Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When are we again???

Options
  • 06-04-2010 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭

ok........... so DT says good bye/hi to rose new years 2005. goodo. up he goes, regenerates, and starts crashing, falls out of the tardis door, gets back in, misses big ben and crashes on Amy's Aunts Shed.

He then leaves her for 5 mins, and comes back in 2017. then he goes off for another short trip to the moon and comes back in 2019.

now i am saying this because, although the doctor could have gone anywhere in time whilst off screen, it is not clear that the tardis would have been able to do that before it landed on the shed. so only after having a rest was it able to do the jump of 12 years.

so, do we start in 2019? if we do, it makes a lot of sense, as otherwise people would still be going on about gallifrey appearing in the sky and stuff....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

so, do we start in 2019? if we do, it makes a lot of sense, as otherwise people would still be going on about gallifrey appearing in the sky and stuff....

What's to say they aren't? Just because no-one mentioned it in the episode doesn't mean people still aren't on about it. Also none of the characters know that Gallifrey appearing in the sky is related to the Doctor so why would they mention it?

Generally I don't try to figure out Doctor Who timelines...they tend to hurt my head.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

He then leaves her for 5 mins, and comes back in 2017. then he goes off for another short trip to the moon and comes back in 2019.
    I thought Amy was in the present day though from certain things in the episode (mobiles, etc) and young Amy was in the past. Now I pointed this out elsewhere and someone reckoned he went through a small time jump from '05 to explain this.
    Meh, it's Doctor Who. The only time they concern themselves with a timeline is in the books as fans try to wrap it up all up in some sort of chronological sense (there's up to 3 Doctors running around during the millennium!). People seem to have a remarkably short memory in this for aliens, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Yeah, there's nothing to say that he didn't jump to young Amy in the year 1996, then re-appeared in 2008 and it's now 2010... Unless they give us a clear reference point in any particular year I find it's best not to try and figure it out in too much detail. Next episode they could be in 2163AD or BC!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Im normally one for figuring out timelines and temporal consistently in shows and films.

I started to with Dr who then gave up pretty damn quickly and filed any inconsistency it under "A timelord/wizard did it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Who cares. Amy's hot in any timeline!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

ixoy wrote: »
    Meh, it's Doctor Who. The only time they concern themselves with a timeline is in the books as fans try to wrap it up all up in some sort of chronological sense (there's up to 3 Doctors running around during the millennium!). People seem to have a remarkably short memory in this for aliens, etc.

stop being so serious :D

but good to see you noticed all the doctors banging around, maybe we could have a good old fashioned fan fiction story.... maybe even a thread based on one :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Considering how broken the TARDIS was at the time, and what a mess he made of the short hops to & from Amy's garden, I wouldn't lay any bets on what year it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 VicNoir

I'm thinking we're in the modern day, if only because (as mentioned about) there's the technology and because it's easier on the writers.

I would like to see a companion from a different time on the new series at some point, though preferably one from the past.

I loved Charley Pollard in the Eighth Doctor Audio Dramas. She met the Doctor in 1930, so when she came to a more modern time, she was able to bring across just how far things have come in the last century.

When she left they didn't have TV, now you can watch videos on a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Gavin W

ok........... so DT says good bye/hi to rose new years 2005. goodo. up he goes, regenerates, and starts crashing, falls out of the tardis door, gets back in, misses big ben and crashes on Amy's Aunts Shed.

now i am saying this because, although the doctor could have gone anywhere in time whilst off screen, it is not clear that the tardis would have been able to do that before it landed on the shed. so only after having a rest was it able to do the jump of 12 years.

We actually hear the sound of the TARDIS materialising in the garden, rather than just crashing. So that pretty much confirms that it did indeed travel in time.

So the most straightforward interpretation is:

Scenes with young Amelia: 1996
    Majority of the story: 2008
    Colecting Amy at the end before her wedding night: 2010.

From another site:
    d61-570x280.png

When the Doctor takes his look around the village green we zoom in on Rory’s hospital pass. Issued 1990. Rory is a young man, early twenties at the most, he won’t have been issued with a hospital pass twenty years ago. Some have explained this as Rory’s birthday (nope, it says Issued:) or as a production glitch… but really? On detail-obsessed Steven Moffat’s first episode seen in close-up? No chance.

That definitely throws a spanner in the works regarding it being set in modern day (2010/08)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Papa Smut wrote: »
    From another site:

That definitely throws a spanner in the works regarding it being set in modern day (2010/08)

But it DOES explain why Amy has no recollection of Daleks. It simply never happened for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Well spotted! but how is that consistent with the smart phones and technology (I-Phones and laptops) used in the 1st episode? I'd have said that the eleventh hour was close enough to 2010 because of that. The picture throws a spanner into that, is it some type of mistake on the part of the producers? or is it a very clever and subtle hint. Only thing I can think of is that Amy is from a (very slightly) different universe to the one in which the Doctor usually operates where tech evolves quicker?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

KenHy wrote: »
    Well spotted! but how is that consistent with the smart phones and technology (I-Phones and laptops) used in the 1st episode? I'd have said that the eleventh hour was close enough to 2010 because of that. The picture throws a spanner into that, is it some type of mistake on the part of the producers? or is it a very clever and subtle hint. Only thing I can think of is that Amy is from a (very slightly) different universe to the one in which the Doctor usually operates where tech evolves quicker?

Good point. How where they on a webcam conference call pre broadband.

Actually, Stephen Moffat said that the name badge thing was a mistake that they only noticed after the episode had aired.

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/steven-moffat-interview-doctor-who.php

VicNoir wrote: »
    Actually, Stephen Moffat said that the name badge thing was a mistake that they only noticed after the episode had aired.

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/steven-moffat-interview-doctor-who.php

Aha! Nice find :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

VicNoir wrote: »

Ah bollocks.

/trashes "time compression" theory.

Gavin W wrote: »
    We actually hear the sound of the TARDIS materialising in the garden, rather than just crashing. So that pretty much confirms that it did indeed travel in time.

So the most straightforward interpretation is:

Scenes with young Amelia: 1996
    Majority of the story: 2008
    Colecting Amy at the end before her wedding night: 2010.

cant be, because as it crashes it passes the millenium dome, and then he crashes into the garden.

it would/could explain amy not knowing about the Daleks, but then again my theory on that (and the crack) is all about the messing about with the void that has been going on since 2005

cant be, because as it crashes it passes the millenium dome, and then he crashes into the garden.
    Yep - it squashes the theory alright and makes me think Amy must be from (slightly) in the future so she should remember the Daleks. Obviously, the Doctor isn't an idiot and the answer isn't going to be "Uh-oh spaghettio! You're from 1996, so that's why you don't remember." It's to do with the time cracks and more should become apparent as we go on.

I'm going to also stab a guess that River Song's journal is going to play some important part in determining the correct sequence of events and that Amy will need to read parts of it to determine what should've happened.

maybe she was on holiday, or drunk, like donna.

or with donna.

or with donna.
    Maybe she is Donna and the Doctor.

• Advertisement

you know there are people on
    other forums full of nutters
    where this is being seriously considered.

always proud of our forum that we are not exactly on the insane edge of fandom :)

This is true, but Leadworth's closest city is Gloucester, not London. There is plenty of time for the TARDIS to have dematerialised after it passed over London, travel backwards in time and rematerialise outside Amy's house.

When the TARDIS is flying over London, Amy will have already met the Doctor on her timeline at least twice, once when she was a child and once, two years ago, when he stopped the Atraxi.

Well now we know - the first episode was on the 25/6/2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

And I don't think it's a coincidence that 26/6/10 - the date things are apparently going to go to hell - is the date that Episode 12 or 13 (depending on whether there will be a week break or not) will be scheduled to air...

fictional explanation for millenium dome : Timey Wimey Stuff

non-fictional : balls up with the footage. Seems to be happening a lot this year (see Victory of the Daleks complete with cardiff Skyscraper)

nerd alert: in The End Of Time, the doctor is supposed to crash into the Naismith Mansion and have his duel with The Master and Rassilon at 5 am - on St Stephens Day. Yet as the ship approaches its broad daylight.

these things happen, even with CGI and stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I think it was Den of Geek who said that one or other part of the season finale is on June 25th. Part 1 or Part 2 depending on whether the BBC show Doctor Who the same night as the Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

I thought that after watching the last episode stone and flesh, history has been re-written by what ever is behind the crack and that all the stuff that has previously happened has now no longer happened.

yes indeedy. in any event, the script for the eleventh hour states in big letters that the doctor arrives in amelias house in June 1996. so the milenium dome thing was just a blooper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

in June 1996.

Right that makes sense. Makes 14 years later, now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

or with donna.

karen-gillan-drunk-1.jpg

Possible.

Advertisement