Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JOBS IN WATERFORD.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

redhanded wrote: »
    You haven't done commission based sales before?

No, only ever sold with my salary and i got a bonus based on sales.

Out of interest how many people have decided on the commission only option when the salary was available? I can't imagine that many people could be that stupid.

setting up employees as a sole trader raises so many alarms for me i wouldn't advise anyone to go near the place. regardless of what the potential earnings are.

redhanded wrote: »
    It's cold calling people at home up selling them electricity. It's not easy and people are told this, people won't find out whether they can do the job until they try, a lot of people can't but some can and do it well while making a good wage

Amazing you should say that, lets say i take this job selling and you set me up as a sole trader and as soon as i get on the phone i crash and burn. i mean i can't even remember the script?

can the company fire me? After all im a sole trader and most importantly if they can what is the story with my social welfare payments? Im no expert but i heard before that you aren't entitled to a penny if you are a sole trader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

I'm close to giving up ! Nowhere will take on University students because they aren't certain of their 'reliability' come next semester even though I drove up and down every week last year and I had friday sat and sun to offer....
    Does anyone know of places that are interested in people just for summer? probably have a better chance there :/
    or if not.. can students get jobseekers benefit or assistance during summer? I know its not exactly for this forum but people on here are obviously are looking also and might have some insight....Student grants dont even cover the cost of accomodation if you're away from home so I desperately need WORK! anything.. PM me!
    please :)

You need to lie about college. I got a job full time(now part tiime because it suits better) I never mentioned im going back to college next year i just said nothing has been decided. When September comes tell your boss your going and they might say look we can work something out and you keep your job, its far easier to retain staff then to get new ones. As far as I know if your in college your cant get jobseekers.If you like me where I did a year course then applied for soical then did another year of a different course and apply again. They will ask for a letter to say your finished your relevant course when applying.

Now heres where it gets interesting. you could as your college for a letter to say you do not intend to return in september. This wont deregister you or anything and will suffice when applying for the social and you can just do your course in September. Dont even ask is that allowed I assume not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Doylers wrote: »
    You need to lie about college. I got a job full time(now part tiime because it suits better) I never mentioned im going back to college next year i just said nothing has been decided. When September comes tell your boss your going and they might say look we can work something out and you keep your job, its far easier to retain staff then to get new ones. As far as I know if your in college your cant get jobseekers.If you like me where I did a year course then applied for soical then did another year of a different course and apply again. They will ask for a letter to say your finished your relevant course when applying.

Now heres where it gets interesting. you could as your college for a letter to say you do not intend to return in september. This wont deregister you or anything and will suffice when applying for the social and you can just do your course in September. Dont even ask is that allowed I assume not.
    I don't think you are allowed give that kind of advice here, would of probably been better of to pm him dude.

deisedave wrote: »
    I don't think you are allowed give that kind of advice here, would of probably been better of to pm him dude.

Probably but now its quoted by you so no point deleting it :D Lets leave it to the mods to sort out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

You can claim JB / JA during the summer months if you're a student and you're seeking a job.
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/operationalguidelines/pages/ja_jobseekall.aspx

Can you quote the site directly? This is what im getting
    JA Disqualification - course of study
    The legislation also provides that a person shall be disqualified from receipt of Jobseeker's Allowance while attending a course of study (including school/college holiday periods), except in such circumstances as may be prescribed. The exceptions to this disqualifications are :

persons aged 21 years or over who have been in receipt of JA/ JB for at least 6 months and who are participating in approved courses of education, training or development (as per above), and
    mature students, i.e. persons over 23 years of age on or before 1st January in the year in which the course of study commences.
    Deciding Officers should note that disqualification while attending a course of study is completely separate from the availability condition. As mature students are exempted from this disqualification, they may be entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance during the summer holiday periods if they satisfy the availability condition in the normal way.

THIRD LEVEL STUDENTS
    (a) Students who have not completed their final year:

Third level students who have not completed their final year at college are disqualified for receipt of JA during the academic term and for the duration of the summer vacation periods. This disqualification also applies to:

Students pursuing Post Leaving Certificate courses of more than one year's duration;
    Irish/ EEA students returning from courses abroad; and
    Non-EEA third level students applying for JA in Ireland.

Its not illegal so its fine to give that kind of advice budd. which is more i actually agree. lie your ass off. You don't owe anybody anything and you have to put yourself first these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Can you quote the site directly? This is what im getting

THIRD LEVEL STUDENTS
    (a) Students who have not completed their final year:

Third level students who have not completed their final year at college are disqualified for receipt of JA during the academic term and for the duration of the summer vacation periods. This disqualification also applies to:

Students pursuing Post Leaving Certificate courses of more than one year's duration;
    Irish/ EEA students returning from courses abroad; and
    Non-EEA third level students applying for JA in Ireland.

That's exactly what I meant. But I was thinking of those over 23..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Sound for all the advice! I think I'll head into citizen info and see what they say cause I'm literally broke at the moment .. I heard that students can get jobseekers BENEFIT? if you've paid enough prsi... so I'll give that a shot :)

• Advertisement

I actually walked into somewhere today and handed my Cv and before I got out the door they'd caught up to me and said they dont take people on who don't live in Waterford all year and I got handed back my CV... tis getting bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Sorry for bieng off topics this morning.. Just wanting to lift the gloom with a bad weather in Waterford this morning.... Here is one....

How do you put 40 Kilkenny men in a mini car ?

Tell em there is a job going in Waterford.....lol

No- thats on topic! You mentioned the word JOB.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Nevemind.

Just checked it out there... thats masons page is a fake! no jobs going

Just checked it out there... thats masons page is a fake! no jobs going

It's strange because I honestly couldn't imagine we were hiring but the page isn't fake. There's two Masons Facebook pages. I've edited my post now.

you work in there is it? Because someone who works there wrote that it was a fake page.. they were saying theyd give people free drink on certain nights and all.. was definitely fake!

you work in there is it? Because someone who works there wrote that it was a fake page.. they were saying theyd give people free drink on certain nights and all.. was definitely fake!
    I dunno maybe it is fake then. The 2 pages do seem to be linked though. To be honest I've never paid much attention to either of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I always knew that I did the work of two people!

The Tower Hotel are now hiring for the position of porter and also hiring for a bar person. Experience in the industry required, not sure of the application arrangements but usually it's just hand into desk stating what you're applying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lynnn_x

If This is Up are still dealing with the recruitment just mail your CV to liz@thisisup.com

Just be prepared for 4 weeks unpaid training if you're successful

Seriously? Unpaid training is a bit of a downer

Is this unpaid training thing new to the scene? In 12 odd years of work i have never so much of heard of it till recently. Seems to me employers are making the most of having new employees over a barrel. if you need the job you'll do anything like.

• Advertisement

AdMMM wrote: »
    I always knew that I did the work of two people!

QUOTE]

Not at all cocky Murphy :L

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

Ive an interview with eishtec, does anybody know what kind of questions they ask or any advice that could particularly help me? such as what to wear or whatever

Eistech - everyone wore fairly formal clothes for the interviews.. start off with standard "why do you want to work for us" "what could you bring" questions... theres a few questions about when did this happen and how did you deal with it..
    It is quite casually carried out luckily enough.
    good luck :)

Eistech - everyone wore fairly formal clothes for the interviews.. start off with standard "why do you want to work for us" "what could you bring" questions... theres a few questions about when did this happen and how did you deal with it..
    It is quite casually carried out luckily enough.
    good luck :)
    sounds alright so! whats fairly formal exactly? shirt n tie?

mr.noobie wrote: »
    sounds alright so! whats fairly formal exactly? shirt n tie?

I always give the same advice in these kind of situations at the very least for an interview wear a shirt & Tie and black pants/cords. Never ever wear jeans.

Look at it this way your better being remembered as the only candidate who turns up in formal gear then the only candidate who didn't.

If you can afford it at all try and buy a suit.Gregory's in town could set you up for less then €100 and Greg is as sound they come he'll be able to sort you out. It could make all the difference and you'll always have it then.

Definitely black pants and shirt.. probably a tie...
    look up a few things about smart phones.. I unfortunately got caught out buy questions about downloading certain apps on certain smart phones.. Presumed that was what the 7 weeks of training were for :/
    Hey does anyone know a good way of well lying in an interview and saying you're not going back to college... can't think of a good way without sounding like a quitter.. but it's the only way I'll get a job unfortunately

Definitely black pants and shirt.. probably a tie...
    look up a few things about smart phones.. I unfortunately got caught out buy questions about downloading certain apps on certain smart phones.. Presumed that was what the 7 weeks of training were for :/
    Hey does anyone know a good way of well lying in an interview and saying you're not going back to college... can't think of a good way without sounding like a quitter.. but it's the only way I'll get a job unfortunately
    ahh ill have no problem there, just the whole dress ethics part lets me down, perhaps just say you cant afford to return to college so its out of the question for the time being?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BoredsUser

Hey guys.
    quick question, which building is Eishtec on the map in the link below
    http://eishtec.com/howtofindus.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭uppishhauk

BoredsUser wrote: »
    Hey guys.
    quick question, which building is Eishtec on the map in the link below
    http://eishtec.com/howtofindus.html

7366327160_91fb0f86f2.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 20.37.35

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭uppishhauk

mr.noobie wrote: »
    what to wear or whatever
    its smart casual, so black/grey pants with a collared shirt, there is no real need for a tie but if you can manage to get one it will give a good impression in the interview

Advertisement