Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AE camera match move mayhem

Options
  • 06-04-2010 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have green screen footage which I want to match with the animation I have for a virtual camera from a maya scene. I've tried using locators, baking the animation but to no avail, in that while the baked anim in the .ma file is fine, the camera node doesn't move at all in AE. I'm using a shaker script to make the camera anim a bit jerky like in real life, so it may be something to do with this. I've done a test with just one ordinary camera and one locator, and the camera moves although I cant see through it in AE to see the null object move with respect to the camera, so I'm stuck with this particular method of match moving. The effect I want to achieve is to have the green screen footage move in tandem with the animation of the virtual camera, but I really am at a loss how to do this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

i could be reading this wrong...

If you insist apon using AE you
    -match the camera footage in AE, and render it with a border around it. -Save the AE session.
    -import the steady footage into maya(i use max) and put it into the scene as a bitmap image(movie file plays as a texture).
    -Animate your scene in maya/max and render an AVI.
    -Take the newely rendered AVI, and import it to the first AE session.
    -Create a null object in AE, and attach the new footage to it.
    -put the opposite values of the tacking points from the first tracking you did, and put them on the new AVI.

OR!

just camera match in max and build the scene around it then put your 'wiggle' command in in AE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

red_ice wrote: »
    i could be reading this wrong...

If you insist apon using AE you
    -match the camera footage in AE, and render it with a border around it. -Save the AE session.
    -import the steady footage into maya(i use max) and put it into the scene as a bitmap image(movie file plays as a texture).
    -Animate your scene in maya/max and render an AVI.
    -Take the newely rendered AVI, and import it to the first AE session.
    -Create a null object in AE, and attach the new footage to it.
    -put the opposite values of the tacking points from the first tracking you did, and put them on the new AVI.

OR!

just camera match in max and build the scene around it then put your 'wiggle' command in in AE.

Thanks for the advice, Im using maya, I'm not sure I understand though. Step 1: I match the green screen footage in AE at the start, if so how do I do this with the tracking points and such? Step 2:
    I place the gs footage onto a plane as a texture I'm guessing, and run it as an iff sequence, then render this out. Step 3: import back into AE and create a null object, attach the newly rendered footage, then put the opposite values? I'm not really sure whats at work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

There are tutorials on creativecow and video co pilot that might suit your project. If you get stuck you can post specific problems here, and I'll help you if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Figured it out, I forgot that maya doesn't like the AE naming convention for iffs, given that ae renders out the iffs with a _ before the sequence number instead of a . so this temporarily delayed my original idea to render out the green screen footage mapped on to planes in the right locations through the virtual camera in maya. But it worked out in the end. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement