Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireworm??? SOS

Options
  • 06-04-2010 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm a beginner vegetable grower this year and have planted potatoes (British Queens) in a few of my raised beds, Out of curiosity and the want to see what way and how quick things grow I said I would sacrifice a seed after 2 weeks.I went out today and dug up 1 of the seeds (planted the saturday after Paddy's day) and on inspection found some kind of grub sticking out of the seed(by looking online it looks like a wireworm?).I purchased a load of topsoil last year and put it into the raised beds,no manure, fertiliser or pesticides has been applied to the beds. Im looking for advice on the best way to move forward here as I dont want my crop to fail on the 1st attempt,Should I treat the soil with a pesticide?should i be applying some kind of vertiliser now or is my crop beyond saving???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

dirty rotten buggers

we had problems with them before,i cant remember whtawe nuked them with,will find out

meanwhile,have a look here for some nature friendly ideas

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=875

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

the old cure was a little white lime on the seed, now it seems that the spud does not like lime, catch 22, i always used it as it worked,

Advertisement