Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs. FC Bayern München - Champions League Q/Final 2nd Leg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Mayhem I like your view - of course I would -but I'm not quite as optimistic. I agree Bayern have the upper hand in midfield. Most certainly up front too with Rooney being out and all.

But as a whole Manchester are a very very solid side in big ties and usually find a second gear from somewhere. When they do they can turn on the heat quite uncomfortably and with a partisan crowd behind them I've seen them turning over many a game in the final twenty minutes. Of course they're also fkn poxed with regards to scoring from frees taking horrible deflections and they routinely intimidate referees into outrageous 'until we score' extra-times.
    As a place to go looking for a result in Europe it doesn't come much tougher than Old Trafford.

Having said all that 'Mir san Mir' and my gut instinct tells me semi-finals here we come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Boskowski wrote: »
    Mayhem I like your view - of course I would -but I'm not quite as optimistic. I agree Bayern have the upper hand in midfield. Most certainly up front too with Rooney being out and all.

But as a whole Manchester are a very very solid side in big ties and usually find a second gear from somewhere. When they do they can turn on the heat quite uncomfortably and with a partisan crowd behind them I've seen them turning over many a game in the final twenty minutes. Of course they're also fkn poxed with regards to scoring from frees taking horrible deflections and they routinely intimidate referees into outrageous 'until we score' extra-times.
    As a place to go looking for a result in Europe it doesn't come much tougher than Old Trafford.

Having said all that 'Mir san Mir' and my gut instinct tells me semi-finals here we come.

Sorry.... but I just had to laugh at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

In the middle Man UTD will be torn apart.

I guarantee that wont happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't have a clue what will happen in this match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Fletcher and Evra are looking very tired at this stage of the season, but if we get two big performances from them I think we should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Meanwhile United have a heap of pressure on them to get through, try and get back on top of the EPL and not injure anymore players.

Yeah, United have seen it all before. There's always pressure at United and it usually brings out the best in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'll give a Bayern-centric preview again, and get torn to shreds by United fans. Again. Then hopefully I'll be right and Bayern win. Again.

At the back, Bayern are weak. Anyone would have admitted that freely last time, and will continue to admit that. Having said that, Martin "Hamburglar" Demichelis played his best football all year on Saturday against Schalke (a 2-1 victory in a game of equal importance to United on Saturday), holding off the very, very good striker that is Kuryiani by doing what he was supposed to be doing. The rest of the defense did a great job, especially with young Contento at left-back doing a stellar job, and feeding great balls to Ribery. Until we became a 10 man team, against 12 (terrible ref)... but we won, importantly. The concern about defense is we may be without van Buyten. If not for the whole game, for the first half at least due to an injury sustained to his knee. He did train today with the team in Old Trafford, but there's no confirmation on how rough his training was. If he's out, we lose a key man at the back and are forced to bring in Contento. As good as he is, shifting Badstuber into the center is dangerous for us as it upsets the flow and puts two young defenders in a huge game. This will force us to have someone like Olic flow back all the time to help them out.

In the middle Man UTD will be torn apart. I'm sorry, but the first leg showed your midfield to be overrated. I said it pre-match and I was harshly critisised for it, and with a midfield that was 50% compiled of subs you hadn't got the flow or possession (note: I say 'you' with the assumption most boardsies here are not Bayern fans). Ribery did a great job, and scored an amazing goal on Saturday. I expect him to be on top form tomorrow. On the other side we were supposed to be weak last time 'round with Altintop but he blew everyone away, but now we have a fully fit, eager Arjen Robben waiting to tear the United defense a new one. Imagine Altintop (who should have scored one or two goals.. Robben won't miss those) squared. That's Robben. Couple that with a newly recuperated and appearing to be in-form and fighting Mario Gomez and you've a fantastic strike force. Olic's work ethic will keep the front of the team ticking over, and what he lacks in skill he makes up for in hard work, and pot shots. One of them is bound to go in. He's cheeky - as United saw last week with his daylight robbing of the defenses ball.

In the center of the pitch is van Bommel. I was shocked and somewhat horrified he didn't have more potshots at the legs of United players. He matured very quickly last week, but I expect a more aggressive yellow-card absorbing Mark on the pitch tomorrow. He's leading his band of merry men into war. But he also can have a fierce shot on goal. He scores when he needs to. He'll be playing a more defensive game, holding off any balls from the center to the forwards on United's side. If the game goes our way though, I expect him to lob some balls forward to Ribery.

Schweinsteiger is also back. He's grossly under-rated by the United fans. Good. You'll get a good taste of a hard working, young and aggressively offensive midfielder tomorrow. No one will get past him. He's great on set pieces (with Ribery and Robben we've a great team for taking free kicks and corners). He's also tall and intimidatingly ugly. He's also got a killer strike at goal from way out. He'll miss loads, but one will go on - and it'll be a blinder. Then hopefully we'll get a close up shot of his girlfriend in the crowd.

That's about it. Bayern are going into Old Trafford with it all to win. We can all argue advantages and disadvantages with United holding a precious away goal - but with our attacking force in full swing an early goal will set us up for a defensive game that allows us to hold down the fort and take pot shots when possible. It's nice to see United fans still writing Bayern off at this point, despite the fact that United have lost as many games as Bayern have in the same week. You're also probably without Rooney - a key player in this. Depending on the score, I think it would be madness for old man grumpy to play Rooney and risk further damage. You need him more for the EPL, and England needs him for the WC.

I'm not writing united off, incidentally. It'll be a tough game. I just think Bayern are going in with the momentum behind them, and a full strength squad (bar the back line, possibly). I saw pics from training today at Old Trafford and Bayern were a happy bunch of guys. Even van Gaal, who never smiles. Never. Even Ribery was talking up the team in the press, and smiling. It's a team that have found their individual talents and managed to blend them into a proper working machine at the end of the season. Meanwhile United have a heap of pressure on them to get through, try and get back on top of the EPL and not injure anymore players.

Lol that was brilliant! You start off by having a go at United fans for having unrealistic opinions of their team and then continue with how Bayern are going to basically destroy them in every part of the field.

If someone came on and posted something as one-sided and "ra-ra-ra" as that for United your head would probably explode.

My favourite is how half your team will be taking potshots all night and at least one of them from each player are "bound" to go in :D

Bukman13 wrote: »
    Sorry.... but I just had to laugh at that.

Hey I do see the irony in that, but in fairness...while Bayern got one of those the last time it usually is a Utd speciality.

keane2097 wrote: »
    My favourite is how half your team will be taking potshots all night and at least one of them from each player are "bound" to go in :D

must be that shaky goalie of yours that makes him say that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I'll give a Bayern-centric preview again, and get torn to shreds by United fans. Again. Then hopefully I'll be right and Bayern win. Again.

At the back, Bayern are weak. Anyone would have admitted that freely last time, and will continue to admit that. Having said that, Martin "Hamburglar" Demichelis played his best football all year on Saturday against Schalke (a 2-1 victory in a game of equal importance to United on Saturday), holding off the very, very good striker that is Kuryiani by doing what he was supposed to be doing. The rest of the defense did a great job, especially with young Contento at left-back doing a stellar job, and feeding great balls to Ribery. Until we became a 10 man team, against 12 (terrible ref)... but we won, importantly. The concern about defense is we may be without van Buyten. If not for the whole game, for the first half at least due to an injury sustained to his knee. He did train today with the team in Old Trafford, but there's no confirmation on how rough his training was. If he's out, we lose a key man at the back and are forced to bring in Contento. As good as he is, shifting Badstuber into the center is dangerous for us as it upsets the flow and puts two young defenders in a huge game. This will force us to have someone like Olic flow back all the time to help them out.

In the middle Man UTD will be torn apart. I'm sorry, but the first leg showed your midfield to be overrated. I said it pre-match and I was harshly critisised for it, and with a midfield that was 50% compiled of subs you hadn't got the flow or possession (note: I say 'you' with the assumption most boardsies here are not Bayern fans). Ribery did a great job, and scored an amazing goal on Saturday. I expect him to be on top form tomorrow. On the other side we were supposed to be weak last time 'round with Altintop but he blew everyone away, but now we have a fully fit, eager Arjen Robben waiting to tear the United defense a new one. Imagine Altintop (who should have scored one or two goals.. Robben won't miss those) squared. That's Robben. Couple that with a newly recuperated and appearing to be in-form and fighting Mario Gomez and you've a fantastic strike force. Olic's work ethic will keep the front of the team ticking over, and what he lacks in skill he makes up for in hard work, and pot shots. One of them is bound to go in. He's cheeky - as United saw last week with his daylight robbing of the defenses ball.

In the center of the pitch is van Bommel. I was shocked and somewhat horrified he didn't have more potshots at the legs of United players. He matured very quickly last week, but I expect a more aggressive yellow-card absorbing Mark on the pitch tomorrow. He's leading his band of merry men into war. But he also can have a fierce shot on goal. He scores when he needs to. He'll be playing a more defensive game, holding off any balls from the center to the forwards on United's side. If the game goes our way though, I expect him to lob some balls forward to Ribery.

Schweinsteiger is also back. He's grossly under-rated by the United fans. Good. You'll get a good taste of a hard working, young and aggressively offensive midfielder tomorrow. No one will get past him. He's great on set pieces (with Ribery and Robben we've a great team for taking free kicks and corners). He's also tall and intimidatingly ugly. He's also got a killer strike at goal from way out. He'll miss loads, but one will go on - and it'll be a blinder. Then hopefully we'll get a close up shot of his girlfriend in the crowd.

That's about it. Bayern are going into Old Trafford with it all to win. We can all argue advantages and disadvantages with United holding a precious away goal - but with our attacking force in full swing an early goal will set us up for a defensive game that allows us to hold down the fort and take pot shots when possible. It's nice to see United fans still writing Bayern off at this point, despite the fact that United have lost as many games as Bayern have in the same week. You're also probably without Rooney - a key player in this. Depending on the score, I think it would be madness for old man grumpy to play Rooney and risk further damage. You need him more for the EPL, and England needs him for the WC.

I'm not writing united off, incidentally. It'll be a tough game. I just think Bayern are going in with the momentum behind them, and a full strength squad (bar the back line, possibly). I saw pics from training today at Old Trafford and Bayern were a happy bunch of guys. Even van Gaal, who never smiles. Never. Even Ribery was talking up the team in the press, and smiling. It's a team that have found their individual talents and managed to blend them into a proper working machine at the end of the season. Meanwhile United have a heap of pressure on them to get through, try and get back on top of the EPL and not injure anymore players.

All goods points but if you have changed our underpants since last week their all mute.:

• Advertisement

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    All goods points but if you have changed our underpants since last week their all mute.:

attachment.php?attachmentid=110043&stc=1&d=1270628612

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

3-1

12/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Rooney by all accounts will be out. And Robben they say i set for a return. Should make for a fascinating contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If United continue the performances of the last two games it won't be fascinating at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Be well surprised if Bayern didn't win, can't see Utd getting this one, esp with Rooney out!!!!
    Ya never know tho'

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭antod

Boggles wrote: »
    3-1

12/1

have you money on it ???,no use putting up bets and afterwards you had nothing on it ,dont see that score line myself its a very hard game to predict a scorline.

http://www.tz-online.de/sport/fussball/fc-bayern/fc-bayern-manchester-united-wayne-rooney-training-einheit-tz-704595.html#

According to a Munich newspaper Wayne Rooney had a full training session once the cameras were gone yesterday evening and may well feature in tonights clash.

Ah whatever, if you want to be up there with the very best of Europe you gotta beat one or two of them Rooney or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i hope he doesnt play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

http://www.tz-online.de/sport/fc-bayern/fc-bayern-manchester-united-wayne-rooney-training-einheit-meta-704594.html

According to a Munich newspaper Wayne Rooney had a full training session once the cameras were gone yesterday evening and may well feature in tonights clash.

Ah whatever, if you want to be up there with the very best of Europe you gotta beat one or two of them Rooney or not.

yeah, one of the papers in england (mail or mirror i think) were saying he played in a 11 v 11 training game yesterday afternoon

http://www.tz-online.de/sport/fc-bayern/fc-bayern-manchester-united-wayne-rooney-training-einheit-meta-704594.html

Sounds unlikely but I'd love to see him play.

For me the CL and EPL are of roughly equal worth.

The EPL is out of our hands so I'd like us to put everything into winning the CL since we can decide our own destiny in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Given the fact that Rooney is out and the way we are playing atm, I predict Utd to go out tonight. The rest of the team isnt good enough imo.

Osu wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion that Bayern weren't that great first leg. We we're just terrible.

I wouldn't say our midfield is over-rated, because a lot of United fans have been calling for a new CM for a while now. Obviously, were poor through the middle compared to other top-class European sides.

I'm not a big fan of Bayern granted I only seen them in the Champions League 3 times in 2010, but I wasn't impressed with what I saw. But we shouldn't be playing Bayern at all, we should be playing Fiorentina. The Voila out played Bayern over the two legs.

Perhaps, I think you over-rate Bayern and I probably under-rate them.

Nonetheless, I still see this game as a draw match.

Can't see United winning tomorrow. Lack of confidence, lack of Rooney, lack of a decent CM to play with Fletch!

i must say thats a brillant summary.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

I have a bad feeling. United going out I'd say. :(

antod wrote: »
    have you money on it ???,no use putting up bets and afterwards you had nothing on it ,dont see that score line myself its a very hard game to predict a scorline.

Sorry. What? :confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Some serious ****ing doom merchants in this place. Come on united.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Lads the second goal in Munich United conceded was incidental, once we scored the vital away goal it was always only a one nil win we needed without conceding which they are very capable of. The centre of defense looks back to normality and my only worry is Neville V Ribery, although with the exception of two moments of brillance in Munichthe frenchman hardly looked the player people have been spouting on all season over. Patrice had one moment of madness to let the second goal happen and otherwise was his usual dependible self on the night.

The way people are going on is if we have no chance at all of going through. I will say it here, Munich are NO Chelsea, we are easily as good as them with or without Rooney. Lets have a little bit of self belief please, we have reached the last three Semi's and have an excellant oppurtunity of reaching a fourth one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Lads the second goal in Munich United conceded was incidental, once we scored the vital away goal it was always only a one nil win we needed without conceding which they are very capable of. The centre of defense looks back to normality and my only worry is Neville V Ribery, although with the exception of two moments of brillance in Munichthe frenchman hardly looked the player people have been spouting on all season over. Patrice had one moment of madness to let the second goal happen and otherwise was his usual dependible self on the night.

The way people are going on is if we have no chance at all of going through. I will say it here, Munich are NO Chelsea, we are easily as good as them with or without Rooney. Lets have a little bit of self belief please, we have reached the last three Semi's and have an excellant oppurtunity of reaching a fourth one.

Didn't you hear Ferguson though? Neville is as fast as Ribery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Ribery destroyed Neville in the first game and that wasn't even a fully fit Ribery or even one that's on amazing form! Park should have been on that side to try and ease some of the pressure.

Ribery destroyed Neville in the first game and that wasn't even a fully fit Ribery or even one that's on amazing form! Park should have been on that side to try and ease some of the pressure.

I must have been watching a different game to everyone else.

I thought Neville did grand :confused:

• Advertisement

You must have been.

You must have been.

Well what did he do in the game that was so amazing?

I only remember Ribery getting past Neville the once. Right on the line with a lovely little flick.

Neville destroyed himself with the handball alright.

Park was played to mark Lahm, which was stupid.

I have no doubt Fergie will learn from his mistakes in Munich.

Hopefully he plays 2 up front.

I'm hoping Macheda - Berbatov. But I know it's gona be Giggs behind Berbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

3-1

12/1
    Would check starting team before making that bet tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I would absolutely love to see a Kikotov strike force tonight.

Also, I remember a certain second leg a few years ago where we had been played off the park in the first leg, also losing 2-1. That didn't turn out too badly. I'm confident.

I'm sure Bayern would love to see that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I would be beyond gobsmacked if Fergie started 4-4-2 tonight.

Beyond that, it would be absurd. The best thing we can do tonight is stop Bayern from scoring. With their weak defence, we will get a chance or two to nick it no matter what. Once we take that chance we will be fine. Gota keep a clean sheet tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Archimedes wrote: »

that will not happen unless it's 70 minutes in and Fergie has little choice left.

Giggs and Berba will be fine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Archimedes wrote: »

Ha! Sounds like a Russian missile or secret weapon of some sort :D

Yep 7-1 last time we were in this situtation, 3-1 will do grand tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

3-1 at 12/1 looks huge to me.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I thought Neville did grand :confused:

He did indeed, except for one fancy flick Ribery was very poor. in fact for someone supposidly putting himself in the shop window for his 'dream move' to Spain (at least this years dream move anyway) I would hardly say he did simself any justice. His entire season has been like this though, not just against United. He has been outshone by Robben in every aspect this season. Maybe tonight he will show us what people have been talking about.

• Advertisement

Sorry. What? :confused:

Adverts | Friends

3-1

12/1

antod wrote: »

Adverts | Friends

3-1

12/1

No you said there was no point betting unless you put money on it.

Which reminds me of this picture.

captain_obvious.jpg

He did indeed, except for one fancy flick Ribery was very poor. in fact for someone supposidly putting himself in the shop window for his 'dream move' to Spain (at least this years dream move anyway) I would hardly say he did simself any justice. His entire season has been like this though, not just against United. He has been outshone by Robben in every aspect this season. Maybe tonight he will show us what people have been talking about.

Oh my :D All kinds of wrong in here. He's started around 5 games this year in the league, came on as a sub a number of times, still managed 4 goals and the same number of assists. Injuries really haven't helped his cause this year so what you're saying is a tiny bit misleading. Robben has started in over twice the number of games as Ribery, so obviously he's going to have more opportunities to shine.

Sorry, but I just hate misleading info.

Oh my :D Sorry, but I just hate misleading info.

Well then don't post any, easily solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Ribery had an easy time against Neville last week. Went past him a few times, stood him up and had space to play some lovely diagonal balls into the box a few times and generally got a lot of joy in that area of the pitch. The only thing he didn't do was send in lots of crosses from the by-line but that's more down to him being a right footer on the left side imo. He still managed to direct a lot of Bayern's attacks and Neville could do fùck all about it. I do agree he's over rated though. If Bayern have any sense they'll play Robben on the left. If he were to run at Nev he'd easilly get into the box and scare the life out of the defence.

This Bayern team are nothing special imho but I've a horrible feeling we missed our chance last week. The team will need to produce their performance of the season to go through tonight imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

To be honest ,Think Utd will going through ,will not be easy , But from looking at the last week game again ,And maybe it through rose-tinted glasses but I honestly though Bayern where starting to run out of ideas and looked like a team about to let their heads drop until Neville brainfart and the deflected goal that resulted, Think as PHB said their defence is a weak spot, that we can get at and we will get chances tonight ,Also They have a little choice to make in the way they approach the game A.to have and hold or B. be more adventurous , both ways have there own pitfalls , Utd have a much simplier basic task ,They simply must win the game
    Sometimes football can be a simple game.:pac:

Anyway 2-0
    or 3-1 after a :eek: you know,,,, the normal hard way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

lordgoat wrote: »
    Some serious ****ing doom merchants in this place. Come on united.
    :D

Just makes you wonder what they would be like if they supported a weaker team .

I have a feeling man united will have a great match . I hope at least they play a good game of football.

We could win this by one goal and go through , we could not.
    As long as it's an enjoyable game I am happy .
    Watching it with a bayern munich fan and friend so should be fun whatever the outcome:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

I feel we can do it tonight.Expect a backlash as a result of losing two on the bounce.Dont get me wrong it will not be easy,but with the united faithful willing us on we'll get the result.Rooney is a huge loss to us but we need Berbs,Valencia,Nani to step up to the plate.Fingers crossed 2-0 to Manchester United.
    Im off to the bookies now to take the 9/2 on offer for us to win the Champ league.COME ON UNITED!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Just to lift the mood in here.

The last time United trailed going into a 2nd leg at Old Trafford this happened.

Full of energy and tempo, we need that same desire tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Bukman13 wrote: »
    Just to lift the mood in here.

The last time United trailed going into a 2nd leg at Old Trafford this happened.

Full of energy and tempo, we need that same desire tonight.
    So what you're saying is we need Alan Smith back :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement