Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what would have happened

• 06-04-2010 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

what would have happened if the 1916 uprising never took place or the war of indepenence never fought . Would Ireland still have remained a loyal part of the united kingdom to this day .

I hear many so called Irish people asking the question would we have been better off today under the UK system now that our economy has gone down the toilet as many head back to the cities of england to find work and a better life .

I watched the wind the shakes the barley over easter and could not help thinking what if this never happened .. what would ireland be like today , would we be any better off ,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

what would have happened if the 1916 uprising never took place or the war of indepenence never fought . Would Ireland still have remained a loyal part of the united kingdom to this day .

I hear many so called Irish people asking the question would we have been better off today under the UK system now that our economy has gone down the toilet as many head back to the cities of england to find work and a better life .

I watched the wind the shakes the barley over easter and could not help thinking what if this never happened .. what would ireland be like today , would we be any better off ,

I consider the state of america to be closely followed by britain and then europe.I doubt it matters where you go as to the state of the place but more like some countries are more suitable for some jobs and not others.
    The Uk i think have the olypics soon so that might help them out a little.

The only reason our economy is gone down the toilet is because we joined europe and it was planned to go that way.We should have stayed a single nation and carried on exports imports.
    Although i think if we hadnt joined europe there would have been another obstacle that would have gotten us caught up.People arent suspicious enough of politicians by far.
    As for us being a part of england i thought we always were bending knee to them and if not them then it switched to europe,or is it a bit of both now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Torakx wrote: »

The only reason our economy is gone down the toilet is because we joined europe and it was planned to go that way.We should have stayed a single nation and carried on exports imports.

There's been 2 or 3 recessions since Ireland joined the EU. Mid 70's, early 1980's and early 1990's. You'd swear it was the end of the world or something.

Personally I wonder if 1916 actually did anything for Irish Independance that wouldn't have happened anyway. Would it have come without 1916? probably IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

studiorat wrote: »
    There's been 2 or 3 recessions since Ireland joined the EU. Mid 70's, early 1980's and early 1990's. You'd swear it was the end of the world or something.

Personally I wonder if 1916 actually did anything for Irish Independance that wouldn't have happened anyway. Would it have come without 1916? probably IMO.

It would have happened eventually.
    1916 was hardly a masterclass in miltary tactics, although it sent a strong message.
    The ideologies of the British rulers and the Irish people were too different for British rule to continue indefinitely.

As for the state of the economy, well I'd argue that after stumbling through the first few decades of independence we realised that attracting footloose companies from others countries via tax breaks and cheap wages was a good way to pump up a failing economy. The problem we had was believing that those companies would stay here while other countries repeated our trick after we raised our labour rates.
    We thought that capitalism was our friend, when in reality the only friend that capitalism has is profit. We just weren't smart enough to be wise with the money we made during our boom ie, building infrastructure and developing a smaller more sustainable economic model whatever form that might have taken.

I don't think that being a part of the U.K would have been benificial during this recession. The chances are that we wouldn't be anywhere near as developed a nation as we are at the moment had we never seperated from Britain. In fact we would have been granted more and more autonomy whether we liked it or not as to decrease the strain on the British economy.

Things could have been a lot better, but they also could have been a lot worse. Life is generally about arriving at a comprimise in between the two and it's sort of where we find ourselves today.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭legatti

Wind shaking the barley , well the u.k surely has reaped what it has sown, i moved here to galway in 2008, for a better life for myself and my children away from guns and knifes and a crap education system and thus far everything is a millon percent better than london (surrey)
    im of irish decent so im also a citizen, so the west has been a holiday destination to see family for years.

would Ireland be any better off? i dont think so, as much as europe has it pit falls i think Ireland is in better stead in Europe standing on its own
    rather than being a poor cousin of the Uk which is how N.i is treated in the main anyway.
    theres nothing to be gained by following the english, for they have no culture of there own apart from the upper classes, there now feeling that big time, one of my sayings is " they would rather stab you than smile"
    they have a history of divide and conquer and now that wind is shaking the barley and seeing theres not a great deal sown in the uk's fields
    apart from buckingham palace of course!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 dimejinky9

You could fairly argue that on an ordinary everyday level is it not exactly the same either way? we may as well not be independent of Britain. Walk down any 'high' street in Ireland. It's almost completely british chain stores and businesses. Turn on TV and but for 4 channels it's all british tv.
    And don't get me started about soccer.

We rabbit on about how important it is to be Irish, but I think we would have possibly benefitted a lot more had we stayed but in terms of what we got out of it as a nation, and nationalism and pride and especially the language would have benefitted hugely had we remained under their flag owing to our naturally rebellious nature and our need to identify ourselves as Irish not British to spite them. Welsh is spoken everyday in Wales and they're part of the UK whereas Irish is almost a dead language and yet we're an independent state.

Michael Collins was shown the plans for Dublins underground subway by Britis PM Lloyd george and joked he would have held off the war of Independence for 5 years in order to let them finish it. They really should have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

What relevance does all this have to this forum?

Advertisement