Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo finished by another artist!

Options
  • 06-04-2010 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

I am half way through a half sleeve tattoo but I am not very happy with the artist. The whole attitude of the shop is not what I was expecting from what I had heard about the guy, and he went slightly off design with what I told him I wanted and now I cant really get the finish I wanted so I have had to redesign the rest of it.
    What do tattooists feel about finishing someone else's work, is it frowned upon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Most would be pretty reluctant to continue someone elses work, but if you explain the situation, then you might get some artist to carry it on for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Why would they be reluctant, is it because they would be treading on someone else's toes or they dont want to be associated with bad work?
    The work itself isint that bad, the line work was excellent but his subsequent colouring was quite ropey, thankfully there wasent too much of it done as he was pretty late for my second appointment so the session was cut short, one of the things that annoyed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I wouldnt imagine "stepping on toes" to be the cause of reluctance more so finishing someone elses bad job doesn't give the artist the scope to put out a tattoo that their proud of or is 100% theirs.
    As Damo said, explain the situation, and they'd have to have a heart of stone not to help out. I wouldn't bitch out the previous 'artist' to another tattooist as you dont know who knows who etc
    Also be careful who you pick to tattoo you. If you want a colour tattoo choose an artist with a great portfolio full of great colour tattoos. Its only logical.

I did so much research before picking my tattooist and eventually settled on this guy after all the good reports I heard about him. To be honest, I dident like alot of the pictures I saw of his work but thought they must be just bad pictures as I only heard glowing reports about him.
    But as i said, the line work was excellent, then he added colour to it and it started to go all wrong. Another of the things that annoyed me was I said I wanted mostly black and grey apart from a few exact parts but he went ahead and put loads of colour in places I dident want it.
    It was a few little things like that that make me not want to go back, basically I felt he just dident care about it, it was just a job to him, whereas it is the whole top half of my arm for the rest of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

ok so why didnt you say STOP and ask him what he was doing when you noticed he STARTED to go off the design you chose?
    Im not having a go at you but it would have made sense to tell him to stop when you noticed he started to use more colour than you wanted and go off design.

• Advertisement

It was on the back of my arm, kind of hard to see from where I was sitting. I wanted colour in certain places so I presumed he was working on those areas. I put my trust in this guy, I dident think I had to watch every stroke he applied.

Advertisement