Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography - Outdated Information?

Options
  • 06-04-2010 2:40pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My book was written in 2007, and therefore some of the information is a bit outdated, especially in the region section.

What I mean by outdated is that it doesn't take into account the recession (not the books fault, as it wasn't really an issue in 2007). As a result, some of the information is contradictory to today's situation, such as the Poland case study where it mentions that Ireland has a lot of jobs available and needs immigrant workers to fill these positions. (There are more examples, such as % unemployment rates that are no longer correct).

Can I still write these things in my LC? Or would I be expected to look up the correct statistics online and use these instead?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Well the current Geography curriculum was published in 2004 and first tested in 2006, so they cannot change it after four years. I think that the department would ignore the current economic troubles and follow what the marking scheme says. They will not award you extra marks for current affairs. I think they actually take away marks for that. So I think that the best option would be just to ignore whatever is going in at the moment and just focus on what is written in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Ruski wrote: »
    They will not award you extra marks for current affairs. I think they actually take away marks for that. So I think that the best option would be just to ignore whatever is going in at the moment and just focus on what is written in the book.

Really?

I don't know if I would fully agree with that. That makes it sound like both student and examiner are stupid, you cannot ignore something like the recession.

Timbuk2, talk to your teacher, because I don't think simply regurgitating incorrect information is the way to pass an exam. I don't think that you should completley update everything, but it is incorrect to say that Ireland is prosperous and attracting lots of MNC's etc, when it's not anymore. That is wrong. It'd be like saying that earthquakes rarely occur in the Carribbean after what's happened in Haiti.

Talk to your teacher, because I think an accurate answer requires a bit of common sense and not just memorising what's in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

My teacher told us a while back that there was going to be some sort of conference between geography teachers and the chief examiner to discuss this, I never actually heard the out come of it, I must ask her...
    I don't think they'd expect students to have completely up to date information regarding the recession, not when everyone's been learning different information for the past two years. They'd have to give some leeway. But it would be stupid to ignore the recession and act like we're still in the middle of an economic boom. So just to play it safe I'm going to refer to all the no longer correct information in past tense, state the years that certain statistics were recorded in, and add in things like 'such a plan has been put on hold due to the recession'.

Advertisement