Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adenoid Operation

Options
  • 06-04-2010 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

just wondering if anyone has any experience of this procedure and its benefits or cons, my 5yr old is due in hospital in a couple of weeks to get his adenoids removed, I had never even heard of these until a few months ago.

I am really nervous about him having the op, and would appreciate any info any of you may have.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I had mine done as a kid, along with my tonisil and it made a world of difference to me and being able to breath and not suffer so much pain when I had a cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fotografya

My son's adenoids has been removed almost 2 years ago. He was having severe problems with his tonsils, He was 3 years old and already been on countless anti-biotics so his doctor decided to remove his tonsils as well as his adenoids. We didn't know what were they either, I think they are like tonsils and located at the back of the nose. TBH I still couldn't find any answers to what exactly their function is but I can tell you that by watching my son, people can leave absolutely normal without them.

And the removal operation is quick enough, my son was discharded from the hospital the next morning and he was out playing the next day. Thank God no more ear - throat infections, no breathing through his mouth since...it was hard to watch him suffering.

I wish you best of luck, hope everything goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I had mine out when i was 7, i had chronic ear infections from mumps rubella and measles, they're all connected to the ear nose and throat and like the tonsils when they're infected they swell up at the top of the nose, almost between the eyes. they can cause blocked nose when infected .
    this would be a useful site for you to check out

http://kidshealth.org/kid/ill_injure/sick/adenoids.html#a_When_Adenoids_Swell

;) hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭coolabula

thanks for the input guys, feel a bit better about the op now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭coolabula

well he had the op on thursday and though it was horrible watching him have the anesthestic he was up and about that afternoon, and home on Friday, much better :D

Thanks for the advice, really appreciated it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Glad to hear it went well and that he's recovering nicely.

Advertisement