Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible aistes 2010

• 06-04-2010 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

What are ye all thinking for HL Irish essays this year?

Like for the last few years, there seemed to have been one or two essays that everyone was banking on. Last year everyone seemed to know an cúlú would be somewhere.

What are ye all focusing on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

The EU (incorporating lisbn treaty), maybe politicians, and most likely something regarding the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Maybe something on poverty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Mazda

Politics and something to do with teenagers. A teacher said it in my school. Apparently she has "connections" :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Everybody reckons that the recession is coming up but I don't think it will because it is too predictable, and that exact essay came up in 2009. I know it's topical, but it doesn't have to be topical to come up on the paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Yeah I mean the recession came up last year. BUT something could come up to do with an interview with a TD about the recession.

Europe, violence, health system... the usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

Part of me is thinking the Eaglais Caitliceach, then part of me thinks that thats a bit to controvesial. Any ideas?

Other than that: Problems facing teens today (was on both mocks- one a straight essay, the other in the form of a speech on alcohol) or politicians (also appeared on both mock papers)

Yeah I doubt the Church scandals will come up...."write an essay about the priests who...."

I've heard teen problems from a few people. Like drugs/alcohol etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MunchkinKid

Zephyr91 wrote: »
    I've heard teen problems from a few people. Like drugs/alcohol etc etc.

I would love if problems with teens came up its the only essay i've ever really learned properly! I would be made up...:rolleyes:
    Kinda relyin on paper 1, oral and listening for irish as there is absolutely no way i can learn the notes on 13 poems, 5 prose, 1 play and however much stair there is! Horrible irish....:confused:

stair is the handiest 30 marks in the whole exam. I'm not learning the whole stair course, just Ogham, Gaeilge mar Theanga Cheilteach, Tiochar Teangacha Iasachta, Colaiste Lovain, Ruraiocht + 2 stories (Tain Bo Cuailgne and Oidne Clainne Uisngh), Fiannaiocht + Toraiocht Dhiarmada agus Grainne, Meath sa Ghaeilge, na Gluaiseanna, Meath na Gaeilge sa 19u haois + Athbheochan, An Dan Gra, An Aisling, An Bhealoideas and finally scoileanna na mBard.

Just learning 3 points from each (roughly 1 copy page) will see u through 30 marks

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Geard

The obvious one would be the big freeze!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Messi 10

Another possibility would be an essay on the GAA as last year was it's 125th anniversary.

The big freeze was around December and January and I think the paper is made some time around october or november so that would rule out the big freeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Ye I think I'm gonna focus on social problems like drugs and alcohol and try to relate them to youth because that was the essay on our mocks. Politics aswell seems probable. Maybe link it in with the recession and that jazz?

I don't think the church being there tbh. I can't see them inviting people to just take pot shots at an organisation which runs so many second level schools. Also an issue like that seems too sensitive for LC level.

That's true!!

And, maybe the big freeze won't come up but something about weather might? Seeing as there was floods (and later the Big Freeze) in Ireland, and a massive earthquake in Haiti. Maybe.

Imagine if none of this came up, and something like "Immigration in Ireland" did. How sick would we be.

Imagine if none of this came up, and something like "Immigration in Ireland" did. How sick would we be.

Or swine flu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

If immigration comes up I'm writing about racism.

The swine flu one though would be tougher to twist though. I mean you can't just spin an essay criticising the health service into one criticising the health service's response to swiner.

I think I might cover myself and try to prepare a decent essay on the swine actually. It was pretty topical around October/November.

If immigration comes up I'm writing about racism.

The swine flu one though would be tougher to twist though. I mean you can't just spin an essay criticising the health service into one criticising the health service's response to swiner.

I think I might cover myself and try to prepare a decent essay on the swine actually. It was pretty topical around October/November.

If you prepare a decent Swine Flu essay, send it my way. ;) :P I wouldn't even be able to write about it in English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ger2

Hmmmm...I've been preparing Immigration all year, along with the usual, drugs alcohol etc....but apparently thats a big one??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ash_c

Hi guys, im thinkin global warming...maybe problems in teenage life ,politics,and the church, i think the church is 2 big an issue at da moment for them to leave out.
    But der jus wot iv got 4m my grinds teacher...who knows??

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Sugar. I haven't even started preparing any essay's yet, is that bad?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Ger2 wrote: »
    Hmmmm...I've been preparing Immigration all year, along with the usual, drugs alcohol etc....but apparently thats a big one??

Would emmigration not be more likely to come up concidering we don't have much immigration atm?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

What about dífhostaíocht?

It'd probably be too obvious to put up an essay an the cúlú directly, but dífhostaíocht would still be related to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

According to my grinds teacher Fadhbanna Daoine Óga or something along those lines will come up. Since the papers are written around October I think it's a good idea to look up news headlines from around then as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

Problems with young people and politicians ... I think something to do with the church might come up since it is appearing in the Foinse papers quiet a bit! Maybe something on the letter that the pope sent to Ireland ... ? Jus ideas :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

We were told that they will proberly stay well clear of the Church..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

Maybe unemployment won't be mentioned because since so many parents in families have lost jobs, the students could get upset if they have to write an essay on it?
    Just something I have heard a few times ? :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Messi 10

Sugar. I haven't even started preparing any essay's yet, is that bad?:pac:

No it's not. As far as I'm concerned learning off essays is ridiculous. Think of all the time it takes up. Also if you just learn an essay off by heart your pretty much bunched if something comes up that you haven't prepared.

Much better to just learn off a few handy phrases and a bit of a general introduction which can be pretty much used for any essay.

If you write out an essay yourself and learn it off then fair enough but I don't think it's right to take an essay written by say your teacher or a grinds school or whatever and reproduce it as your own on the day. It's sort of cheating in a lot of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Hey what's the best Irish HL revision book out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oaf66

ash_c wrote: »
    Hi guys, im thinkin global warming...maybe problems in teenage life ,politics,and the church, i think the church is 2 big an issue at da moment for them to leave out.
    But der jus wot iv got 4m my grinds teacher...who knows??

speaking of...does anyone know where I could get my hands on something to do with the Church scandal please???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I am keeping all the Foinse papers for anyone who has not for possible essay titles for this coming year. Just so ye know.

Advertisement