Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old dog

Options
  • 06-04-2010 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

My parents took a old cavalier out of a pound 2 yrs ago, she was in that bad condition that they couldnt really age her, put her at between 8-13???. Anyhows she has a really bad heart(no surprise there) which is been managed by her meds. In fact her heart was in a lot worst state last year, thought she would have to be PTS.
    The problem now with her is that she seems to get very confused. She has always been my mams dog but know seems at times not to know her and gets very upset when my mam sits next to her, before she would leave my ma out of her sight. Mollie perfers to be by herself sometimes and then 10 mins later could be all over my parents again.
    Mollie is now completely deaf and looks like she could be going blind her eyes have got a blue tinge to them.
    My parents realise could be the reason and do be very careful that they approach gentley with out frightening her, but this confusion thing can also happen when she has been sitting on their knee for awhile.
    Do you think Mollie is happy like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Confusion and forgetfulness is quite common in dogs who reach a good old age, quite like humans.

TBH, I would hate to say either way whether I think your dog is happy like this. The only people who can make that call are her family, as nobody else knows her well enough to say.

In general, my attitude is that if the dog's tail is wagging and there's food in her belly, she can't be that bad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 greensleep

To my mind if they are eating, drinking and going to the toilet without difficulty, then they are all right. I think dogs let you know when its time for them to go by not doing one of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

seamus wrote: »
    Confusion and forgetfulness is quite common in dogs who reach a good old age, quite like humans.

TBH, I would hate to say either way whether I think your dog is happy like this. The only people who can make that call are her family, as nobody else knows her well enough to say.

In general, my attitude is that if the dog's tail is wagging and there's food in her belly, she can't be that bad :)

+1. If the dog's tail is wagging and she's eating well then she's enjoying life.

Advertisement