Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paying insurance for 16v Punto when it's only 8v

• 06-04-2010 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi, I recently purchased a Punto 1.2 model, when I went to insure it with axa they said it is a sports 16v version, I said nope plain old standard model, she said that she can't change it on system as that's what it's registered as! No choice but to insure it as 16v Sport model !! :mad::(

Any advice as to how to rectify this??

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

HAve someone else in AXA change it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭andy winter

Anan1 wrote: »
    HAve someone else in AXA change it?

Tried that, just gave me the same old ''we can not change it here on our system'' blah blah

Would the Motor Tax Office help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What system is it registered as a 16v on? Is it down as a 16v on the VLC or just on the AXA database? Are you sure it isn't actually a 16v engine? Or might it have had a 16v engine in the past? Finally, does it make any difference to the quote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Perhaps there's a comment section "in the system" they can add that you called in about this so there's no problem later if you need to claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It most likely either has been re-engined at some stage (the 8V's die; often; so it could have had a 16V put in and the VLC changed) or there was an error on day 1.

Whats the insurance price difference anyway? It won't be nothing but it shouldn't be much, we're talking about 15bhp in an old, very cheap car.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    What system is it registered as a 16v on? Is it down as a 16v on the VLC or just on the AXA database? Are you sure it isn't actually a 16v engine? Or might it have had a 16v engine in the past? Finally, does it make any difference to the quote?

I think it's registered on VLC as ELX model punto.

Yes my insurance is higher.

No it's not a 16V engine, I asked the guy who sold me the car was it ever a 16v but he said no.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Just checked online for a quote for myself, no difference in price between a 16V Sport and 8V non-Sport.

1.2 ELX 16v is 85hp with a significantly higher internal spec compared to 1.2 8v being 60hp so that would have some impact

again - what is written on the VLC?

Confab wrote: »
    Just checked online for a quote for myself, no difference in price between a 16V Sport and 8V non-Sport.

with Axa??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

with Axa??

No, with Bestquote.

• Advertisement

A friend suggested to wait until I get the log book in the post and then go too motor tax office to get it rectified, not sure if that would sort it

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    It very easy to tell if its a 8v or 16v engine, I have the 8v and I was going to upgrade to a sporting model. I wouldnt let them lump you into a higher bracket just because they "cant" change it. Wouldnt your insurance be invalid as they have you down in a different model? If you had modified your car to have more bhp didnt tell them and you crashed they would have a hissy fit.

Defo NOT a 16v, no alloys, spoiler, etc...

I`d shop around I wouldnt pay extra for something I didnt have!

Getting on the phone now to AXA, I had to get it insured asap but your'e right, why pay over the odds for something I don't have!!
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Wouldnt your insurance be invalid as they have you down in a different model? If you had modified your car to have more bhp didnt tell them and you crashed they would have a hissy fit.

I doubt your insurance would be invalid, but I would still be inclined to write into them stating the exact spec once it's confirmed. Similar happened to me (had me in a 523 not a 525), so I covered my ass and wrote into them stating the exact model.

eoin wrote: »
    I doubt your insurance would be invalid, but I would still be inclined to write into them stating the exact spec once it's confirmed. Similar happened to me (had me in a 523 not a 525), so I covered my ass and wrote into them stating the exact model.

Good advice, probably would not hurt to send in some pics of engine and body etc... :rolleyes:

Just got log book in the post for my OO punto,

It states that the model is ;

(D.2) FIAT PUNTO 1.2 ELX (model/version) :mad:

(J.5) 1242 CC (basis of assesment for road tax)

(P.1) 1242 (engine capacity)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Defo NOT a 16v, no alloys, spoiler, etc...

This is your answer...
    MYOB wrote: »
    1.2 ELX 16v is 85hp with a significantly higher internal spec compared to 1.2 8v being 60hp so that would have some impact

The Sporting wasn't the only model to come with the 16 valve engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I would get the VIN and ring FIAT Ireland and see if they can tell you - unless someone here can tell you a way to tell for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

MYOB wrote: »

ELX 16v wasn't ever sold in Ireland. only the HLX 5dr and Sporting 3dr got the 1.2 16v engines.

ELX 16v available in the UK alright.

The 8 valve ELX models have ELX badge on the boot, 16v models have ELX with 16v written underneath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

my broker put my car down as an Octavia Elegance by accident.
    I rectified this with them over the phone and confirmed I was insured on an Octavia vRS,only cost me an extra tenner for the year policy.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    ELX 16v wasn't ever sold in Ireland. only the HLX 5dr and Sporting 3dr got the 1.2 16v engines.

ELX 16v available in the UK alright.

The 8 valve ELX models have ELX badge on the boot, 16v models have ELX with 16v written underneath.

Could be an import, in theory. Likelyhood is low though!

Uploaded pics

more pics added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShiresV2

Thats the 8v FIRE engine alright, the exact same one thats in my girl.

Just to confirm, based on the pic it's definitely an 8v.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yep, deffo an 8v. the 16v has a proper airbox instead of a saucepan on top of the engine!

The logbook would have 16v on the description if it was one. it's the insurance company's mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

What year is the car, not 1999 by any chance? The facelifted MkI Punto ELX came with a 1242 16v engine. The MkII ELX came with a 1242 8v engine. The changeover happened in late 1999. Could this be the cause of the confusion, different generations of the same model.

Edit: sorry, typo, the MkII came with the 8v.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    What year is the car, not 1999 by any chance? The facelifted MkI Punto ELX came with a 1242 16v engine. The MkII ELX came with a 1242 16v engine. The changeover happened in late 1999. Could this be the cause of the confusion, different generations of the same model.

on log book;

(B2) 2000 year of manufacture

(B1) 10-Jul-2000 Date of first licensing in ireland

Advertisement