back up striker to rooey and a proper midfiedler to replace carrick, maybe a creative one too

Rafael wouldnt have gotten the first yellow card if he had been awarded the free he rightly deserved in the first half.he lashed out because of the sense of injustice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Rafael wouldnt have gotten the first yellow card if he had been awarded the free he rightly deserved in the first half.he lashed out because of the sense of injustice
    Ifs and ands really. Rafael did well enough but showed a bit of inexperience to go it alone for that chance when he had two men on his inside. You could see Rooneys frustration. Think when United look back on two games they will realize their defence let them down a bit. Again Olic goal was very soft goal to concede before half time. Totally changed the tie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I always knew United fans have red tinted glasses but some of you lot are taking it to a whole new level by claiming the second booking was unfair.

Here's the video, he delibrately fouled him and prevented Bayern having a great attacking chance with 3 against 2. If that isn't a yellow card what is? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

blogSpan.jpg

"Please sir, please, PLEASE can I go? I'm bursting!"
    "SIT DOOOOOOOOOWN!"

Again Olic goal was very soft goal to concede before half time. Totally changed the tie.

To be fair Carrick was tracking the run and fell over....then lost the ball later, which led to the corner, which led to the Robben goal (cracker by the way). The defensive players in our team where ok. Midfield is a problem area for United.

• Advertisement

I always knew United fans have red tinted glasses but some of you lot are taking it to a whole new level by claiming the second booking was unfair.

Here's the video, he delibrately fouled him and prevented Bayern having a great attacking chance with 3 against 2. If that isn't a yellow card what is? :confused:

Its a very soft yellow considering it was a second booking. Its one of those where you could get away with a talking to. It's not like Ribery was bearing down on goal. Inexperience by Raf giving the ref a reason to produce a second yellow. The ref isn't wrong just harsh.

Hard to augur for a goal of Robbens quality but surely he got too much room to get in a shot. But as such would not blame defence too much for it as it was such a terrific strike. First goal could have been avoided. Carrick at fault but would give him a bit of credit for at least being in position to make challenge

3.30 into clip here you can see the marking isnt the best. Think thats Rafael behind Carrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

No complaints from those sucking lemons about "fergie time" . . In the 2nd half alone there was 6 Substitutions, a red card and 3 injurys and only 3 mins . .

I dont know . .

Maybe on some planet (lets call it planet bitter), only playing 3 mins was exactly what fergie demanded . . . :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

KeaneReferee_468x402.jpg

lol, that picture sprang in my mind as soon as fergie said it :)

Carrick at fault but would give him a bit of credit for at least being in position to make challenge

I can only think that playing 5 in midfield is to ensure that Carrick (being the most defensive midfielder) will track runs from the opposing midfield. He did the first part well but the actual tackling part is kinda important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

3 minutes made me laugh alright.

it wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference though.

the crowd barely even react, such was the lack of pressure on Bayern.

SlickRic wrote: »
    3 minutes made me laugh alright.

it wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference though.

the crowd barely even react, such was the lack of pressure on Bayern.

I agree, it could of been 30 and we still wouldnt of scored . .

Just making the point that certain fans forget that things go against united just as much as they go for us , they just conveniently forget whatever gets in the way of their delusional bitter line of thought . . .:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I agree with you but it is not his place to decide if it is a free and it is not his right to dish out punishment. He's young, it cost his team dearly and I hope he emerges as a better player for the experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Drumpot wrote: »
    I agree, it could of been 30 and we still wouldnt of scored . .

Just making the point that certain fans forget that things go against united just as much as they go for us , they just conveniently forget whatever gets in the way of their delusional bitter line of thought . . .:rolleyes:

Utd were just knocked out of champs league by Bayern (Karma, some might say), there is a lot of bitterness on here alright but I'd say this is a definite case of Drumpot calling the kettle black:pac:

• Advertisement

lol, that picture sprang in my mind as soon as fergie said it :)

Its funny cause Fergie is no different to most managers when it comes to wearing tinted glasses in these situations .. Ask Wenger if any of his players ever committed fouls that could of ended opponents careers .. Hell ask him if any of his players ever committed a foul at all and watch him squirm . .

Fergie time . . That old beaut . . Against City the linesman had already announced how much injury time to be played when united were leading . . Doesnt matter, Fergie time was at play. Against Liverpool there were 5 mins of injury time for nothing and it didnt benefit united, doesnt matter, in some way it benefited united so its fergie time. And last night how there were only 3 mins played is anybodys guess, but again ,lets ignore this so the next time there are more then 3 mins played in any united game and united are not winning, we can call it fergie time . . :rolleyes:

Ask a liverpool fan about Ronaldo's diving and listen to them rant . .Ask them about Gerrards regular cheating ways and they make excuses. Its funny when Gerrard sticks his fingers at a ref (or elbows michael Brown) or when Tevez celebrates on front of the united fans/bench and doesnt get punished but a travesty when Gary Neville celebrates a goal in Old Trafford gesturing towards the liverpool fans . .

Truth is that Fergie is the highest profile manager in football and united are the biggest club in England that people either love or love to knock ..

There are just complete double standards when it comes to talking about all things fergie and Man United (especially on this forum) ..

Utd were just knocked out of champs league by Bayern (Karma, some might say), there is a lot of bitterness on here alright but I'd say this is a definite case of Drumpot calling the kettle black:pac:

I'm just calling it how it is . .

I'm not bitter, just fedup of the double standards by the ABU's and showing up their petty ignorance . .

Drumpot wrote: »
    Its funny cause Fergie is no different to most managers when it comes to wearing tinted glasses in these situations .. Ask Wenger if any of his players ever committed fouls that could of ended opponents careers .. Hell ask him if any of his players ever committed a foul at all and watch him squirm . .

Fergie time . . That old beaut . . Against City the linesman had already announced how much injury time to be played when united were leading . . Doesnt matter, Fergie time was at play. Against Liverpool there were 5 mins of injury time for nothing and it didnt benefit united, doesnt matter, in some way it benefited united so its fergie time. And last night how there were only 3 mins played is anybodys guess, but again ,lets ignore this so the next time there are more then 3 mins played in any united game and united are not winning, we can call it fergie time . . :rolleyes:

Ask a liverpool fan about Ronaldo's diving and listen to them rant . .Ask them about Gerrards regular cheating ways and they make excuses. Its funny when Gerrard sticks his fingers at a ref (or elbows michael Brown) or when Tevez celebrates on front of the united fans/bench and doesnt get punished but a travesty when Gary Neville celebrates a goal in Old Trafford gesturing towards the liverpool fans . .

Truth is that Fergie is the highest profile manager in football that people either love or love to knock ..

There are just complete double standards when it comes to talking about all things fergie and Man United (especially on this forum) ..

Not really. I don't support either Liverpool or United and can confirm Gerrard does dive as does Rooney, also Arsenal have put bad tackles in and Ferguson is very bitter.

He's probably not as high profile as Jose anyway recently, media wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

It always surprises me about the attitude of english teams playing in the CL. No matter what team it was i'd always shout for unless they are playing against my team of course. Would love to see pool or fulham win europa league. But i'm begining to think i'm the minority here and that it is more a case of "well my teams not in the cl/el here's hoping no english team wins it"

Prufrock wrote: »
    I can only think that playing 5 in midfield is to ensure that Carrick (being the most defensive midfielder) will track runs from the opposing midfield. He did the first part well but the actual tackling part is kinda important.
    Yes Ill give Fergie credit for having a midfielder who at least comes back to help defender. We could have done with someone like that against Birmingham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

fergie needs a new defender, mildfielders and striker fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

fergie needs a new defender, mildfielders and striker fast

Not really - probably the strongest defense in the world in terms of depth.

Up front we're grand as well.

Midfielders are needed big time, at least one, maybe two...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

We just signed a Striker!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Manchester United have responded to their Champions League failure by announcing their second new signing for next season.

The Old Trafford outfit have confirmed terms have been agreed with Chivas for promising young Mexico international Javier Hernandez.

Subject to a work permit, the deal will be completed on July 1.

'Chicharito' joins Fulham defender Chris Smalling as a new United recruit, and will become the first Mexican player to sign for the Old Trafford outfit.

As part of the deal, United will play a match to open the new 45,000 capacity Chivas Stadium in Guadalajara as part of its 2010/11 season preparations.

Manager, Sir Alex Ferguson said: "I am delighted to reach agreement with Chivas to bring such an exciting young striker, who has been in such prolific form for both his club and his country.

"He will be a great addition to our squad and we look forward to welcoming our first Mexican player in the summer.

"We are equally excited to play our first game in Mexico, opening the magnificent new Chivas Stadium in July."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

he was clearly just awarding the foul and when all the Bayern players came waving their hands he got his cards out. If anything Ribery shoulda been booked for first pushing out at Raf and then waving his hands in the refs face.

Weak referee cost United imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Liam O wrote: »
    he was clearly just awarding the foul and when all the Bayern players came waving their hands he got his cards out. If anything Ribery shoulda been booked for first pushing out at Raf and then waving his hands in the refs face.

Weak referee cost United imo

So now you are saying it was the referee's fault that Rafael made a stupid foul while on a yellow card? seriously think about wht your saying, UTD are out of the champs league, it done its over , the bottem line is that UTD were not good enough in the second half and in the eind got put out because they thought they could play for 30mins in the first half then sit back an defend....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

the bottem line is that UTD were not good enough in the second half and in the eind got put out because they thought they could play for 30mins in the first half then sit back an defend....

Thats just stupid. United didn't sit back and defend until Rafael was sent off (which was a fair booking imo).

I think Bayern played both legs brilliantly. They let on at the start of each leg to be really weak, all over the place, let Utd score a few. Basically lulling Utd into a false sense of security to then unleash that footballing beast that they really are. Worked like a charm. :D

I think Bayern played both legs brilliantly. They let on at the start of each leg to be really weak, all over the place, let Utd score a few. Basically lulling Utd into a false sense of security to then unleash that footballing beast that they really are. Worked like a charm. :D

Thats the most stupid comment I have ever heard, let them score, are you serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

wind-up-lamp01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Thats the most stupid comment I have ever heard, let them score, are you serious
    Trilla wrote: »
    wind-up-lamp01.jpg

we really really need a sarcasm smiley/font

Actually it was t even in the most stupid posts on this thread bracket ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Well Bayern shouldn't even be there, the whole Fiorentina debacle. Really want Lyon to win it all!

one thing is certain Lyon will be much happier facing Bayern than United

Actually Bayern shouldn't even have played Fiorentina. Remember only a miracle win away to Juventus was going to get them out of the group. We're so efficient / poxed we're bound to win the thing this year. This must be the craziest rollercoaster CL season Bayern ever had. And it's not over yet.

one thing is certain Lyon will be much happier facing Bayern than United

I think you can take your red tinted glasses off. News for you, Utd were crap this year. Couldn't even get past an erratic Bayern side.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement