Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tent over the milk market, opinions?

Options
  • 06-04-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

So what are peoples opinions on this thing?

To me it looks crooked!!!

And the fact that it doesn't cover the entire inner space and has a great gaping hole in the top of it makes it look as if someone really didn't think it through properly.

And its only a matter of time before some someone with a paintball gun on the 4th floor of the carpark starts writing his name across it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I wouldn't be gone on the design myself but anything that enhances the city center is a good thing. It should hopefully provide a big boost to the area once it opens properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

jimoc wrote: »
    So what are peoples opinions on this thing?

To me it looks crooked!!!

And the fact that it doesn't cover the entire inner space and has a great gaping hole in the top of it makes it look as if someone really didn't think it through properly.

And its only a matter of time before some someone with a paintball gun on the 4th floor of the carpark starts writing his name across it.

As far as I know it was designed to be crooked - more resistant to the wind.

As for it not covering the entire space - it was designed that way so that it would give some a feeling of being an outside space while still being covered...if that makes any sense. :)

I'll reserve judgment on it until it opens to the public. I would, however, be concerned about how it will hold up to the demands placed on it from the Irish weather. It will need constant cleaning or it'll be a nasty shade of green this time next year!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

pano1%20-%20Copy.jpg
    (Taken from the top of Keeper Hill)

But I hope its maintained and does not get destroyed or it will become an eyesore! I believe it is paint and mold resistant though. It can be powerhosed clean as the material is kind of non stick.

IMGP1252.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Did anyone make it into the new milk market over the weekend?

I'll be back in Limerick this weekend and plan on paying a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

CCSL wrote: »
    pano1%20-%20Copy.jpg
    (Taken from the top of Keeper Hill)

That's some lens if it was taken from Keeper Hill ;), are you sure it's not Gallows Hill or Woodcock Hill?
    Itsdacraic wrote: »

Had a quick look in there yesterday (Sunday). It was a bit quite when I was there only about 6 or 7 stalls, but there was a good atmosphere with a band playing live music. There is a cafe and a couple of other food bars there. There is also a seating area on an upper deck. All in all i was fairly impressed, there is a lot of potential with the place. With a bit of luck it might help improve the city center.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Itsdacraic wrote: »

I was there Saturday lunch-time with the girlfriend. The pair of us were really impressed. Loads of stalls inside and out, great variety of stuff on sale. The weather this weekend was phenomenal as well, which brightened up the whole city.

If a total stranger had wandered into Limerick on Saturday, they'd never have been able to tell there's so much wrong with the place at the moment. It was really that good on Saturday.

Was in there an Sat Morning arounf 9:30 felt like a market in France or somewhere like that. Very nice though I think they did a great job.
    IMGP1926.JPG

IMGP1937.JPG

IMGP2035.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

are you sure it's not Gallows Hill or Woodcock Hill?

Isn't Thomond Park faced wrong if that view was from Keeper Hill?

Isn't the view looking east in that picture?

Suspiciously like the view you'd see from Woodcock Hill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Forgot to add that I was in the market Sat. morning and I was very impressed with the new set-up. Very nice all-round.

tippman1 wrote: »
    Isn't Thomond Park faced wrong if that view was from Keeper Hill?

Isn't the view looking east in that picture?

Suspiciously like the view you'd see from Woodcock Hill!!

Was taken from behind the " Golf Ball " with a 300mm Lens 15 Photos stitched as one and taken with no tripod ( thats why its a bit blurry )

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

CCSL wrote: »
    Was taken from behind the " Golf Ball " with a 300mm Lens 15 Photos stitched as one and taken with no tripod ( thats why its a bit blurry )

:cool:

Impressive

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Canopy looks great, but genuinely seems crooked

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

Canopy looks great, but genuinely seems crooked[/QUOTE

Its supposed to be croocked. See my earlier post.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Was in there this morning for the first time since the revamp. First thing to say is the place was packed at 9.30 so it's obviously popular and growing. The range of items on sale was very impressive and the area with the cafe is a great addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Was there around 11.30 and it was still busy.

Great to have a little bit of bustle around the place.

The market is pretty nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Is it open tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Stab*City wrote: »
    Is it open tomorrow?

yes - http://www.milkmarketlimerick.ie/traders.html

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

Aidric wrote: »
    Was in there this morning for the first time since the revamp. First thing to say is the place was packed at 9.30 so it's obviously popular and growing. The range of items on sale was very impressive and the area with the cafe is a great addition.

Thinke evryuone should go have a look,,,,, very impressive range of items with excellent quality of home made produce....

Think there's a perspex cover over the whole in the top :-)

As previous thread said anything positive for the city is good and will be good for the area with traffic and foot fall making it busier and safer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

i think its a great design, it brings a new venue into the centre of town,

oh and..its designed to be lob sided! because of the wind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ENPZJ6pG1k

Gives a good feel for the new covered section. Personally I think its nice :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Great Video - showcases the whole lot nicely and makes ya want to visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 coisluchra

Milk Market structure looks great, the new milk market should be a great success if the last 2 saturdays are anything to go by. I beleive the mast is deliberately slanted due to the geometry of the courtyard. Will be a great public space for city events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mully1965

I was at Milk Market on saturday and Sunday. I was very impressed. I love the seating area upstairs. I was never a fan of the "old" Saturday morning market. I think I could be a big fan of the new one though!
    Well done to everyone involved!

Advertisement