Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for GSD Pup

Options
  • 06-04-2010 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi, I am looking for a German Shepard pup to buy.
    Can anybody recommend a good breeder. The parents have to be hip scored. I am looking for a straight back or flat back, not sure what the proper name is. I do not want a pup from show lines as I don't like the slope back. Hate it actually. Parents must be of good temperament and both parents must be able to be seen. So can any one help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Have you tried contacting the IKC and see if they can put you in touch with any good breeders?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

That's a good idea, my family and I were wary of backyard breeders/puppy farms when we decided to get our Beagle so we got in touch with the Secretary of the Irish Beagle Club and he gave us a few pointers and said he'd keep an ear out if there was a litter going. We eventually found our pup on donedeal.ie. We were wary of trade websites as some of the puppies advertised looked a bit dodgy, but there were plenty of authentic-looking breeders up there. Turned out our pup was descended from a Beagle who'd been born to a Beagle owned by the secretary of the Irish Beagle Club.

Basically if you speak to somebody in the know, they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

would you consider the rescue option? there are a few here http://www.irishanimals.ie/gsdall_homes.html

i took a liking to "Tonto"

tn_65_TONTO.jpg
    Click on the thumbnail for a larger imageTonto
    My name is Tonto, I am only 11mths old and am a German Shepherd mix. I am a big boy so I will require a nice big fenced garden or yard. I will require two long walks per day, I am super good on the lead. I am a family pet and would suit a home with children over 16yrs old. MSPCA dogs are/will be spayed or neutered. They are vaccinated, microchipped and treated for fleas/worms. The Monaghan SPCA Shelter is located between Emyvale and Aughnacloy (off the N2, 1 mile from the border). Open Monday to Saturday 1.00pm to 4.00pm or by appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

I breed that type the old type gsd and have not only the parents but also the grand parents and great grand parents.my pups are usually booked well before they are born and only available to strictly approved homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

took me a few tries to find a breeder that i really felt 100% comfortable with when getting my fella, finally found one just outside west meath.

PM if you would like the details or some pics of my fella. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 greensleep

Lovely dog Paul, just what I am looking for. Unfortunately I have a 2 year old and they state children over 16.
    Star Pants I would not go near the IKC or ask them for a list of breeders. They are the very ones that have the poor German Shepard's the way the are. With their hocks nearly on the ground and breeding GSD with hip scores of 18 and sometimes over.
    If the IKC changed the breed standard for the GSD maybe we would see more healthy specimens out there instead of the poor unhealthy dogs we now see in the breed ring now.
    I am looking for an old fashioned type GSD with a level back with good strong working lines. Not one of these show dogs that could not even jump a fence or go for a 3 mile run with out his hips nearly given way.
    Nothing personal, but I feel strongly about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

greensleep wrote: »
    Lovely dog Paul, just what I am looking for. Unfortunately I have a 2 year old and they state children over 16.
    Star Pants I would not go near the IKC or ask them for a list of breeders. They are the very ones that have the poor German Shepard's the way the are. With their hocks nearly on the ground and breeding GSD with hip scores of 18 and sometimes over.
    If the IKC changed the breed standard for the GSD maybe we would see more healthy specimens out there instead of the poor unhealthy dogs we now see in the breed ring now.
    I am looking for an old fashioned type GSD with a level back with good strong working lines. Not one of these show dogs that could not even jump a fence or go for a 3 mile run with out his hips nearly given way.
    Nothing personal, but I feel strongly about this.

oops sorry about that - fair play to you on sticking your ground around the IKC - good look with the hunt - oh for the "straight" back i think the technical term is "Working Shepherd" as opposed to slope back who are "Show Shepherds" u could try these guys also for help

http://www.germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

http://shammerdookennels.webs.com/ I have no pups available at present i have a friend in Galway area who will have pups end of may both parents are hip scored .

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sambor

Hi,
    The best way is go on http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/location_of_breeders.html?vregion=&vcountry=IE&vbreed=german_shepherd_dog and there u have map of breeders so u can see all GS breeders in Ireland. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

I have a white longhaired gsd puppy and spent 9 months trying to find a good breeder. We ended up going to England to get him as there is way more choice of fantastic breeders there. Its also really easy to bring them back on the ferry.
    I found his breeder through www.epupz.co.uk . You have to pay a flat fee to view the most recent posts but it was the best tenner i've ever spent as it found me my breeder and puppy:)
    Best of luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement