Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Game of the Year??

Options
  • 06-04-2010 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Alpha Protocol

Thought I'd stir up some anticipation for this.

I remembered hearing about this a long time ago. It has come to my attention again. Its an Action RPG and looks like its going to be one hell of a game. Its from the makers of Star Wars KOTOR II and the people who are working on Fallout New Vegas.

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lox7IGllexU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Protocol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I say there's a good few games that could possible be in for Game of The Year, IF they follow through with what they promise. I've been following Alpha Protocol for a while and am fairly excited about it, but just hope it's as good as is claimed.

The likes of Red Dead Redemption and Alan Wake would also be ones I'd keep an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I had high hopes for Alpha Protocol, but the more I see of this game, the worse I think its going to be.

All the main characters look to be gross stereotypes and it doesn't seem to take itself very seriously, for example, one of the Russian faction leaders is a female wearing skimpy gear, underwear half showing and holding a light machine gun in one hand, and has a pair of nice red shades. She looks more like a character from street fighter.

Hope I'm wrong though, and this game turns out to be class.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I agree with CKWPORT

I was looking forward to it from reviews and articles, but then seen some early gameplay footage and the things it tried to implement, looked awful

And the main character seemed totally generic and bland

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im not sure which part of this title is meant to be the Hook? Its careful in its loophole: Modern Day Spy RPG. Its the Metal Gear of today's today. Hurray.

Its marketing itself as something "Phresh" when its really just like so many other projects, a couple of pulled together elements of other successful games, as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Mass Effect 2 is the GOTY to beat so far and this seems quite derivative of it. Alan Wake is a possible contender and I'm sure some of the stuff to be announced at E3 (possible new GTA etc) will be in with a shout too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sean corcoran

i think that bad company 2 will be game of the year. think of it modern warefare was THE online game but now bc2 took over. i cant think of a better game to win GOTY

Mass Effect 2 is the GOTY to beat so far and this seems quite derivative of it. Alan Wake is a possible contender and I'm sure some of the stuff to be announced at E3 (possible new GTA etc) will be in with a shout too

Agreed. On Mass Effect 2 that is.

I think Alan Wake could end up being like Alone in the Dark, its been in development hell, suffered delay after delay, looks class, but could be utter sh1te when we get our hands on it. I hope I am wrong tho, I got burnt bad by Alone in the Dark though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

+1 for the trepidation. At first the idea of an espionage RPG of the Mass Effect set in the "real" world filled me with interest. But like other posters here, the more I have seen of the game in action, the more it looks like nonsense to be honest.

The gameplay seems quite crude and console oriented, certainly nothing special: I always roll my eyes when giddy narrators try and pass off silenced pistols as "stealth mechanics". Alpha Protocol is no exception. Silent take-downs and pistols on a linear path isn't stealth damnit. Jesus. More devs need to play Thief, copy that & then come back to me saying I have the choice to play things stealthy. I could yet be wrong but if this game doesn't let me avoid hostile contact, sneak in and escape without firing a shot, then they can feck off calling it "stealth" ;)

The acting and characters seem very poor & again as others have said, the German gun wielding bimbo just embarrasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yeah on paper a spy RPG would be class but from what ive seen of alpha protocol, its looks to be abit of a spoof and worse still an unintended spoof.
    The visuals looks abit dated, the main character in particular isnt a patch on Mass Effect's Sheppard.
    From the panting babble of the various devs, it seems to make use of larger than life bosses which reminded me of metal gear solid. Seems it could be a sort of MGS RPG with all the zany japanese stuff removed and lots of OTT american hoopla added in.

Cant see this being anymore than an all out actioner with some rpg elements tacked on for effect. Whenever I see videos where devs are shouting "Awesome" and "players will be blown away by our game..........dude" - I get alittle suspicious. I generally find softly spoken eastern europeans with a marked reluctance to tell us anything about their project, as a safer bet of a quality game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

I work in Xtra-Vision and we play those stupidly bad propaganda advertising dvd's which promote the new releases and upcoming games all the time. There is a trailer for Alpha Protocol on it and the more I see, the more I cringe from it's bland and cheesey dialogue. Furthermore, it looks awful in terms of graphics and style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Has anyone seen May's titles? Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption, Lost Planet 2, Split/Second, UFC 2010, Skate 3, Prince of Persia - even if it gets amazing reviews (it won't) it'll sink like a stone

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

"It's just like... Blam-blam-blam! Make people go holy ****, that was awesome!" :rolleyes:
    "This really deep-throaty slow milky kind of...voice direction that might make people tight in their jeans." :D
    "Everybody talks about story in games, but I'd say we really hit it. I'd say we donkey punched it." - the story is ****ed?
    "Who didn't want to go to a museum and blow stuff up?" - people over the age of 12?

Taken from:

Developer diaries are supposed to make you want to play the game. These developers just sound idiotic or at least they think their audience is. Show, don't tell. The game should be doing the talking. Also their "favourite" gadget is the noisemaker. From, what, Splinter Cell 1? Metal Gear Solid's knock on the wall? Noisemakers are seriously old hat. :pac:

I don't think this thread is turning out like the OP planned.

No anticipation here, which is unfortunate cause on paper this sounds like the perfect game, but from what we have seen of the execution so far, its gonna be in the bargain basket within a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Bazza085

I followed Alpha for a while now and I will be buying it, but it will need to be one hell of a game to beat God of War. Man I love that game.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/alpha-protocol/achievements/

Achievement list if anyone is interested.

PS3 trophies will probably be the exact same. Usually are aren't they?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Masseffect 2 is the game of the yr for me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I'm going in to buy a game tomorrow and could anyone tell me if it is worth it to buy Mass Effect 2 even though I have never played the original?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Valmont wrote: »
    I'm going in to buy a game tomorrow and could anyone tell me if it is worth it to buy Mass Effect 2 even though I have never played the original?
    Buy the first masseffect before you buy the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

What im reading and seeing...Red Dead Redemption looks like a serious candidate for game of the year if it lives up to whats promised!

Advertisement