Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD funding: Alternatives?

• 06-04-2010 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hey All

Im looking for info about funding for PhD study, basicly I need to get my hands on money and the usual sources (IRCHSS, college scholarships) are dried up. Has anyone heard of alternative sources funding PhD study in the Social Sciences, such as Drugs Task Forces, Govt Depts, Business organisations etc.

I wopuld be very grateful for your input.

Nadnerb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

Hi Nadnerb

I'm not sure if this is much help to you but I'm doing a structured Ph.D. program in Information Systems, where my first year and a half involves going to lectures before I start choosing a topic and so on.

This used to be funded with a €20,000 grant from the department but as you say this is now dried up. I therefore got a local county coucil grant which pays my fees of €6000 and gives me some money towards my rent (think its €3000 but I have to share this with my sister as she is also in college).

And from speaking with a lecturer recently he was saying that funding is extremely difficult to get but I should be looking to companies who might want to fund a student to do their Ph.D. This way they are getting something from your research and you are being funded. Also he mentioned if you have a company you can apply for other grants that will part fund your Ph.D. with the company.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Do you have a topic that you definitely want to research or is there somewhere that you definitely want to study? Perhaps you could apply for some positions in the UK
    http://www.jobs.ac.uk/cgi-bin/search.cgi?category=1100&keywords=&x=65&y=12&jobtype=02&salary_from=&salary_to=
    http://www.esrc.ac.uk/ESRCInfoCentre/index.aspx

Advertisement