Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs. FC Bayern München - Champions League Q/Final 2nd Leg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Ush1 wrote: »
    Random variance would depend on the timeframe so it will still show a decline so you're wrong there.

You're confusing trend and decline I see.

No I'm not making that mistake, you're making the mistake of reading into that. The point I illustrated shows a decline, plain as day. The fact that you don't seem to understand the term is much more annoying.

Isnt this Man u vs Bayern thread? Philosophy is that---> way !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ribery would like JOS to play too me thinks.
    Ribery wants be be nutmegged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I doubt if anyone over the age of 20 seriously believes that...

I'd like to think that at least 80% of Liverpool FC supporters do:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Headshot wrote: »
    how old are you ?

What has that got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Boskowski wrote: »
    Just as an example lets take Arsenal.

Arsenal have ONE better striker, not as good a midfield with the exception of Fabregas and with the exception of Sagna I don't see a good defense there either. Goalie, well we don't even need to go there.
    Arsenal flatter to deceive but have no stability no oompf cant stick the boot in at all. Looks nice against Wigan but gettin a spanking from every solid side in the EPL and Europe.
    I'd fancy Bayern over Arsenal every day of the week to be honest.

I just disagree with most of your opinions there (except the keeper). But it's only opinions. Bayern COULD prove me wrong, if they do I'll hold my hand up and say I was wrong.

• Advertisement

Isnt this Man u vs Bayern thread? Philosophy is that---> way !!

:pac:
    What I'm saying is fact, not philosophy.

But hey, I still think Manchester United will win tonight.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd expect Park in front of Carrick and Fletcher myself. We need energy tonight.

I also think if O'Shea is fit he'll definately start. The question is really over his fitness, nothing else, he's superior to Neville atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

PHB wrote: »
    I'd expect Park in front of Carrick and Fletcher myself. We need energy tonight.

I also think if O'Shea is fit he'll definately start. The question is really over his fitness, nothing else, he's superior to Neville atm.

Tbh, I can't see O'shea starting. He has had no game time since November it would be criminal to throw him in against Ribery.

But a fully fit, match sharp O'shea would have Ribery in his pocket :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I think O Shea might start and also Gibson ahead of Carrick. He was really bad against Bayern in the first leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ush, seriously, what are you doing?

more importantly, why are you doing it?

you know where people stand. obviously language differences or not, you don't need to continue with this. it is completely pointless.

utd aren't declining, as we see it. it is potentially a blip. if that.

if you want to argue the definition of 'decline', maybe go to the English section on boards, if there is one?

this is one of the most pointless discussions i've seen on these boards. and i'm a Liverpool fan, who is used to arguing the most mundane of points in my own team's thread.

• Advertisement

Don't want to do the thinking for you but how is a fit JOS who hasnt played a competitive game in donkeys going to be a better choice than Gary Neville with all his experience and actual gamefitness. The nasty little sh1t that he is...:p

SlickRic wrote: »

you know where people stand. obviously language differences or not, you don't need to continue with this. it is completely pointless.

if you want to argue the definition of 'decline', maybe go to the English section on boards, if there is one?

this is one of the most pointless discussions i've seen on these boards. and i'm a Liverpool fan, who is used to arguing the most mundane of points in my own team's thread.

Indeed. I'm not replying to myself if you hadn't noticed.
    There is no arguement with me, I've not much interest in what you call a blip or whatever, just stating the facts is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What has that got to do with anything?

"The fact that you don't seem to understand the term is much more annoying."

post like that is being very childish

you seem to love the last word too which is also childish, you posts seem to me that you think your always right and if you dont get your away you kick up a fuss
    SlickRic wrote: »

might as well be talking to the wall
    How old are you Headshot?

im 23

and i act like it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

How old are you Headshot?

"The fact that you don't seem to understand the term is much more annoying."

post like that is being very childish

you seem to love the last word too which is also childish, you posts seem to me that you think your always right and if you dont get your away you kick up a fuss

might as well be talking to the wall

Not really, he remarked something being annoying, I retorted with what I thought was annoying yet you quoted me. Doesn't strike me as particularly childish at all.

Get my way? Lost me there tbh.

I find posting a reply with a meaningless animated graphic far more childish tbh.

im 23

and i act like it :)

*slow clap*

And you say I'm childish...

BTW, if you want to have your final thought on me and what type of person I strike you as, you can PM me if you feel the need to tell me this personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Fighting on the Internet is a bit like the Special Olympics. Even if you win, your still a retard.

The JOSH is back.

98278168.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F556CF191DF5FEBFEA28FF1DDC736BE90E87F5437B15C20944

Nice bra too :).

BTW, if you want to have your final thought on me and what type of person I strike you as, you can PM me if you feel the need to tell me this personally.

This is as childish as it gets now, you may as well ask him to meet you outside the playground and bring his handbag. manbag.

Vanbis wrote: »
    This is as childish as it gets now, you may as well ask him to meet you outside the playground and bring his handbag.

Hardly.
    If what he is saying has nothing to do with the debate and just with me as a person, surely that's what PM is for no? He wasn't even addressing anyone else, just addressing me. Not for the first time. So if he wants to do that in future, PM makes sense.

• Advertisement

This is as childish as it gets now, you may as well ask him to meet you outside the playground and bring his handbag.

ill bring my man's bag

ill bring my man's bag

I just edited my original comment :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

FFS, this has become total **** to even try to read

Its about the game. **** off with your utd in decline bs. absolutely tilting

I look forward to the teams being announced

Hardly.
    If what he is saying has nothing to do with the debate and just with me as a person, surely that's what PM is for no? He wasn't even addressing anyone else, just addressing me. Not for the first time. So if he wants to do that in future, PM makes sense.

this is my final discussion with you tbh

Im addressing you because you've done this kinda of stuff plenty of times, humility crap in the utd thread and now this decline stuff, I came in this thread to read about a utd v bayern match not whether utd are in decline but posters give their opinions but that's not enough, you keep hammering on about it.
    I just edited my original comment :rolleyes:

Vanbis did you ever see the episode of friends with the handbag :P

Wow, is this normal? Game still 3 hours away and we have 22 pages.

And as the thread creator I'd love to see the language theorists to go to some other place

lets get the handbags out....:D

attachment.php?attachmentid=110104&stc=1&d=1270656127

Boskowski wrote: »
    Wow, is this normal? Game still 3 hours away and we have 22 pages.

Ush1 55
    Boskowski 32
    keane2097 28
    Pro. F 24
    Mitch Connor 21
    Bukman13 16
    flahavaj 14
    Spud83 13
    SlickRic 11
    Headshot 10

Here's your answer

this is my final discussion with you tbh

Im addressing you because you've done this kinda of stuff plenty of times, humility crap in the utd thread and now this decline stuff, I came in this thread to read about a utd v bayern match not whether utd are in decline but posters give their opinions but that's not enough, you keep hammering on about it.

Great, again you could have pm'd this yet you go about wanting to read about bayern v united so talking nonsense.

Nothing to do with posters giving opinions, I said something, they challenged it.

• Advertisement

I remember it well, i would post a picture but....:)

Looking forward to seeing the team news for the game tonight from both teams. I expect Manutd will come out the blocks with a high tempo and try get an early goal. I hoping Berbatov Andy Garica turns tonight and puts in a good performance.

Bukman13 wrote: »
    Ush1 55
    Boskowski 32
    keane2097 28
    Pro. F 24
    Mitch Connor 21
    Bukman13 16
    flahavaj 14
    Spud83 13
    SlickRic 11
    Headshot 10

Here's your answer

Anyone else notice a decline there?

Random variance would depend on the timeframe so it will still show a decline so you're wrong there. In fact, any number of other variables.

You're confusing trend and decline I see.

No I'm not making that mistake, you're making the mistake of reading into that. The point I illustrated shows a decline, plain as day. The fact that you don't seem to understand the term is much more annoying.

Ush I am not one of the people who has been arguing with you about the dictionary definition of the word 'decline'. I have been arguing with you about whether there is in fact real evidence of an actual trend of decline. I made that very clear from the start yesterday.

The dictionary is a blunt reference tool whereas statistics is a branch of maths that can be used to discern the true nature of things as opposed to their surface, or short term, appearances. The point you illustrated may appear to show a decline, but with the slightest bit of statistical enquiry it becomes obvious that that apparent decline is not actually a real trend.

Now, your post is a little misleading because while you're mostly talking about semantics you also mentioned this:
    Random variance would depend on the timeframe so it will still show a decline so you're wrong there. In fact, any number of other variables.
    That appears like your argument is based on statistics as well (which I highly doubt) but it actually doesn't make any sense when it's read. So if you want to make a reasoned statistical argument I will look at it. If not, then we can accept that my argument stands. And all the other posters that made the same argument too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yup.

I do, not sure about the others!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Pro. F wrote: »
    That appears like your argument is based on statistics as well (which I highly doubt) but it actually doesn't make any sense when it's read. So if you want to make a reasoned statistical argument I will look at it. If not, then we can accept that my argument stands. And all the other posters that made the same argument too.

I just saw that random variance bit there when you quoted it - it's embarrassing.

• Advertisement

great to have the match on RTE

RTE for Eamo and the boys, and ITV HD there after

btw pro f let it go....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I must say, the nerves are starting to kick in big time. Need a drink!

Ush I am not one of the people who has been arguing with you about the dictionary definition of the word 'decline'. I have been arguing with you about whether there is in fact real evidence of an actual trend of decline. I made that very clear from the start yesterday.

The dictionary is a blunt reference tool whereas statistics is a branch of maths that can be used to discern the true nature of things as opposed to their surface, or short term, appearances. The point you illustrated may appear to show a decline, but with the slightest bit of statistical enquiry it becomes obvious that that apparent decline is not actually a real trend.

Now, your post is a little misleading because while you're mostly talking about semantics you also mentioned this:

Fair enough, what it sounds like you're saying then is long term decline over many seasons. Not semantics. I'm not sure if United are suffering this or will suffer it but the op listed his reasons why he thinks they may, and I think they have merit. I don't actually agree as I havn't seen enough evidence for it.

Yes, it stands if you're talking a long term decline over many seasons. But what I am saying is true by definition, not over many seasons, but from one to another.

Ush1 55
    Boskowski 32
    keane2097 28
    Pro. F 24
    Mitch Connor 21
    Bukman13 16
    flahavaj 14
    Spud83 13
    SlickRic 11
    Headshot 10

Here's your answer

Yep, quite a few posts there?

btw pro f let it go....

I'm done, i'm done. I'm sorry :( really i'm done

Come here, OT: What do ye think Ferguson will do? Make some big clever change in the formation/tactics? Or put out much the same team and just demand that they perform, with the hairdrier as motivation?

• Advertisement

btw pro f let it go....

Hardly great tbh. The guys there really don't have a clue. They'll be even more confused when it comes to the semi's and there's no English side in sight.

Hardly great tbh. The guys there really don't have a clue. They'll be even more confused when it comes to the semi's and there's no English side in sight.

Haven't you heard? Eamo is a Spanish football expert!:pac:

True, he'll get to see his second Spanish game this season come Saturday.

What do ye think Ferguson will do? Make some big clever change in the formation/tactics? Or put out much the same team and just demand that they perform, with the hairdrier as motivation?

Biggest thing will be tactical imo.

The the Old Trafford crowd simple wont allow the team to sit back and put no pressure on the ball like they did in Munich. I'm expecting a high tempo, energetic start.

ATTACK,
    ATTACK,
    ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK.

homer.jpg

mg anyone one with ****ing brain knows that

they are the best at what they do

[img]http://i.imagehost.org/0386/homer.jpg[/imgl] mg anyone one with ****ing brain knows that they are the best at what they do[/img]

I was going to use the facepalm image for your post, weird that!

Best at what they do? What are you on about? How can you possibly enjoy listening to those idiots on RTE? I prefer proper discussion after a game, not some pub talk. It's embarrassing how people still think they're great etc :D

Best at what they do? What are you on about? How can you possibly enjoy listening to those idiots on RTE? I prefer proper discussion after a game, not some pub talk. It's embarrassing how people still think they're great etc :D

you just dont get it

Biggest thing will be tactical imo.

The the Old Trafford crowd simple wont allow the team to sit back and put no pressure on the ball like they did in Munich. I'm expecting a high tempo, energetic start.

ATTACK,
    ATTACK,
    ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK.

I don't think the tactics in Munich were to sit back tbh, it just happene because of the lack motivation and concentration imo. Either way, hopefully you're right. I'm gettin nervous now - especially because I sort of have this glimmer of hope that the team will end up putting in one of those great performances that they come out with now and again.

btw pro f let it go....

I much rather watch football and listen to Giles and Dunphy on RTE then sky or anyother. Not everyone agrees with their point of views but they call it as they see. Unlike the muppetts on sky who sit on the fence incase they upset someone.

Anybody who watches post match analysis (be it RTE, ITV, SKY or BBC) and expects to learn something or find an engaging disscussion about the game is kidding themselves.

Their primary function these days is to entertain and RTE are head and shoulders above the rest in that category.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement