Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin Myers or Not Kevin Myers? That is the question.

Options
  • 06-04-2010 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

I see 'Kevin Myers' user-name was changed to 'Not Kevin Myers'.
    Presumably that means he wouldn't be able to log in if he tried, whoever that user may be. That doesn't seem very fair or welcoming.
    It seemed like Kevin Myers to me. Who decided it wasn't and surely it's against a rule somewhere to change a users name like that, regardless???
    He's hardly the first gimmick poster on here, if that was the case.
    Seems to me like a wasted opportunity to have someone like him posting here and I was looking forward to meeting him at the AH beers.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats not actually Kevin Myers anymore than Pat Kenny and Tom Dunne are the real McCoys either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

Well his gib was cut very close to Myers.
    What criteria were used to decide it wasn't him?
    And is it allowed to change a users name like that?

I'm guessing no-one in thier right mind (no jokes) would use thier real name on boards.

Is he a paying member? If so he can change his name as and when he fancies I think. People have requested a name change. Indeed Mordeth found his name being changed randomly at one point about 18 months ago by an Admin/Cmod (twas a bit of fun) .

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm guessing no-one in thier right mind (no jokes) would use thier real name on boards.

Is he a paying member? If so he can change his name as and when he fancies I think. People have requested a name change. Indeed Mordeth found his name being changed randomly at one point about 18 months ago by an Admin/Cmod (twas a bit of fun) .

There's a thread slagging Myers in Ah, someone calling themselves Kevin Myers registers and engages with the punters.
    Given the way he conducted himself and what he had to say, there's a good possibility it was the real Kevin Myers.
    Now if someone goes and changes his name, presumably he can't log in again.
    Unless I'm missing something here, the whole thing is lacking in courtesy, if nothing else.

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    Unless I'm missing something here !!

• Advertisement

Just went back over the thread, Did the "Kevin Myers" posts get deleted?

The name was changed I told ya.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65067436&postcount=257

Unless it's an admin wind-up, I don't see how this could go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Kevin Myers the journalist was in touch asking for confirmation that there was a member on the site impersonating him (as someone had asked him about it). We did check that the email we got was from the man himself and not someone else on a wind up :)

As a result of this I said I'd change this member's name to make it clear that it wasn't Kevin Myers the journalist (cause at this stage, I had no way of confirming that his name wasn't also Kevin Myers) as identity theft, even for a joke, is not cool or legal and there was potential to damage Mr Myers' livlihood if it was left as it was. I ran it past the person who owns the account and they said it was just for a bit of fun and there was no malice intended and that they were happy to have the name changed.

That's all there is to it.

Dav

Cheers.

I knew it. Kevin likes a to whip up a storm but is a also professional journalist and as such wouldn't see seen on After Hours (esp responding to the likes of Rebel Heart et al)!

• Advertisement

You were right. They don't call you Mike65 for nothing.
    You missed the real Joe Duffy in this thread earlier, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Dav wrote: »
    identity theft, even for a joke, is not cool

Alright easy with the morality lesson, GI Joe. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Kevin... is a also professional journalist
    LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Kevin Myers the journalist was in touch asking for confirmation that there was a member on the site impersonating him (as someone had asked him about it). We did check that the email we got was from the man himself and not someone else on a wind up :)

As a result of this I said I'd change this member's name to make it clear that it wasn't Kevin Myers the journalist (cause at this stage, I had no way of confirming that his name wasn't also Kevin Myers) as identity theft, even for a joke, is not cool or legal and there was potential to damage Mr Myers' livlihood if it was left as it was. I ran it past the person who owns the account and they said it was just for a bit of fun and there was no malice intended and that they were happy to have the name changed.

That's all there is to it.

Dav

:( I hate reasonable, logical explanations. :( They are boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

The truth sometimes can be. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Im the real snyper..just to confirm..

**enter eminem tune **
    "Could all the real snypers please stand up, please stand up"

*facepalm*

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Would the real Tom Dunne please stand up?

Oh, wait....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Jaysus. If ya weren't sitting down ya'd be a stand up act. :pac:

Oh dear.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

there was potential to damage Mr Myers' livlihood if it was left as it was.

Not like he needs a hand, he's perfectly capable of doing it himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    Oh dear.
    Awwww, do you just want this thread to die and people keep bumping it? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Not like he needs a hand, he's perfectly capable of doing it himself.

Why? Because he says what 50% of the population are thinking but too PC to say in public?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'd imagine there are plenty. I know of one off the top of my head, and there are plenty of Firstname+Surname Initial combos as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement