Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brake problem vw passat

• 06-04-2010 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭

My brakes keep locking on my car when i am driving. I have just abandoned my car in a hotel carpark!
    What happens is i am driving, if i touch the brake pedal at all, it is rock hard and too sensitive, so i know it is going to happen.
    I had it into vw garage a few months ago with same problem, they said it was the slide caliper on the rear, replaced that and the pads.
    On thursday last week, it happened again, had to leave it in a shopping centre carpark. Had a look at the wheels and the pads are jammed against the discs. With the handbrake off, i couldnt even push the car an inch.
    Just now i tried to park on a slope, no handbrake needed.
    From previous experience, the car should be alright to drive again by tomorrow, but obviously something is seriously wrong.
    Any ideas what?
    its a 2002 vw passat tdi.
    thanks

ps thank god for free hotel wifi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Was the ABS light on? Could be the master cylinder, could be the ABS control module. Seems to be a common enough problem on the '01-'03 Passat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

very common problem on this car, blocked drains under windscreen allow water into brake servo when pedal is depressed. After a while prevents the master cylinder from returning fully and causes brake lock. the hard pedal you describe is part of the same problem as water may be drawn into the vacuum pump.
    most garages should be aware of this problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

crosshair1 wrote: »
    very common problem on this car, blocked drains under windscreen allow water into brake servo when pedal is depressed. After a while prevents the master cylinder from returning fully and causes brake lock. the hard pedal you describe is part of the same problem as water may be drawn into the vacuum pump.

+1
    Likely scenario,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

crosshair1 wrote: »

thanks, would the master cylinder need to be replaced then, or is it just a matter of fixing the blocked drain?
    Spent way too much fixing this car recently, so need to keep costs down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

Usually only the servo needs to be replaced, on some I've had to replace the tandem pump (diesel and vacuum) on the back of the head due to water being drawn through and dumped into the engine oil causing poor vacuum.
    The cost of servo approx 280+vat, tandem pump is approx 400+vat from memory
    worst case scenarion about €1k+vat, you may go for 2nd hand t.pump but for the servo you have to go new as this is such a common problem and cars in breakers yards usually have water in servo.
    Regards

• Advertisement
Advertisement