Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

semidry recommendations

• 06-04-2010 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm about to start buying my own dive gear, instead of renting from the dive club.
    The first thing I want to get is a semi-dry suit. So I'm looking for some recommendations.
    I'll mostly be diving around Dublin bay and (this is from reading some of the threads) I'm not looking for a dry suit. I've only done about 10 dives in total and while I've heard about this money thing, and certainly want to get some, I haven't got any:D so I'm looking at cheaper suits. I'm just looking to see if anyone has any experience with the 2 suites below, which are on first4scuba

Has anyone used a Proteus Mens 7mm or an Iceland Comfort 7mm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Can't go wrong with (i) Scuba pro Scotia or (ii) Mares Isotherm ( personally I prefer the Isotherm)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

murrayp4 wrote: »
    Can't go wrong with (i) Scuba pro Scotia or (ii) Mares Isotherm ( personally I prefer the Isotherm)

Any idea where I could pick one up? and how much?
    I've been looking on scubastore.com. They have only got a womans xl size

But they also have a scubapro profile 7mm mono, any opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I got an Oceanic Shadow Titanium two piece semi-dry about three years ago and have used it regularly, showered it at home after every use and it's still as good as new. So I'd highly recommend the oceanic suits.

And if you're looking for a second hand bargain, keep an eye here: http://divegear.ie/index.php?category=For+Sale&sub_category=Wet+Suits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

OP - gonna PM a link to you which I think might be what you are looking for.

have just finished my PADI (last friday) ...so I'm just starting out on my scuba life !!

(dont have any of my own gear yet - was considering the stuff I'm linking to the OP he/she might be in a better position financially to purchase it.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

No harm to check with different PADI dive centres, they often sell off their old-season's gear for new stock.

If you don't ask...

Seadeuce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

ok, next question :-)
    What's the diff between a single piece and a 2/3 piece semi-dry. I thought that a semi was always one piece?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

ok, next question :-)
    What's the diff between a single piece and a 2/3 piece semi-dry. I thought that a semi was always one piece?:confused:

A Good semi dry only needs to be a one piece!

The major difference will be the more neoprene, the warmer (Generally).

But tbh, a lot of divers refer to steamers as semi drys, when in fact they are not.

IMO the best I have used has been the Scubapro Scotia. Its 6.5mm, nice tight neck and wrist seals and a light weight dryzip stops any water coming in the zip.

One pieces IMO are a better option. You will require less weight to offset the buoyancy of the suit. You have less restriction of movement and the Scotia is as warm if not warmer than most of the 2 piece steamers on the market.

Although in the last couple of years Scubapro went and changed the design of the suit to a absolutely rancid red looking thing for the lads and mackeral blue & grey for the gals........ Its cat. For a great suit, I certainly wouldn't wear it now because of the colour of it!

As for the Proteus. A fellow instructor bought one and after six dives the seams were starting to go....... He sent it back got another and had problems with that one too...... hey just gave up on them after that.

The O'Neill J-type I think looks like a cracking suit. I do a good bit of surfing and have to say the O'neill suits are by far the best on the market with regards to warmth, comfort, design and style. Plus I think they were relaunching there diving range in UK/Ireland recently so a lot of their dive suits are/ were extremely keenly priced. Might be worth a look at checking them out.

I know Ocean divers in Dun Laoirghe were stocking them and also Oceanlife in Kilkee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ofarrelld

I dived in a northern diver delta flex for two years. Great suit worth looking at, lot of divers in my club have them and haven't heard any complaints other than its not a dry suit.... Tried on the scuba pro nova scotia and didn't like the fit, I've seen other people who have to wear a thin suit under them because it fills up with too much water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

ofarrelld wrote: »
    Tried on the scuba pro nova scotia and didn't like the fit, I've seen other people who have to wear a thin suit under them because it fills up with too much water.

Sounds to me like the suit ain't fitting correctly......... Nova Scotias on sale in Kilkee. Buddy got one for 230 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Has anyone used a Proteus Mens 7mm or an Iceland Comfort 7mm?

Proteus is a great suit. fiddly to get into at the start. Call first4scuba. you will be guaranteed a good deal. I have a forth element thermocline under vest and its great too, even for the cold evening walk.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

the aqualung iceland is one of the better semi drys with dry zip. check out http://diveshop.first4scuba.com/shop2010/exposure-suits/semi-dry-suits/cat_68.html i always deal with em and always do a good price on everything. ill second the thermocline its the business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

Apologies if I shouldn't be posting in a thread this old.

I'm looking for some up to date information about what kind of semi dry suit I should buy and also where I should buy it. It's my first time buying a wetsuit and I'm hoping to use it for freediving around ireland.

Here's the info I've found so far:
    • first4scuba was good but is now gone
    • flagship scuba are selling a northern diver delta flex semi tech for €199 (which I can't find many reviews of online)
    • Scubastore seem to be selling Scubapro Nova Scotia suits for approx $300 but I am waiting for confirmation that they can ship this to europe (I know they are restricted from selling scubapro equipment to US customers)
    • I'm keeping an eye on divegear.ie
    • I've been told there's some nice semi dry's around with drysuit zips that are meant to be very comfortable. The Aqualung Iceland has one but it's expensive on scubastore.com (about $530)

The "useful links" thread is fairly out of date so can anyone recommend some good places to buy gear?

Also, if you think I'm crazy for going semi dry for Irish diving and think I should go straight for a drysuit let me know and tell me why.

Appreciate any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I have an older version of the northern diver delta flex, some mates have the one advertised in flagship and none of us have had any problems with the suits.
    Its a good suit in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

nathan184 wrote: »
    Apologies if I shouldn't be posting in a thread this old.

I'm looking for some up to date information about what kind of semi dry suit I should buy and also where I should buy it. It's my first time buying a wetsuit and I'm hoping to use it for freediving around ireland.

Here's the info I've found so far:
    • first4scuba was good but is now gone
    • flagship scuba are selling a northern diver delta flex semi tech for €199 (which I can't find many reviews of online)
    • Scubastore seem to be selling Scubapro Nova Scotia suits for approx $300 but I am waiting for confirmation that they can ship this to europe (I know they are restricted from selling scubapro equipment to US customers)
    • I'm keeping an eye on divegear.ie
    • I've been told there's some nice semi dry's around with drysuit zips that are meant to be very comfortable. The Aqualung Iceland has one but it's expensive on scubastore.com (about $530)

The "useful links" thread is fairly out of date so can anyone recommend some good places to buy gear?

Also, if you think I'm crazy for going semi dry for Irish diving and think I should go straight for a drysuit let me know and tell me why.

Appreciate any help.

The hardest part for me was just trying to find one that fits properly. I would go to shop that can expertly advise you to make sure it fits correctly. Depends on how cold you normally get. I tried on a few that I thought were tight enough, but was told to go even tighter. I had no skin on my fingers anymore from trying them on.

I'm normally freezing but yet to make the jump to a dry suit, so semi-dry if it fits properly can be comfortable enough. I have an Aqualung myself, but I also started using a rash vest & if I'm doing more than one dive a day I'll have an extra vest plus little shorties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

Thanks for the help. Good to hear that the northern diver one should be alright. Might try some of the local surf shops (based in Limerick atm) to see what they have also.

Advertisement