Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actuary - DCU or UCD

• 06-04-2010 1:29pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I would like to do Actuary after the LC but I'm not sure which is better - DCU or UCD (they both leave you with the same amount of exemptions.)

As I live in Dundalk, DCU would be closer but travelling wouldn't really be an issue if UCD offered the better course.

Which is the better course? I heard that DCU is more maths-based whereas UCD is more business-based, but I'm not sure if this is true or not. Does either course have better work-placement prospects than the other?

Comments

I do maths science In UCD and the actuary guys are in a lot of my classes so I wouldn't say there's more maths in the DCU one.
    I know somebody from Dundalk in UCD who's got work placement in London and he's doing a similar course, but not quite Actuarial Studies... it's Economics and Finance, I think. That's all I can tell you on the subject!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

^^ Actually, the actuarial course in DCU IS more mathsy than the UCD course. The UCD students are bumped in with the business, economics & finance students in a lot of courses whereas the DCU actuarial students would get put into courses with the mathematical science students. These are for the subjects that are not for actuarial exemption purposes.

I did the one in DCU. I would definitely recommend it anyway. Plus DCU is a smaller college which I think is a plus. Also you're a whole lot closer to Dundalk if you go to DCU rather than UCD.

As for work placements, I wouldn't think either would be preferable over the other. Get your exemptions and you're flying. Your work placement is in year 3 so I would advise you do well in 1st and 2nd year so that you'll have a better chance of getting offered a work placement.

Also, DCU had the actuarial course first by the way, if that's of any interest to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I'm doing it in UCD and a big plus is that UCD can offer you 8 exemptions, the only university in UK & Ireland to do that - this has only come in this year, first years now (me) are the first year to be able to get them. Its done that if your average for the first 7 CT exemptions is high enough they will also award you CA1.

I'm probably biased, but I love UCD and would recommend it to anyone.

Will you commute or stay in dublin?

the Bus eireann 100x bus goes from leeson street (5 mins from UCD by bus) straight to fundalk via the port tunnel so that would be handy for travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Shots

Im pretty sure the exemptions are the same in both colleges, however I think that your experiences in the colleges would be quite different. Im in DCU and I love it. The people are great, classes in general are smaller and the lecturers know you and are always on hand to help. They are always very accomodating and friendly. Lots of people from Dundalk here so you wont be on your own.

Also if you havnt already done so i recommend applying for the oncampus accomodation here asap. You dont have to pay any deposits or anything until you get your course, but it will stand to you in first year to be living with other first years (also there is a preferance for people who get over 500 points).

Good Luck with the exams!

No, I'm pretty sure UCD give you 8 and in September they were the only university in the UK & Ireland to do so...I'm doing the course :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

misslt wrote: »
    No, I'm pretty sure UCD give you 8 and in September they were the only university in the UK & Ireland to do so...I'm doing the course :)

nope you can get all 8 in DCU, but you get CA1 in ucd which you can't in DCU, like you said your in UCD - not the smartest when it comes to providing the facts:rolleyes:

And which one do you get in DCU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

misslt wrote: »
    And which one do you get in DCU?

you can get CT1-8 in DCU - in UCD you get CT1-8 + you can get CA1 (from 2009 onwards)

Oh okay - so you do get one more in UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Howdy

Em well this question is semi-related to actuary but I thought I'd throw it in here rather than making a new thread.

I'm doing my LC atm and was hoping for med next year but the chances of that seem to be gone. So, now I have to think about alternatives. I'm really interested in maths so I'm doing a far bit of research now on all the mathsy degrees available.

My question basically is this: for someone who likes maths but doesn't really know what part specifically, would actuary be a good choice? My reasoning behind actuary is basically that if I decide not to go back for postgrad med, having all those exemptions would be one step closer to getting a job.

There's a few courses I have generally in mind and any opinions ye have of them would be great. Like how useful it is for getting a job, how much exposure you get to different aspects of maths, which prepares you best for a mathematically orientated career. Our guidance counselor told us to try to do a course that sets you on the way to a profession, so that if when you're finished college you have a the training for a certain job.

Other courses I'm thinking of are TP, Maths Science, Maths and Economics and Economics and Finance, however none of these degrees seem to focus on a specific career, something my guidance counselor isn't too fond of.

Btw, for my LC I have maths, physics and app maths but no business subjects at all.

Any opinions would be sound.

Cheers

• Advertisement

TBH I would probably recommend Math Science unless you're completely sure you want to do Actuary.

This year (first year) the maths science and actuary groups had a lot of the same lectures, apart from Economics and Computer Programming, which you really don't want to do anyway :pac:

In UCD, in 5th year of Math Science you can specify what you want to study so if you are interested in Actuary by then you can choose that - yes it will leave you with no exemptions, but you have a broader degree.

Having said that, Actuary is great and I love it, do a bit more reading up on it and see if you really want to do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mustangj

I'm fairly interested in that economics and finance course at ucd. However, do you have to be an absolute animal at maths to be decent at it? I'm fairly handy at the aul' maths(usually a or high b at HL + Applied + physics) but am not a genuis, nomatter how much my friends insist that i am!:) I'm interested in investment banking, would this be a good course, or is it not fancy enough (do ya need oxford,etc)? Would you get into big banks like morgan stanley, goldman, etc. or need to go to the big english uni's for them? Anyways, do ya really need to be a maths genuis or would a mere mortal like myself be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

mustangj wrote: »
    I'm interested in investment banking, would this be a good course, or is it not fancy enough (do ya need oxford,etc)? Would you get into big banks like morgan stanley, goldman, etc. or need to go to the big english uni's for them? Anyways, do ya really need to be a maths genuis or would a mere mortal like myself be ok?

To be in with a good chance of getting into one of those banks, you would need an Economics degree from a top uk university. I heard that the best one in Ireland for it is TCD Economics, but even this is miles behind the likes of LSE or Oxbridge. You should apply through UCAS if you're interested, its doable:)

To get into investment banking at one of those, I heard that maths ability comes second behind the prestige of the degree. It has been said that a Geography degree from Oxford would beat a Maths/Economics degree from Nottingham, Manchester, etc.:rolleyes:

They must feel it says something about the individual:confused:

Advertisement