Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fed up "stuck in the rut" thread for dundalk

Options
  • 06-04-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭

hi all,

heres my idea-
    how about a thread for anyone who is currently feeling like they are stuck in a bit of a rut for whatever reasons, and are desperate to get the hell out of it! there are many ways to do this, join clubs, gyms, meet up with boardsie folks etc. the list is endless.

me personally, im 5months out of a long term relationship. im mid 20's guy, mature student at the DKIT, to get out of the rut i felt id slipped into, i did the usual, joined a gym, tried to spend more time with friends etc.
    im not originally from dundalk, so widening social circles has been a bit hard for me personally. i havent had to courage to join a club yet, although i wouldnt mind giving karate a go, i tried it years ago and it was fun. i havent gotten round to looking up clubs in the area as yet, but hopefully all thats going to change in the near future.

so wimmins and gents, i call on the people of dundalk and the surrounding hinterlands to come forth
    1) explain your rut situation
    2) put forward a club you have thought about joining/have already joined
    3) put forward any other thought/ideas on what you would like to do on these long evenings that you feel will help to get you out of the rut you feel you are in.
    4) and we might even make a few friends along the way!

IDEAS SO FAR:

1) Navvy Bank for a bit of nature watching and fresh air. Ice House Hill and St Helena Parks in town, the entire Dundalk Bay for coastline, around Blackrock
    2) The Spirit Store if you like your music.
    3) Dundalk Kayak Club
    4) Prayer and Meditation in your own time or in your local parish

ladies and gents..the floor is open.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

:(:(I know the intention is good but this sounds so depressing.:(:(

I'll just head down the Navvy Bank for a bit of nature watching and fresh air. That, or heading to the fields around the town, usually does it for me.

Be Happy! It's a great life. The weather is to improve. The lights are still on. There's still some food left in the cupboard. The birds are singing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

the intention is to get those motivation vessels pumping once again!

any particular places you like to go to for those walks?
    ive no idea of wheres a good place to go for a nature stroll round dundalk,
    to be honest, i dont even know if there is a park that the public can visit! well, i know of that park beside rockfield, and it leads to the back of a boxing club or something.
    theres a few tennis courts and a play area for the kideens, but not much to see for strolling purposes really. anything better out there in dundalk land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

Probably not what you were getting at but The Spirit Store is a great music venue if you like your music. It also very much has it's own scene or clique - which might be a good or bad thing.

If you are into your music and haven't made a point of going to the place I would highly recommend it. Nice just as a pub anyway.

all ideas welcome!
    ive heard of the spirit store alright, apparently a fairly daycent Rage Against the Machine tribute band appear there every so often. but as has been the case, i dont know anyone who would be interested in going for a gawk, and im not confident enough to go visit it by myself (dont want to be that guy at the bar thats sitting staring at a pint for the night!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

papagormo wrote: »
    ... im not confident enough to go visit it by myself (dont want to be that guy at the bar thats sitting staring at a pint for the night!)

If that's your concern, believe me, it's probably the least likely pub in town for you to be left staring into your pint. You can if you want of course, but there will be no shortage of bull****ters, genuine chatters, heads/whatever. The bar staff and half the clientele are either greenie veggies, in bands, or both.

In fact, just ask one of the barmen about RATM and he'll probably be a fan :)

• Advertisement

sounds like it could be worth a look some night so, i might tipple on down over the weekend, im planning on staying around this weekend to catch up on college work..(heh hemm!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

papagormo wrote: »
    the intention is to get those motivation vessels pumping once again!

any particular places you like to go to for those walks?
    ive no idea of wheres a good place to go for a nature stroll round dundalk,
    to be honest, i dont even know if there is a park that the public can visit! well, i know of that park beside rockfield, and it leads to the back of a boxing club or something.
    theres a few tennis courts and a play area for the kideens, but not much to see for strolling purposes really. anything better out there in dundalk land?

You obviously don't know the town at all ;).
    There are Ice House Hill and St Helena Parks to start with in the town and a whole countryside out most roads from town. Theres the entire Dundalk Bay for coastline. Come on, it's not hard to find places for a nature walk outside most towns in Ireland!

I'm still not sure what this thread is looking for. :confused:

its true, i havent ventured towards the coast once since iv arrived.
    id better get on to that!
    this thread is aimed at venting any rut you may feel you are in,
    venting any clubs you know of that you have thought about joining but never get around to for one reason or another
    getting ideas/discuss/questions and answers from one another for things to do/have a go at etc.

look at me for instance, before this thread i never even thought of taking a stroll by the coast or off down a country road, i have heard of the spirit store but was afraid to venture alone for fear of sitting there on me own, and i have since been reassured that wont be the case if i were to make an effort.

if we can get a nice regular pool of people on here discussing what steps they have taken each day, give one another encouragement and advice on the differnet things they have done etc, it can be very motivating and encouraging, and sometimes its good to just write down what you did and share the expericence.

keep the ideas and suggestions flowing, then get the motivation to go do whatever it is thats taking your fancy, and the climb out of the rut begins!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Hi OP. I like the idea of your thread. I was in a simular situation to yourself not so long ago and could have done with it then.

Dundalk Kayak Club are starting their "Fair Weather" sessions midweek soon. They have all the gear and all the boats and all you need is something to keep you warm and an old pair of runners.

My signature has the contact information on it for anybody that is interested. The timetable for the summer should be up in the next few days or so and they run one day midweek (sometimes more as you get a bit of experience) and a trip every Sunday.Click here for more information or join Dundalk Kayak Club on Facebook... :)

excellent thanks for the info, ill start posting all the ideas into the 1st post to make things easier for everyone.
    tried kayaking once before, loved it! its great craic and defo something id be interested in having another go at!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

For me, my rut at the moment is not having a job, but I'm currently in the process of opening up my own business, so I've something to look forward to.

The only one who can cure me and get me out of a bad rut is Jesus Christ, so I usually walk to midweek mass sometimes or drive to it, pray the rosary, and I also attend meditation every now and again in my local parish and that really does help me a lot, so if your a practising Catholic you might wanna consider that one. I'd be the opposite to thinking one needs constant human contact for his happiness, theres nothing I like more than my Irish Catholic newspaper, Pint of Guinness and to sit alone for a few hours in thought.

I've tryed considering other things such as taking up hill walking, wall climbing and kayaking, ( the things I used to do when living in scotland) all which require money and petrol to burn to get to it or even enjoy it.

So I've put that in the backseat for now until I have the money in the future to enjoy it. But a good walk around the St.Helena and Ice house hill ( Before Dark :eek: ) is a good suggestion. Blackrock is another good location also.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Advertisement