Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of buying 2001 Mondeo 2.0 Diesel

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

He's having a laugh with that price. TDCi is a nicer engine but I know someone that did 250k in one of the older TDDi engines with no problems.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mondeo/2.0Tdies/201003196637129/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

tdci Mondeo is a far better and more powerful engine but think its only available from 2002/3 . ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Too expensive imo, also that car looks very tired for 111k miles. Is it me or on the right hand side does the colour of the doors look a slightly darker shade to the front wing/bonnet/bumper? Car looks like a dog imo to be honest.

While this one is still expensive, at least it is the higher spec Zetec TDCi, lower mileage and looks alot fresher:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201013197416424

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

shawnee wrote: »
    tdci Mondeo is a far better and more powerful engine but think its only available from 2002/3 . ;)

TDCi is more refined, but same power. TDDi 90 is a bit of a dog, but will probably keep going for ever. If you can find a Zetec 115bhp (TDDi or TDCi) within budget then that's the one to go for.

I had a 2001 Mondeo for about 18 months and put over 40,000miles on without a single issue. Servicing cost about €200 every 12,500 miles. I did go through a set of front tyres in 12,500miles, but that was probably more me than the car.

Clutch and flywheel will probably go at 100,000miles or before, and I've heard of the Turbo having to be replaced at around that mileage as well. If you can find one with both those bits done already you should be OK for another while.

Just having a look through the history of some of the high mileage Mondeo 2.0 Diesels we had on fleet. Turbo replaced at 157,000km on one that then went to 210,000km. Doesn't look like it ever had a clutch though.

What's with the tags on this thread?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Thanks for the replies, can see myself having to take a trip to Kerry to have a look at that Mondeo.

Anyone with more hints or tips on what to look out for?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

This might be a good read, give you an idea of any common faults anyway.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/mondeo-iii-2000/?section=bad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

the flashing glow plug light problem is what u will face, loss of power, and fortune to fix
    why not buy a merc 220cdi

• Advertisement

argosy2006 wrote: »
    the flashing glow plug light problem is what u will face, loss of power, and fortune to fix
    why not buy a merc 220cdi

Because they are a hell of lot more likely to have mechanical / electrical issues, don't drive half as well as a Mondeo, and cost more to fix when they inevitably go wrong?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Too expensive imo, also that car looks very tired for 111k miles. Is it me or on the right hand side does the colour of the doors look a slightly darker shade to the front wing/bonnet/bumper? Car looks like a dog imo to be honest.

While this one is still expensive, at least it is the higher spec Zetec TDCi, lower mileage and looks alot fresher:

Anyone dealt with the dealer that has the Mondeo in the link above that Bazz posted?

Hmm a 2.2l Merc.... Computer says NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭mcshape

I had both a 90bhp lx and then a 115bhp zetec tdci, both rock solid cars and never a problem with either, the 115 was like s**t off a shovel but very noisy!

Not familiar with the expression "Sh!t off a shovel" Explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭mcshape

It goes "very fast"

LOL Mmmmm Now do I want that? :D

Have just spoken to Paul about this and am very interested, she's a 1.8 TDDI and has partial service history and receipts, what else do I need to know?

How long does the timing chain on one of these last?

Looks like the old 2 lite TDDi. They are reliable enough but a bit rough.

Don't think there was a 1.8 available in them

Well he told me just there that it was a 1.8l, cartell says its a 2.0 though? Said the 2.0 didn't come in the Zetec until 2005?

Well he told me just there that it was a 1.8l, cartell says its a 2.0 though? Said the 2.0 didn't come in the Zetec until 2005?

The car looks really good, but I'd be very wary about someone who doesn't know what engine is in the car.

The 1.8 was a 125bhp Petrol engine in that shape Mondeo. All the Diesels were 2.0 (90bhp, 115bhp and 130bhp) except the rare 2.2 155bhp.

1.8 diesel didn't reappear in the Mondeo until 2007 and the new (current) model.

• Advertisement

That's what I thought (1.8l Petrol & 2.0 Diesel in that model Mondeo) but sure I'll go have a look see and if it were a 2.0l? Would it be a good buy?

MC

Thanks for all the advise.

That's what I thought (1.8l Petrol & 2.0 Diesel in that model Mondeo) but sure I'll go have a look see and if it were a 2.0l? Would it be a good buy?

MC

Thanks for all the advise.

Still sounds a bit pricey to me for a 9 year old car. Not sure what it's worth though as it's a bit older than I'm used to dealing with. Oldest that still lists in the book is a 2002 Zetec @ €3,550, but that's probably based on higher mileage (doesn't list the mileage, fairly irrelevant at that age). I'd try to get it closer to €3,000

I think the chain is supposed to last for the life of the engine.

That is what I'd be aiming for < 3000.

Thanks, going to look her over tomorrow and will report back.

Advertisement