Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hedging for wet garden

Options
  • 06-04-2010 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭

hi all looking for suggestions for hedging for wet back garden on half acre site. i ilke grisselania or laurel would either of these be suitable for a very wet garden.
    also one or two trees willow have been suggested.
    finally will may be too late for planting bare root?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 wildlandscape

You just about get away with planting bare root this week...weather is slowly improving and many shrubs and trees are beginning to leaf!

Escallonia, willow, birch, spindle tree, dog wood, anything ornamental in the elder family (sambucus), and alder all grow well in wet gardens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hornbeam is very similar to beech but will tolerate wet situations, just not flooded..

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

thanks for the replies regarding trees will probably go with willow and alder
    will grisselania hedge survive in wet sometimes waterlogged soil?
    also why can bare root not be planted after april?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Bareroot is a method of lifting-moveing-planting plants which are in their dormant season, they don't notice the roots are bare as long as they are kept moist...

Once we get to this time of year the plants are budding and leaves opening which means the plant needs the roots in soil to take in moisture and nutrients.

I planted my last 30 bareroot yeaterday, should just get away with it as the buds on some were just opening...

If you are going with willow, (and I would only have a willow hedge on a large rural site) you could try for cuttings.. I've never done this but I have 400 arriving soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

Alder is great for wet areas, it'll dry up the puddles quickly after a bad period of rain. I wouldn't plant griselini there, it might survive but I doubt will ever thrive. There is 1 exceptional griselini tree that I know of though that is growing right on the bank of a river and it's about 9-10 meters tall.

johno

• Advertisement
Advertisement