Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its no wonder we are in the gutter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

aDeener wrote: »
    with retarded people who vote like this on polls

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dev-out-but-gately-joins-the-top-10-irish-greats-2126325.html

i know there is another thread greatest irish person, but i think this top 10 lunacy deserves a thread of its own

Don't be insulting retards now... :P :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Who would you prefer OP? Bear in mind Adam Clayton and Mr.Edge cannot be included because they're Brits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Bono is number 1?

Everyone hates Bono, who the hell is voting for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I hope he comes in first.

Will stop them from putting people on these lists that have no business being there.

They should have realised at this stage that teenage girls vote quite a bit of stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

phasers wrote: »
    Bono is number 1?

Everyone hates Bono, who the hell is voting for him?

They're in alphabetical order.

• Advertisement

MaybeLogic wrote: »

"Bono" should be #5 then.

A comes before B though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Bono is number 1?

Because its in alphabetical order at the moment. Im surprised he didnt change his name to Aaono just to be sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ryan Tubridy didn't make the top 10?!

Recount

A comes before B though

The education system certainly wasn't wasted on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Valera should never have been on the greatest list in first place. Collins for #1.

The education system certainly wasn't wasted on you.
    Taxpayers' money at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

bono, lynott, roche and certainly gately do not deserve to be anywhere near there. robinson is iffy too.

there is no way in hell they are more worthy than:
    wolfe tone, countess markievicz, sean lemass, robert emmett, charles stewart parnell - do you want me to go on? i could list hundreds more worthy. DeV for all his faults would be far more appropriate

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    I hope he comes in first.

Will stop them from putting people on these lists that have no business being there.

They should have realised at this stage that teenage girls vote quite a bit of stuff...

but teenage girls would hardly have much of an interest in gately would they?

biko wrote: »
    Valera should never have been on the greatest list in first place. Collins for #1.

But for him to be beaten by a lad who sang in a boy band?

Whatever you have to say about him, he played a massive part in this country's history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

bonerm wrote: »
    "Bono" should be #5 then.

but Bono is number 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

what an odd, queer if you will, outcome :p

biko wrote: »
    Collins for #1.

How Phil didn't make the short-list, I'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

It depends when the poll was taken, obvisiouly around the time he died.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nehpets10

Keith Duffy should be on the list. I mean in won Irish person of the year before. He should definitely be in the run for this. I mean, have you seen him in Corrie? Talent!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Stephen Gately in the top 10? Pathetic poll.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Stephen Gately in the top 10? Pathetic poll.

stephen gately in the top 1000 would still make it a pathetic poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

stephen gately in the top 1000 would still make it a pathetic poll

No matter what they call us

However they attack

Huh huh...

but Bono is number 2

He sure is. All 80 Courics of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Can't believe Bono is number one but to be saying the truth musicians have a much more lasting effect on a greater number of people.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Stephen Gately in the top 10?

Take away the "?" and you've got the lead story from the 2008 Mr. Gay UK pagent .

The fact that he wasn't even the lead singer in the boy band just makes it even worse...

The amount of people in our history that could have been on that list...but no...some chap from a terrible boy band is one of Ireland's ten greatest.

I hear Brendan Kilkenny came in at number 11.

I hear Brendan Kilkenny came in a number 11.

I'm shocked. I never suspected him of that kind of thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

bono, lynott, roche and certainly gately do not deserve to be anywhere near there. robinson is iffy too.

there is no way in hell they are more worthy than:
    wolfe tone, countess markievicz, sean lemass, robert emmett, charles stewart parnell - do you want me to go on? i could list hundreds more worthy. DeV for all his faults would be far more appropriate

I dont disagree with your list necessarily but i think Ireland has so many important people that theres even loads that should have been on there that weren't rebels or involved in our emancipation.

Besides rebels and writers we still have **** loads of important people throughout the ages and instead we have this travesty, what must people think of us if this is what the Irish people have voted as the most important people our country has ever produced?!

• Advertisement

dr gonzo wrote: »
    ...this is what the Irish people have voted as the most important people our country has ever produced?!

No, this is what the Irish people who participate in these kinds of 'votes' voted as the most important people our country has ever produced...

You know. Sh/tkickers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No sportsmen are included and it features just two women...

Former president Mary Robinson and Chernobyl campaigner Adi Roche made the top 10 from only three women on the original list of 40 selected ....

so wait what... 2 women made the top 10... while there was only a selection of 3 amongst a total of 40 people to choose from...

why are they shocked?

also...
    EAMON de Valera, one of the dominant figures in the political history of the State, has failed to make the final 10 of a poll to find the greatest Irish person.

Instead voters in the RTE poll put the late Boyzone singer Stephen Gately on the list alongside Michael Collins, James Connolly and pioneering health minister Noel Browne.

Some people may just blast Stephen off as some prancy popstar young fella along with the rest of the lads in Boyzone... but sure, he was also an Irish bloke that came out about being gay... while alot of us were probably assuming he was... takes alot to come out with confidence in Ireland the way everything was wrapped by Catholicism. I'm sure there's a big commuinity of people out there who appreciate that and are able to really relate to it.

Although OP I don't get this crap altogether... they nominate 40 people for the public to choose from, then alongside yourself blast the public for not having an opinion that's "expected" of them... it's just a survey FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

so wait what... 2 women made the top 10... while there was only a selection of 3 amongst a total of 40 people to choose from...

Clearly there should have been a quota system in place:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

if they did this poll again in a year or two gately will be long forgotten.
    this is just because he died recently.

while I obviously have sympathy for his family etc. him even being in the top 40 is a joke let alone the top 10.
    but then again who really gives a fcuk about a bull**** poll like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Nevermind_ wrote: »
    if they did this poll again in a year or two gately will be long forgotten.

while I obviously have sympathy for his family etc. him even being in the top 40 is a joke let alone the top 10.
    but then again who really gives a fcuk about a bull**** poll like this
    +1

its like the Jade Goody syndrome all over again. Give it 5-10 years and we wont even remember who they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Some people may just blast Stephen off as some prancy popstar young fella along with the rest of the lads in Boyzone... but sure, he was also an Irish bloke that came out about being gay... while alot of us were probably assuming he was... takes alot to come out with confidenceget smoked out of the closet by the media in Ireland the way everything was wrapped by Catholicism. I'm sure there's a big commuinity of people out there who appreciate that and are able to really relate to it.

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Nevermind_ wrote: »
    Hey, don't knock dying. Padraig Pearse wouldn't be mentioned on a poll like this if he hadn't turned up his toes when he did :p.
    Dying can be an absolutely spiffing career move. Look at Elvis, Marilyn, Jim Morrison, James Dean, JFK, MLK, ......

lugha wrote: »
    Hey, don't knock dying. Padraig Pearse wouldn't be mentioned on a poll like this if he hadn't turned up his toes when he did :p.
    Dying can be an absolutely spiffing career move. Look at Elvis, Marilyn, Jim Morrison, James Dean, JFK, MLK, ......

very true, cant help but think the opinions of collins and dev today, would be reversed had dev been the one shot.

Some people may just blast Stephen off as some prancy popstar young fella along with the rest of the lads in Boyzone... but sure, he was also an Irish bloke that came out about being gay... while alot of us were probably assuming he was... takes alot to come out with confidence in Ireland the way everything was wrapped by Catholicism. I'm sure there's a big commuinity of people out there who appreciate that and are able to really relate to it.

Oscar Wilde anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

bonerm wrote: »
    Who would you prefer OP? Bear in mind Adam Clayton and Mr.Edge cannot be included because they're Brits.

Also, bear in mind where Phil Lynott was born?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

the people who vote on these polls are usually the type of idiots who spend all their time on internet forums posting about topics they nkow very little about . . . .oh . . . .wait . . . oops.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Its no wonder we are in the gutter
    with retarded people who vote like this on polls

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dev-out-but-gately-joins-the-top-10-irish-greats-2126325.html

Who's this Ken Sweeney that came in at 11 just below Adi Roche.
    Was he the guy played by John Thaw in the TV series?

why are they shocked?

also...

Although OP I don't get this crap altogether... they nominate 40 people for the public to choose from, then alongside yourself blast the public for not having an opinion that's "expected" of them... it's just a survey FFS.

he came out when? the late 90's/early 00's. its not true to say the country was wrapped by catholicism then.

well i dont think its fair to say that stephen gately done more for ireland than, for example, daniel o'connell. i would be shocked if ever i met even one person who was adamant that gately was greater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If they were to do a poll, where people could decide which is the biggest crock o' sh1te poll of all time, I'm sorry to say that this poll would probably be number 500 on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Everyone should vote for Gately just to show how ridiculous the poll is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

DeV for all his faults would be far more appropriate

I agree.He can be a bit of a bastard at times but the man founded boards.ie people!!

You people should wash your faces, something on your noses there.

Looks brown...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Oscar Wilde anyone?
    he came out when? the late 90's/early 00's. its not true to say the country was wrapped by catholicism then.

well i dont think its fair to say that stephen gately done more for ireland than, for example, daniel o'connell. i would be shocked if ever i met even one person who was adamant that gately was greater.

Lads,

I was saying he was more relevant to the people of today... it's a survey put forward to the people of today and the people listed are those they've seen made an impact.

aDeener... yeah.. that sort of thing was still a big deal 10 years ago...
    FYP

I don't know the ins or outs of how he came out... if it was media pushing him out, he still would of had to make a statement about it and accept it out in public. you also have to take into account, the media were quick to blame what's taken as being the "stereotypical" view of hards drugs and unsafe sex that's meant to be rife in the gay commuinity as a cause leading to his death.

Saying yer gay with the possiblity of a backlash like that... is almost as if yer admiting to being guilty regardless of the circumstances you get ousted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

you also have to take into account, the media were quick to blame what's taken as being the "stereotypical" view of hards drugs and unsafe sex that's meant to be rife in the gay commuinity as a cause leading to his death.

I'm very surprised you think that. I know there was a very dodgy Daily Mail article, but most of the media responded to Gately's death with a gushing, fawning admiration for the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

No Gerry Ryan? Poll is void.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Ryan Tubridy was involved.

Are we surprised?

• Advertisement
Advertisement