Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking It's Time To Build A PC Advise Please

Options
  • 06-04-2010 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I have been putting this back for some time now but i think over the next few months around July i will start.

I'm thinking about getting the AMD Phenom II X4 965 or getting the AMD Phenom II X6 1095T(Advise). Also i already have a 700w PSU it's a cheap one but it's still working Ezcool PSU so should i just put that in the build or get a new one.

Another item i have in my system is a GEFORCE 9600 GT LOW PROFILE card I'm thinking of getting another and running them in SLI.

My CPU at the moment is a AMD Athlon 64 X2

Here' more info on it http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/desktops/dimen_c521/pd.aspx?refid=dimen_c521&cs=22&s=dfh

I've had this system for sometime now and only lately im finding it hard to play certain games i can play GTA IV but not Just Cause 2 i don't get it. It takes 1 hour plus to convert then 20 maybe 10 minutes to copy it to dvd. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Whats your budget to build a new PC?

The PC you have now is not really worth upgrading, its at its max

You could try harvesting parts from your current PC, e.g. harddrive, cd drive, etc, but quite honestly its best to sell it as a full working unit and put that towards getting a stronger PC.

If you are considering a 965, perhaps you should go with the intel i5 750, only a little more and a better cooler chip

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭nani17

At the moment i have no money :rolleyes: but by July I'll have a lot. As to how much am i willing to spend eh maybe 1000 plus but that's only if it's really needed :D

My old system will go to a family member so the CD drive will go into my new build i forgot to mention i got a new cd drive for it I'll put the old one back in.

The hard dive in it is 160GB i do have two 1tb externals i also have a 24" monitor just not the "power house pc"

Sorry for bumping just wondering should i scrap the graphics card or keep it and get another

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Scrap it I'd say, there's all new technology out now so sticking with older stuff will put you out of date fairly quick. Looking inside the latest PCs these days just about everythings changed. Make sure your on the latest technology at least.

Ok thanks I'll get a new one I'm thinking of the HIS 5770 seems like a pretty good card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

If you are building by July there may be some new tech and prices _may_ have dropped on various items..

Right now for around 750 euros you can get yourself a nice system

Intel i5 750 quad processor
    Compatible motherboard perhaps sli capable
    4 gig ddr3 ram
    1 tb samsung drive
    Nice case and a trustworthy power supply, never to be overlooked, recommend a Corsair PSU

For graphics sooner rather than later you could pickup a 5770.
    Then later on you could pick up another and SLI for very good gaming performance

I can't comment on future tech before it comes out, but for now prices aren't really going down (in fact since last year they've increased on a lot of parts)

Try the PC configurator on hardwareversand.com .. great to mess about with and learn the components

Also, curious about which CPU is faster? go to anandtech.com they have a great CPU benchmarker, great for comparisons

@Jonny7

The 5770 is a ATI card. I'm gussing when AMD drop the phenom X6 i7 prices might drop

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

When nVidia releases a card at a sane price (GTX450 perhaps?) AMD's card prices should also start to come down due to competition.

I'm hearing that card overheats to much and is to loud.

Any ideas guys for a case.

Thanks for the help so far ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

nani17 wrote: »
    I'm hearing that card overheats to much and is to loud.

Any ideas guys for a case.

Thanks for the help so far ;)

Which card was it you heard about, the low noise and low powered 5770 or the new nvidia overpriced and under performing ones which you can fry an egg on and sound like a jet engine lol.

Most of the higher end cases are on par with each other feature wise so it tends to be down the the buyers preference on the look of the case. The Cooler Master range of cases are very good and offer a whole choice of design options matched with some of the best internal designs around.

• Advertisement

Ok here's what I've picked I'm guessing by july some of these item's will be cheaper

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/c_action/prod_assoc/index.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You'll have to post a screen capture of your list; they're held in temporary cookies so no-one else can see what you've put in there. The link is therefore useless :o

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz Black Edition

ASUS Crosshair III Formula

2 HIS HD 5770 - 1 GB

SILVERSTONE Raven 02 PC Tower Case

OCZ Gold Low Voltage 2 x 2 GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800

Advertisement