Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grown-ups who still refer to their parents as "mammy" and "daddy"

• 06-04-2010 3:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭

I mean if a little kid is referred to his parents as mammy and daddy then ok I'll let it go but oftentimes I hear adult humans refer to their parents with same

"Mammy is making a cake and Daddy is going to eat it all if we don't show up soon"

They also, for whatever reason, decide to omit the possessive pronoun "my", perhaps because like Jesus himself they believe their parents to be omnipotent powers and guardians of all mankind.

What is so difficult about saying "My mother is making a cake and my father is going to eat it all if we don't show up soon"??

What should be done with this people and why do they do it????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

I still call mine that. Don't be hating on me for it. What ya gonna do eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

I agree, it's very creepy alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Seems to be big in Norn Iron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I think it's endearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

What kinda cake is it?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

"Mother, could you pass the salt, mother?"
    That sounds ridiculous.

4 1's. Yey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Well i don't say mammy and daddy,i say mam and dad, or ma and da when i'm in Dublin mode :D

I also hate husbands who call their wife mammy and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭m-a-i-

C_Dawg wrote: »
    I still call mine that. Don't be hating on me for it. What ya gonna do eh?

I have to admit that I do the same from time to time. Most of the time its mam or dad but it sometimes slips :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"Mother! Oh God, Mother! Blood! Blood!"

I see what you mean OP. Stick Mammy into that sentence and it just sounds so mundane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

alwaysadub wrote: »

In what context are we talking here? Cause if it's the one I'm thinking of then there's something majorly wrong with it! :eek:

• Advertisement

Is this the OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Let me be clear here.

If you are talking directly to your mother/your mammy/mammy...then it is ok if you call her "Mom/Mam"

Ma is too knackerish and Mammy is too childlike

My problem with using the term "mammy" and "daddy" is when talking about your parents indirectly as per the example in the original post

So when talking about your parents (not directly to them) please do not use the words "Mammy" and "Daddy" (see examples below)
    "Mammy pass her driving test today"

"Daddy lost his job too"

Thank you: Remedial classes for those who still haven't understood the context correctly began at 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

donfers wrote: »
    They also, for whatever reason, decide to omit the possessive pronoun "my", perhaps because like Jesus himself they believe their parents to be omnipotent powers and guardians of all mankind.

Who else's parents are they gonna be talking about? "Mammy baked me a delicious cake last night" "Why would my mother bake you a cake?" :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    In what context are we talking here? Cause if it's the one I'm thinking of then there's something majorly wrong with it! :eek:

Not like that :p

As in, "will we have a cup of tea mammy" when he's talking to his wife.
    Doesn't happen too often thank god but i have heard it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭snowy2008

my brother now calls my mam and dad, mommy and daddy!!! they died and left him a lovely big house, a property in the south of france and a ton of cash, he used never call before this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

MaaammeEEEEeEEEeeEeEeEeEEeEEEeeEEeEEeEEEEEEEEEEEUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Screechy little fecker. And then you buy them the .99 to shut them up! WTF ARE YOU THINKING REWARDING THAT SHRILL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

donfers wrote: »
    What should be done with this people and why do they do it????

They should be exterminated because they're sad simple feckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I've always called my parents by their first names. I know some people think thats weird, but its weirder to me to call them mum and dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭greener greene

"Why would my mother bake you a cake?" :confused:

Giggidy

"Why would my mother bake you a cake?" :confused:

Let's not get into that right now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

SLAP!! Who's your Daddy, SLAP!!

Giselle wrote: »
    I've always called my parents by their first names.

Oh no. Couldn't be doing that at all :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Giggidy
    dman, beaten to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I call them mummy/mum and dad. I call my dad daddy if i'm speaking through the puppy (i.e. making her paws wave and saying "hello daddy!" in a squeaky puppy voice) I alternate between calling my mum "my mum" or "my mummy" if I'm speaking about her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I say mum and dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

alwaysadub wrote: »

God yeah thats so weird I remember my friends folks used to do that when I was a kid. Even then it was weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Piste wrote: »
    I call my dad daddy if i'm speaking through the puppy (i.e. making her paws wave and saying "hello daddy!" in a squeaky puppy voice)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Mam/Ma and Dad are their names? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I agree with the OP, I cringe when I hear it.

My parents sadly moved on to the next world, I called them "Mum" and "Dad" - though my brothers called them by their first names (in a piss-take form, which they laughed at)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I say mum and dad.

Me too. My siblings don't though. I'm 37 - does that matter? As far as I am concerned they are my parents and kind of special, hence the reason I prefer to give them that identity. Nobody else has it, and I find it kinda weird when my sister refers to my mother by her christian name. Anybody can be called that, but I only have one Mum and Dad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

I usually call my mother by her first name or just mother. As in 'Mother where are you?' 'Hello Mother' 'My mother is from' etc. And my Dad I always call 'Dad'. Simple really!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Girl in work does it, mainly when she's talking on the phone to them. But sometimes she'll refer to them as her mammy, or daddy, which we always thought was weird.. she's 25

She also kisses her dad on the lips (if she's giving a peck i mean), which is truely weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i call my ma, ma or mam, call my da, da or dad.

if i want something they get mammy and daddy :)

i call my mam by her first name when i'm takin the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

If I said 'Mammy' I would instantly have her attention cos she'd know there's something wrong
    If I said 'Daddy' he'd probably look at me in disgust like I was some kind of fairy!

First name basis in my house with the occasional mother thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

She also kisses her dad on the lips (if she's giving a peck i mean), which is truely weird

I was at a wedding once and saw the groomsman kissing his mother on the lips. It was truly disturbing:(...she was standing there with her arms around his neck smiling and whispering sweet nothings into each others' faces for about 10 frickin' mins and there and then they kissed each other....on the lips-yuck!!
    My cousin calls her parents 'mammy' and 'daddy', it sounds so childlike and she's nearly 40.
    Way back in the day when Nick Cotton was hassling Dot in Eastenders, my sister and I started to copy the way he pronounced 'ma' (maw). We still call my mother that but sometimes it's 'mam'. My father's dead now but we just called him da after we grew out of 'daddy'.
    My two boys call me mam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

I have an aunt and uncle who call each other ma and da. Yes, its weird but i'm used to it now.

I call my parents mam and dad usually. If I say 'daddy' to my dads face he usually just sighs and says 'how much is this going to cost me'....good man, my dad :D

My kids call me 'mammy' and I swear after hearing it 200 times a day the word has lost all meaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

ive noticed that alright .. mammy and daddy are normally used by very young kids .. for me mother - mum and father = dad / old fella

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Now when I think of it, my dad used to call my mam 'wife' a lot as in 'wife I'm starving', in a light hearted way but if he was serious it'd be her first name. My mother's a bit odd, I never heard her calling him by his name ever. She just asked him stuff and spoke to him without addressing him. If she hadn't his attention she'd say 'I say'. That's mad isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I call my parents mam and dad. When talking about other peoples parents in reference to them being their parents, I may refer to them as being X's mam and dad, but if talking directly to them, I'd call them by their names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Is Mom okay? i.e. MILF :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭jigglywoo

Lois! Lois! Lois! Lois! Lois! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mummy! Mommy! Mommy! Muma! Muma! Muma! Ma! Ma! Ma! Ma! Mum! Mum! Mum! Mum! Mummy! Mummy!!! Muma!!! Muma! Muma!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 GlitterFairy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Seems to be big in Norn Iron

no thats just them derry wans.. my mum calls her mum "mammy" its soooo annoying!!

it's the lexical equivalent of a comfort blanket and one of noble breeding and class should quickly grow out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Girl in work does it, mainly when she's talking on the phone to them. But sometimes she'll refer to them as her mammy, or daddy, which we always thought was weird.. she's 25

even when I see that on a TV show i cringe. It happened on the osbournes last night. urrgggh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Doesn't bother me. What does bother me is my mam and her sisters. When they're talking to each other they never say "I seen mam the other day" or "I was talkin' to dad the other day." It's always "I seen my/me ma the other day" or "I was talkin' to me/my da earlier."

The 3 of them do it all the time. It's as if they have seperate fathers but they don't they all have the one father and the one mother but refer to them as "mine" and not "our."

Head wreckers. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Giselle wrote: »
    I've always called my parents by their first names. I know some people think thats weird, but its weirder to me to call them mum and dad.

Whatever about mam/mammy dad/daddy, I don't think it's right for people to call their parents by their first names. The way I look at it, the whole world can call me by my first name, but my 3 kids get to call me dad. To me it's a sign of respect and also of the close family ties we enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

chughes wrote: »
    Whatever about mam/mammy dad/daddy, I don't think it's right for people to call their parents by their first names. The way I look at it, the whole world can call me by my first name, but my 3 kids get to call me dad. To me it's a sign of respect and also of the close family ties we enjoy.

My family is very close and I respect my parents more than any other people in the world.

I just don't need to call them special names based on one role in their lives. I call them by their names because thats how we are in our family. It has nothing to do with whats 'right' or 'wrong'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement