Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Angelus

• 06-04-2010 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Anyone else think it's about time we got rid of the angelus. It's our tv license money that pays for it.

If you had a show called "The Atheist Hour" you'd have aul biddies complaining that their license money is going to poor use.

So why don't we kick up a bit of a fuss about the angelus?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

tadghoc wrote: »
    Anyone else think it's about time we got rid of the angelus. It's our tv license money that pays for it.

If you had a show called "The Atheist Hour" you'd have aul biddies complaining that their license money is going to poor use.

Pick our battles tbh. I'd rather focus on separation of religious influence from schools.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I thought someone important had died when I first encountered the bongs whilst waiting for the news to come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

It hardly costs a lot, and its better than most adverts tbh. So I don't think theres a case to be made from the "I'm paying the license fee" argument.

When less than 50% put Christianity on the census I think you'll have a point.

If it lasted an hour rather than 30 secs then yeah thats an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

Why not get rid of everything you don't like on t.v. then? I don't like the lotto draw being broadcast, I think it's pointless, and it's taxpayers money paying for that....;)
    I'm not being argumentative, but there is a certain amount of the population who are probably still quite religious, and like/enjoy the Angelus. At the end of the day, I doubt the budget is huge on it, and it's only a minute long. I like it because it reminds me that I've only got a minute before the news starts & I should really have my cuppa ready!
    Maybe in another 10/15 years time, when that generation has gone on, and the country is populated by mainly lapsed Catholics/agnostics/differing religions, it'll be gone....maybe...!

Edit: iUseVi, I think you just read my mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

itac wrote: »
    Why not get rid of everything you don't like on t.v. then? I don't like the lotto draw being broadcast, I think it's pointles, and it's taxpayers money paying for that....;)
    I'm not being argumentative, but there is a certain amount of the population who are probably still quite religious, and like/enjoy the Angelus. At the end of the day, I doubt the budget is huge on it, and it's only a minute long. I like it because it reminds me that I've only got a minute before the news starts & I should really have my cuppa ready!
    Maybe in another 10/15 years time, when that generation has gone on, and the country is populated by mainly lapsed Catholics/agnostics/differing religions, it'll be gone....maybe...!

I agree, tbh I hardly watch RTE at all these days. Maybe if theres a good film on and then they'll ruin that by cutting off the credits. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tadghoc

Memnoch wrote: »
    Pick our battles tbh. I'd rather focus on separation of religious influence from schools.

Baby steps.
    iUseVi wrote: »
    It hardly costs a lot, and its better than most adverts tbh. So I don't think theres a case to be made from the "I'm paying the license fee" argument.

It's more a matter of principle than cost. There's also some other show a prayer before bed or something along those lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I find it quite handy. You can catch the headlines on the BBC and then switch over to RTE for the start of the news.

Anyway, a lot of people seem to like it. I can't see the point myself; if you wanted a minute of quiet reflection couldn't you do that during the ad breaks? Or tape it once and play it back whenever you felt the need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Why not get rid of everything you don't like on t.v. then? I don't like the lotto draw being broadcast, I think it's pointles, and it's taxpayers money paying for that....;)

I can see it now:
    Old Catholic Woman: wasn't that a lovely angelus...I wonder what they'll have on tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Yep but maybe we could start airing the Islamic call to prayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Baby steps.
    Attacking the Angelus wouldn't be a stepping stone to anything. It would be seen as a petty and vindictive move; take the Angelus from people who are genuinely attached to it, and for what?

It would be a pyrrhic victory. A campaign against the Angelus would hinder progress in important areas like the secularisation of the school system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't give a darn if they show the Angelus or not. A few bongs, some folk reflecting, whatever!

What I do think is that people calling for the Angelus to be pulled are going to turn plenty of nominally religious people against secularist folk with a real agenda - such as ending church involvement in state run schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I really think there are bigger fish to fry than taking a tape recorded bell off the tv. We should instead take religion out of the constitution and out of schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Dong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

dvpower wrote: »
    Attacking the Angelus wouldn't be a stepping stone to anything. It would be seen as a petty and vindictive move; take the Angelus from people who are genuinely attached to it, and for what?

It would be a pyrrhic victory. A campaign against the Angelus would hinder progress in important areas like the secularisation of the school system.

I'm with you on this. It would come across as petty to the extreme. I'd rather see the paedophile priests brought to justice and the scholl system revamped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

The angelus is merely a reminder that Thr Simpsons is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

mehfesto wrote: »
    The angelus is merely a reminder that Thr Simpsons is on.

Classic, pity it's not funny any more.
    I really think there are bigger fish to fry than taking a tape recorded bell off the tv. We should instead take religion out of the constitution and out of schools.
    Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm with you on this. It would come across as petty to the extreme. I'd rather see the paedophile priests brought to justice and the scholl system revamped.

I have a DREAM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Why don't we get rid of the modern western calender and use Star Trek's star date as well.
    After all, some of the months are named after ancient gods that we shouldn't have to worship.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    Why don't we get rid of the modern western calender and use Star Trek's star date as well.
    After all, some of the months are named after ancient gods that we shouldn't have to worship.

Sorry? You worship Thor because there is a day named after him? :confused:

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

The calendar doesn't require a belief in god, fairies or the borg. Also, it's pretty useful.

Sorry? You worship Thor because there is a day named after him? :confused:
    Yea, totally!!!
    The calendar doesn't require a belief in god, fairies or the borg. Also, it's pretty useful.
    The same could be said about the Angelus, no?
    Both the calender and the Angelus have religious origins but have outlived this.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Yea, totally!!!

The same could be said about the Angelus, no?
    Both the calender and the Angelus have religious origins but have outlived this.

Er. No. The Angelus is religious worship thing is it not? It serves no purpose other than for the religious. Or is it an alarm clock for the unemployed? And wasn't the calendar adopted by Julius Caesar?

Maximilian wrote: »
    Er. No. The Angelus is religious worship thing is it not? It serves no purpose other than for the religious. Or is it an alarm clock for the unemployed? And wasn't the calendar adopted by Julius Caesar?

That's how it started anyways. A few minutes of the day to take time to pray AFAIK. But Iit has gone beyond that and is now merely an RTE tradition in my opinion.
    The calender was adopted by Caeser but was religious in origin. i.e. January is called after the Roman god Janus, February is named after the Roman god Februus.

The people that demand that the Angelus be taken off air should be equally outraged by the sinister, religious Roman calender. :)

The people that demand that the Angelus be taken off air should be equally outraged by the sinister, religious Roman calender. :)
    You're continuing to miss the point.

Just because the Angelus is a tradition doesn't mean it isn't still serving the same purpose it was originally intended for. It's a religious interlude. The bells are church bells. They images may not be all nuns and rosary beads like it used to be but it hasn't become secular imitation - non-religious don't get called to prayer by bells.

The Roman calender is simply days and months.

Just because the Angelus is a tradition doesn't mean it isn't still serving the same purpose it was originally intended for. It's a religious interlude. The bells are church bells. They images may not be all nuns and rosary beads like it used to be but it hasn't become secular imitation - non-religious don't get called to prayer by bells.

Well until the Angelus does show nuns and rosary beads or tries to ram Catholicism down my throat I'm putting it in the same category as the Roman calender (in terms of things worth caring about.)

Well until the Angelus does show nuns and rosary beads or tries to ram Catholicism down my throat I'm putting it in the same category as the Roman calender (in terms of things worth caring about.)

The Angelus is a call to prayer. Comparing it to the calandar is like comparing it to the metric system. Go the whole hog and say you agree with prayers, as long as they are in japanese and you can't understand them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

The Islamic Mullahs use somerthing similar to call their punters to prayer - or is it merely to emphasise control.
    I'd have thought that prayer is a spontaneous opening that may occur anytime and any place without prompting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

hiorta wrote: »
    I'd have thought that prayer is a spontaneous opening that may occur anytime and any place without prompting.

That's Irritable Bowel Syndrome you're thinking of. Easy mistake to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

:) Aye, right enough. There are similarities.

Here we agree. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Flash86

Personally, I love watching people staring into the middle distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

it lets me know its 6 o'clock, leave it on

Advertisement