Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf - is all of it nice?

Options
  • 06-04-2010 3:18pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at renting in Clontarf, which I know is generally regarded as a nice area. Is all of it good? Is there any area that's a bit dodgy? Or maybe an area that people like to call Clontarf but isn't really (as the way places near Swords try and label themselves as being in Malahide at times!).

In particular what about somewhere like Dunluce Road? Location wise it seems fine but I'd just like to be sure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I think pretty much the whole of Clontarf is nice, and unlike the Swords example there's no where nearby claiming Clontarf as an address!.

And besides which, its surrounded by nice area's too, Killester, Fairview, Marino, Raheny and apart from that horrible Bar Code nightclub and Fairview Park at night everythings positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I think pretty much the whole of Clontarf is nice, and unlike the Swords example there's no where nearby claiming Clontarf as an address!.

And besides which, its surrounded by nice area's too, Killester, Fairview, Marino, Raheny and apart from that horrible Bar Code nightclub and Fairview Park at night everythings positive.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Some parts of Clontarf have gotten horrible recently, loads of drugs/muggings etc around Marino and Fairview, and the people from Marino and Fairview often go up further to Clontarf, drinking on the seafront etc. Around Vernon Avenue and Clontarf Castle is very nice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭DublinRunnerJoe

You cannot beat the cheap pints and great live music on Sundays in Barcode

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Some parts of Clontarf have gotten horrible recently, loads of drugs/muggings etc around Marino and Fairview, and the people from Marino and Fairview often go up further to Clontarf, drinking on the seafront etc. Around Vernon Avenue and Clontarf Castle is very nice though.
    Thanks - So basically staying right of Howth Road is the better area? There's a few places in the Kincora area and near Castle Avenue. I'm guessing that's a reasonable area (since it appears near Clontarf Castle)?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Most of clontarf is safe but i wouldnt go walking round dollymount strand at night..it has always attracted weirdos..the same goes for the wooden bridge area at night..cops are always pulling over carloads of suspicious people.
    Also the area round Conquer Hill used to have a bit of a bad rep.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

All the areas mentioned by you ixoy would be lovely places to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

ixoy wrote: »
    Thanks - So basically staying right of Howth Road is the better area? There's a few places in the Kincora area and near Castle Avenue. I'm guessing that's a reasonable area (since it appears near Clontarf Castle)?

Most people from Clontarf wouldn't even regard what's left of Howth road as Clontarf, I think it is up till Killester village but I'm not sure on that. Conquer hill used to be dodgy enough but it's fine now, prices are lower there as it still has a "bad name".

Kincora is a great place to buy / rent. Very close to the 130 stop on the seafront or the multiple routes along the Howth road depending on where you locate. Dunluce road is fine, nothing bad about it. Stay right of the Malahide road I'd say and you're fine up till Killester village.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

RMD wrote: »
    Kincora is a great place to buy / rent. Very close to the 130 stop on the seafront or the multiple routes along the Howth road depending on where you locate. Dunluce road is fine, nothing bad about it. Stay right of the Malahide road I'd say and you're fine up till Killester village.
    Only problem for the OH is that it's about 1.5km from the tDART station (the preferred and quicker mode of transport).

Working backwards from Killester (and down in price), how is say Artane for living in? In particular Brookfield estate (like here). I'm curious why it's "only" 880e a month - Growing up in Sutton Artane had a bit of a poor reputation but I don't want snobbery to get in the way of what might be a perfectly nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I'm looking at renting in Clontarf, which I know is generally regarded as a nice area. Is all of it good? Is there any area that's a bit dodgy? Or maybe an area that people like to call Clontarf but isn't really (as the way places near Swords try and label themselves as being in Malahide at times!).

In particular what about somewhere like Dunluce Road? Location wise it seems fine but I'd just like to be sure.

I lived in and near ClonTarf for most of my years. Dunluce is definitely Clontarf. You're near the Howth Road for buses & DART (Killester), Saint Annes, Killester for local shopping, takeaways & pub. The houses in Dunluce are of a good size.

I would have no qualms about recommending that area for anyone. One thing I can think of, that might be an issue, is people leaving the cars parked there all day & using the DART to get to and from town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I think pretty much the whole of Clontarf is nice, and unlike the Swords example there's no where nearby claiming Clontarf as an address.. that horrible Bar Code nightclub.

Apart from Bar Code's neighbours - Westwood Fairview, eh I mean, Clontarf :D ?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭aidannulty

Only problem for the OH is that it's about 1.5km from the tDART station (the preferred and quicker mode of transport).

Working backwards from Killester (and down in price), how is say Artane for living in? In particular Brookfield estate (like here). I'm curious why it's "only" 880e a month - Growing up in Sutton Artane had a bit of a poor reputation but I don't want snobbery to get in the way of what might be a perfectly nice place.

the only reason its at €880 is because it has wooden windows!! if the windows were upgraded it would easily achieve over €1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

aidannulty wrote: »
    the only reason its at €880 is because it has wooden windows!! if the windows were upgraded it would easily achieve over €1000

It was 1,050 on Mar 2nd when it was put up on Daft, courtesy of Property bee toolbar.

06 March 2010
    * Price changed: from '€1,050 monthly' to '€1,000 monthly
    09 March 2010
    * Price changed: from '€1,000 monthly' to '€900 monthly
    21 March 2010
    * Price changed: from '€900 monthly' to '€880 monthly'

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

Artane is grand really. I moved into a place just before xmas right by the Artane roundabout. It's so well located for pretty much everything... Just a 10 minute walk to the Dart as well.

Advertisement