Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation between Rafters

Options
  • 06-04-2010 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm building a new house at the moment and am uncertain of which type of insulation to put between my rafters. I have been looking at the 100 mm Rafterloc stuff, seems quite good but expensive. Somebody has already suggested using frametherm, a type of wool material that will expand slightly to compleatley fill any gaps or joints and it's half the price and the same U value, but it's 140 mm. Does anybody have any experience with either of these or any alternatives?

It might be worth mentioning that i've used Tyvek Supro membrane so am I right in saying i dont need to install roof vents and i only need to leave 25 MM of space between the felt and the insulation?

Any advice at all would be great,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Gerry_G

Hi,

Ok Tyvek Supro felt there is no need for vents however if you use RafterLoc you must leave a minimum gap of 50mm or else your roof will release condensation. BUT there is a product called Metac Insulation @20kg density. Put it right up against your felt. Counter batton then slab. U Value achieved at not near the price of rafterloc. Very handy and a goog good job

Advertisement