Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's say we do it........

Options
  • 06-04-2010 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭

Ok,

All our dreams come true and we win our last 5 games and lift the FA cup and we have our best season in the 13 odd years that I have supported them anyway.

How do you improve the team for next season? Do we need too? Will harry get a warchest as they say?

Maybe a touch ahead of myself but if we bomb from next weekend I would at least like to have had the chance to discuss the possibility of a champions league push.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I was thinking about this last week - what would we need to consistently challenge for 4th and higher? First of all would be a new right-back anyway. Corluka has cost us points this season and Walker isn't ready yet. We need to bite the bullet with King and Woodgate as well and get one or two quality centre backs, with Dawson and Bassong/other being the core. I'm not sure if Kaboul will become what we need and I'm also not sure how quickly Sandro will settle so we really need another established midfielder, preferably someone with a bit of guile - someone like Modric only bigger (not much of an ask, is it!!). I think we're sorted on the wings between Bentley and Lennon and Bale and Modric/Krancjar.

We need a backup keeper and we may also need to think about up front. Will Pav be the man to score 20 goals next season along with Defoe or do we need to cash in on him and get someone more reliable? What'll happen with Eidur?

So, in this order;

Right back
    Centre Back
    Centre Mid
    Backup keeper
    Striker

Actually, I saw his name mentioned in the Villa thread - Stephen Ireland. I think he'd be perfect for our midfield, if City would let him go (unlikely). He gets around the park, can score goals, can create - terrific player. Put him beside Wilson or Thudd and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Would be ideal but I'm afraid the irshman in me would hate to see him.

That and he's a little ****. What about belamy? I can also see one of citys strikers wanting out in the summer. Maybe Santa cruz?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Torres + Carrick back pls :D

Carrick would be ideal wouldn't he?

Anyone worth looking at from the teams that go down I wonder? Maybe Parker if west ham go
    down?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't take Parker now. Rumours are that he has turned us down twice now (Chelsea & West Ham) and if that's true then best of luck, but you're not wanted at Spurs. Carrick is an interesting proposition though. He's obviously failed at Utd and lots of fans saying Fergie will get rid of him. He was pivotal to our success a few seasons back and I wonder what himself and Wilson would be like the middle. He's very similar to Thudd though and you'd have to wonder if he has much more to offer, considering Thudd is younger and possibly has more potential.

I'd be worried about any dealings with Utd in case they ended up trying to poach Modric :eek:

I wonder is there any bad blood between the two clubs after the berbatov (delighted for him after last night btw) deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I think we need to sort out our CB situation anyway, however it could be hard to find a taker for Woodgate, so if we kept him and went out and bought another top CB that would leave us with 6 quality CBs which could be a difficult situation for Harry to manage. Ideally I'd like us to sell Woodgate and buy a similar quality player who can stay fit. That would leave us with 4 plus Ledley when fit.

It goes without saying that Jenas should get the door, so I'd take O'Hara back and we still probably need another CM, Ireland could be an ideal fit.

My main concern would be hanging on to our key guys - Lennon, Bale and Luka mainly. The difference between us and the top teams is that one world class player who pulls a game out of the fire and makes everyone around him look a better player (Fabregas, Rooney, Drogba). So a true world class striker would elevate us to another level.. David Villa please Levy :)

Edit: I'd agree that a new RB is a priority, Charlie is decent but he goes to sleep on occasion. I don't think the standard of RB is great in the Premier League though so maybe we look for Naughton or Walker to develop into a right-footed Bale!

Advertisement