Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4 cylinder diesel twin turbos

• 06-04-2010 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Anyone know much about the new engines that are in the BMW & MERCs.
    Are they reliable?
    They have2 turbos 1 for low revs and the other kicks in at higher revs. They're around 200 bhp and are still fairly efficient.

123d - BMW
    C250 - in C Class

The MERCs suffer from injector failure.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

i think the 123d engine won engine of the year not so long ago..

although i am a bit biased

id say its one of the best engines in the world.100bhp per liter form a diesal is a remarkable achievement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Older Bmw Turbo Diesels had turbo issues.

This was most likely due to the length between services and the fact that turbo bearings are sensitive to bad oil. (This is true of any turbo motor though)

*In my own opinion* If the service intervals remain the same id expect BMWs to continue this trend.

what do you consider an older BMW turbo diesel engine?

as in an e34?

cos the op is talking about a very new turbo diesel engine with variable vane turbos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N47

2 bar of boost...wow:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

bmw535d wrote: »
    what do you consider an older BMW turbo diesel engine?

as in an e34?

cos the op is talking about a very new turbo diesel engine with variable vane turbos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N47

2 bar of boost...wow:eek:

Look up Swirl Flap failure... :P

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Look up Swirl Flap failure... :P

which hasn't affected bmw engines since 2005 when they updated the swirl flaps?:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

i think the 123d engine won engine of the year not so long ago..

although i am a bit biased

id say its one of the best engines in the world.100bhp per liter form a diesal is a remarkable achievement

Fiats Regatta won car of the year once! any award "of the year" is worth diddly squat.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭westlander

They sound like tempting engines to purchase but if i was buying one I'd like to hold onto it for a long time (as I normally do when I have a car).

But with 2 turbos there might be a greater chance of turbo failure?

westlander wrote: »
    They sound like tempting engines to purchase but if i was buying one I'd like to hold onto it for a long time (as I normally do when I have a car).

But with 2 turbos there might be a greater chance of turbo failure?

or maybe less as there is less strain on the two rather than having one do all the work.

turbo failure only really affected some e46 320d's,most of the time it was people running to the shop in a hurry and shutting the engine of even before the car has stopped,as with any turbo car your supposed to let the turbo cool of and slow down before turning the engine of cutting of the oil feed to the bearing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Turbo'd engines nowadays are ultra reliable, a manufacturer just couldn't afford to have negative opinions of their vehicles. You'd really need to be giving a modern TD serious abuse for it to fail, I know a guy who drove a Passat 1.9TDi for 150,000 miles and only had it serviced twice in that entire time and the turbo didn't fail and the thing was still running sweetly when he traded it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Turbo'd engines nowadays are ultra reliable
    1.9TDi

The VAG 1.9TDI is not a modern turbo engine. That's why it's ultra reliable. BMW 2L modern turbodiesels are currently failing at an impressive rate, especially on the 2005-2007 3 Series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

a colleague of mine in uk just started a 4yr lease on a 123d. So far no problems but its early days yet. He'll be clocking up the miles and giving it a good rev'ing on a daily basis, so if he cant break it, nobody can

Confab wrote: »
    The VAG 1.9TDI is not a modern turbo engine. That's why it's ultra reliable. BMW 2L modern turbodiesels are currently failing at an impressive rate, especially on the 2005-2007 3 Series.

bull**** not hard to figure out what you drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

bull**** not hard to figure out what you drive

Must... not... feed... the... troll :D

I don't drive a VAG TDI if that's what you're implying. It's common knowledge that 2L BMW diesel turbos are failing frequently now.

Advertisement