Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weeds between House & footpath

Options
  • 06-04-2010 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hello All,
    I'm not a gardener at all - we haven't even one square foot of grass! My problem is we live in centre of a town and lately there are a lot of weed growing in the space between the footpath and the wall of the house. What is my best way of dealing with this problem? Should i pull out as much as i can of the weeds and pour or spray some weed killer or what? And what spray should i buy? Sorry for such a silly question but i haven't a clue!!!! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Leave the weeds in place as you'll need leaf surface to translocate the weedkiller to the root. This ensures the weed is totally killed off.

You could use 'Round Up' or any other brand name weed killer. Read the instructions and follow them to the letter with regards to when to apply, how much and when to re-treat.

Your local hardware store or the likes of your local Co-op, Woodies, B and Q etc. will have a section for weedkillers in the garden department. You should be able to get a small size spray bottle (similar to the ones window cleaner comes in).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Some weedkillers you just spray on the weeds and it kills the foliage. This is fine for annual weeds.

Systemic weedkillers are absorbed by the foliage and the weedkiller goes to the roots and kills off the plant completely. This is good for things like brambles and perenial weeks such as dandelions, scutch, bindweed etc, and would be suitable for your situation. Normally you have to be very careful to only apply it to the weeds and not get any on plants, but since you don't have plants you can just spray it. Ask for a systemic weedkiller, though they are usually clearly marked.

It does not appear to work immediately, in fact the weeds might look quite perky but give it time and they will die completely. It might be a good idea to put some sort of filler in the gap when you have cleared the weeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

If its a small area like the perimeter of the house and no risk of contaminationg any soil you could try something like "pathclear" or similar, it will kill what is growing, any seeds you can't see and pretty much neutralise the ground for 12 months..
    Roundup on the other hand will kill anything that has green growth at the moment. Any dormant seeds in the ground will sprout in 6-8 weeks and more weeds appear..

They all have their use but you may as well get 12 months clear...

Advertisement